Sorry it's been a little while. I was admitted to the hospital for a kidney infection...
Anyways, I finally had my rear lights working only to troubleshoot about four different issues with them. The brake light on the right side was always on, even key out. The hazards did not work in the rear. Pushing the brake pedal did nothing to the rear lights. Furthermore, barely moving the turn signal cam changed the symptoms drastically. To figure out what was going on, I mapped the different signal flows and made a table showing which lights were illuminated or not and which ones were not how they should be. Made transparent sheets to lay over the wiring diagram and started drawing the troublesome circuits until I found points where they intersected. Narrowed it down to a blown wire that fed from the hazard supply to the turn signal cam, a brake switch that was just tucked up in the dash, broken blade springs behind the turn signal cam and my left bulb was bad (the glass rotated independent of the base).
Questions and comments:
Does anyone else think it is odd that the brake light switch is a constant 12v instead of an ignition 12v? I understand the necessity of haVing constant 12v hazards but not brake lights. And it is supposed to be that way because the supply bus on the fuse box is labeled and the other things in line with the brake lights are definitely supposed to be a constant 12v.
Also, I ordered a new turn signal cam a while back because I knew that the original had some wear on the edges that hold and return it. However, I can't seem to find the blade springs that keep the cam centered and assist in the return. Any input?
Has anyone replaced the rear shocks on these. I can't find a site that has an exact fit for it unless I remove them and take measurements.
Anyone have experience with getting the glass cut on these for a roof chop, or had your own glass shaped and tempered for a roof chop? I may have to make my own moulds and send them off to a temperer. I have some road rash all over the windshield from over the years, a chip on the back edge of my driver door glass and some white fogging at the windshield corners.
You can see where I had to disconnect the hazard feed on the cam because the wire was shot. I also cleaned up the terminals.
Then broken blade springs. I tried remaking them, but I'm pretty sure they are ductile iron given their harness, low malleability, and higher spring rate. I was almost tempted to try making them out of a hard plastic. Hmm...
Mocked up a temporary brake switch bracket, mostly just to get my angles and distances. I'll make a more proper one next weekend probably. I have it mounted on the steering column support frame currently.
I found out that my cluster is in fact ~89 omni. But that third connection is for some sort of circuit board. Contacted an eBay seller for a photo of the back. I'm trying to order it currently.
Lastly, my fender gap frustration. There are more fitment issues that just the corner, but that's the most apparent.