Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Official Rampage/Scamp Thread

120K views 605 replies 83 participants last post by  46066 
#1 ·
I've looked and searched and I didn't see one so let's make a official dodge rampage thread.

I love those little trucks

#561 ·
As the owner of an 83 Canadian Special Edition Rampage I find this forum to be very useful as a wide variety of issues are covered and you have so many experienced people to assist with troubleshooting and general backup knowledge. Sure it would be nice everynow and then to shout out if you are a Rampage captive so we get a handle on how many might be on this forum but I find it (the forum) to be very usefll. 83 has a Turbo 1, MP intercooled, MP computer and other goodies. It is waiting patiently for me to get back on the wrenches

#566 ·
I'm not figuring out what SCC is an acronym for. I did verify that my connections on the back of my cluster are on properly.

If it is at all related, the truck randomly just wouldn't start last Sunday. It also wouldn't start when I tried again Tuesday. Due to weather, I couldn't work on it until yesterday and then it just fired right up.

I still can't get the check engine light to flash codes though.

#569 ·
1982 and 1983 are pretty much the same other than late 1983 used different front fenders.

There was a change in the cowl around Feb 1983 that led to different fenders.

Most other things are interchangeable, 1984 had several changes including nose, hood and interior.

Thanks
Randy

#570 ·
Introducing myself. Just bought a 1984 Scamp GT, but haven't taken delivery of it yet. Rode my vintage 1974 Yamaha XS650 motorcycle from Austin to Houston with the intention of putting the bike in the bed and driving home. Unfortunately, the Scamp failed the test drive, so I ended up doing a 330 mile round trip motorcycle ride, which is a haul. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan
I'm still buying it, and now the seller is going to deliver it. Already a done deal.
The Scamp failed the test drive for a few reasons, some of which the owner figured out and fixed after I left. The worst was that it overheated. That turned out to be a bad thermostat. Next, it was really hard to shift into first. This turned out to be piece of plastic floormat that was stuck in the newly installed new shift kit. Third was an obnoxiously loud exhaust. Some kind of turbo exhaust issue that I don't fully undrstand yet, but should be easy to restore to the way it's supposed to be. And finally, the carb has idle issues. That may take a little looking into it. Otherwise, I'm pretty stoked!

#572 ·
Thanks. I'll have more to say, and probably lots of questions once I actually get it.
I already bought the Chilton's manual on eBay earlier today -- maybe not so great, but it was only $10.
Yeah, that downloadable manual is great, thanks for the link. And I did buy that pair of factory manuals on eBay that you linked to.

#574 ·
It's been quite some time since I have been here. Spent many many months deployed downrange. Finally on shore duty for some R&R though. Hoping during this time I get to start tearing into the old girl again... This time I hope to really rough her up. Hard to believe I've driven her four years (minus deployments) as a daily and only had the rare electrical gremlin here and there.

Current headache: after spot welding and tweaking the hell out of my inner door latches, I am finally at my wit's end with them. I think I stretched every bit of life possible from them. Has anyone put some universal bear claw latches on? With the Rampage's two-piece latch, I would love to see someone's setup. I could certainly imagine some possibilities, but most seem to be complicated by the orientation of the push rods coming from inside the door. Maybe I'm just overlooking something. I don't want power locks or any of that fancy wizardry.

Future headache: I am going to put a 3.9 or 5.9 Cummins in her... Don't recall if I discussed that before. I should be turning the dies for a frame roller on my lathe here in the next month or so. I'll be using 2"x4" fully boxed pipe for the frame.

#581 ·
The guy selling the door is too expensive. Looking through his listed Rampage parts he wants $35.00 + $12.55 for shipping for the used clutch cable, which is less than $20.00 NEW at Rock Auto.
The door hinges are welded on, don't think it's an easy part swap when changing L-Body doors. I once tried swapping the passenger front door on my '86 GLHT, with a door from another '86 GLHT, the hinges were not in the same location!

#584 ·
Ouch... That's an expensive band-aid. There's no guarantee it works better than mine, haha. I do need a driver door glass though... I think I'm going to weld in some bear claw latches. I was just hoping someone here had already taken some of the guess work out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.