Headliner Ideas - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Interior Restoration or topics about the interior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

My Ride: 84 Dodge Rampage
Engine: 2.2L
Induct: S/C
1/4: 0.000

Headliner Ideas

I would welcome suggestions and/or recommendations regarding replacing the headliner on my 84 Rampage. Interior is charcoal grey and so was the headliner.

I pulled the back glass out for a separate project (see exterior post), and thought it would be easier to replace the headliner before putting it back on. The stock interior light is rudimentary at best, but there isn't any depth and the light is recessed in a metal cutout. I would really like to put in something better with map lights on both ends (like my Elantra). But I don't think anything else will fit. Saw a Rampage for sale on eBay last month that had an end to end overhead console installed. Asked him what it was and he said it was from a 98 Jimmy Blazer Bravada. Was a little long, but made it work with some rails in the roof and chopping off some of the back. It looks cool, but I think that's putting it over the top (literally).

I've seen and read the headliner sticky, and will reach out to @mopar318 and ask if he has any insights. However, I'm open to any ideas that could improve the looks, and actually be achievable. Here's a pic:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZakcFQYHKXfdqPw3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: Scamp GT

Re: Headliner Ideas

Depends how far you want to go. When I pulled my headliner I peeled off the cloth stuff that was coming loose and hanging anyway and replaced it with vinyl "rattle Snake" pattern and I chose Black. Then I found a place that sold 3/16 sheets of pretty stiff white foam and 3M'd it to the roof side of the cardboard headliner. For the over head lites I found an overhead console from a LeBaron coupe in a bone yard that gave me the lites, time, temp and direction. The mounting bracket for the console fit the L-body roof cross members just fine without modification and I just pulled all the wiring back beyond the passenger B-pillar and back underneath the dash and wired it in along with the sensor that was mounted to the under side of the front bumper and that wiring back to the bulkhead connector. Time and PITA? Probably a 7 on the 10 scale but very doable and I'm more then happy with the results.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-16-2016, 10:00 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Not the greatest picture, but I kept mine simple. Made a form from Pink insulating foam, and covered it with headliner material. Then glued it to the headliner.

The light is out of Dodge Caliber(bought off ebay). Gives plenty of light, and was easy to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-16-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@bigbarneycars , thanks a lot for sharing. I'll have a look at that LeBaron overhead console. That's a great idea to use vinyl instead of cloth! Will definitely have to see if I can do that.

@83scamp , you are the Jedi Master for our clan. I really like Caliber dome light as it has the map light buttons on it. You made it fit by enclosing it in a surface mount. There really isn't any clearance between the headliner and the roof. I've been struggling with that.

BTW, I'm going to use your rear window trim recommendation when I put it back in. I mock installed it along the top with a friend holding the glass to the cab, and it looked great!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Level 1 Supporter

My Ride: 83 Scamp GT
Engine: 2.2
Induct: N/A
1/4: 17.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwest View Post
@bigbarneycars , thanks a lot for sharing. I'll have a look at that LeBaron overhead console. That's a great idea to use vinyl instead of cloth! Will definitely have to see if I can do that.

@83scamp , you are the Jedi Master for our clan. I really like Caliber dome light as it has the map light buttons on it. You made it fit by enclosing it in a surface mount. There really isn't any clearance between the headliner and the roof. I've been struggling with that.

BTW, I'm going to use your rear window trim recommendation when I put it back in. I mock installed it along the top with a friend holding the glass to the cab, and it looked great!

Thanks, I forgot to mention, that by running one extra ground wire and anchoring it to the roof reinforcement over the windshield, it makes the buttons function. Remember, those lights are controlled by switching the ground. The 12V+ is always on. The door switch controls the -. I ended up cutting the plastic off the female connector on the light fixture, and soldering wires to it to connect to my original wiring. Now my lights work when I open the door, or when I push a button. Also, by moving it rearward in it's own housing like I did, it actually lights up the interior, unlike the original.

I simply cut a small piece of cardboard and filled in the original hole in the headliner backing, then glued on new fabric....

83 Scamp GT COTM APRIL '14
89 Daytona ES turbo, Daily driver
post #6 of 13 Old 07-17-2016, 11:43 AM
Boostaholic

Re: Headliner Ideas...x2

A couple things to know when you go vinyl Wildwest. (1) it's sold in 56" widths so 36"s = ONE YARD and you'll need TWO YARDS that you can buy almost anywhere. Just go on the web and pick what you like. (2) OVER LAP ON ALL SIDES WHEN YOU START AND WORK IN 6" OR 8" SECTIONS, you can cut glue and fold the edges after it's dry. And (3) Pick up a couple hypodermic syringes with the needles from a pharmacy where they know you and tell 'um why you want 'um. When you squirt the 3M glue understand that when you lay it down on your headliner board, IT'S DOWN and it ain't comin' back up and you WILL have a few bubbles in it. Those syringes you just bought work great for suckin' the air out of those bubbles thru' the rattle snake holes and makin' your new headliner look way pretty Jer
post #7 of 13 Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@83scamp , thanks for the dome light details. I haven't thought through the installation and the info you provided was invaluable to make it work correctly.

@bigbarneycars , would you be able to provide a link for the vinyl you sourced? After further research, it appears that vinyl used for headliners needs to be very thin, lightweight and flexible. I've done a cursory search, but would like to make sure that if I do use vinyl, it's doesn't cause premature sagging. I'm down here in Texas, and summers can be brutal on interiors. BTW, great idea for getting the bubbles out. Wished I could use that on phone and tablet screen protectors!
post #8 of 13 Old 07-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Boostaholic

Re: Headliner Ideas....And stuiff

Wildwest, I know all bout the summers in Tejas. My little ponderosa was on the corner at the south end of Gallant Fox Dr. and 1826, 'tween '94 and '99 'bout ah mile south of 290 west. Take ah cruise past that place when your on the way down 1826 to the "SALT LICK" for another samplin' of the ribs 'n brisket if you wanna see what a 28'X85' 6 stall detached playpen looks like(AND YES I DOOO MISS IT, I BUILT EVERY STICK OF IT MYSELF) As for the vinyl I used? All I can remember is that I liked the black with all kinds of little bitty holes in it and it costs about $25 per yard and theirs tons of it on the internet for redoing headliners with or without bows. Oh, and them little holes are perfect for stickin' the needles in for suckin' out all the air bubbles Do a web search and pick your poison. If you're worried about that cardboard headliner sagging down, Invest ah few bucks in some fiberglass, resin, and hardener and paint 3 or more 6" strips from side to side on the top of the cardboard as insurance. Piece-a -cake Jer
post #9 of 13 Old 07-19-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@bigbarneycars what a surprise you were in far SW Austin area! I'm in NW Austin, so it's rare for me to go down there. There's a Salt Lick now in Round Rock next to the baseball park, but it's not anywhere as good as the original in Driftwood. Nutty Brown Cafe is moving all the way to Round Rock next year too.

I've been thinking how to do what @83scamp did, would need some help as I've never been good with art projects. Your way sounds easier, but wouldn't the stripes cause ridges on the headliner material due to the increased thickness?

@83scamp , I've found a few of the Chrysler 200 dome lights on eBay. However, none of them come with a pigtail. I've looked myself silly trying to find where the wires connect to it. Also, if it's OK I'd like to PM my email address to you for the JPEG of the pic you posted. Want to zoom in on it for greater detail for the enclosure you made for the light. Could you also elaborate on the pink insulating foam that you used? I want to see if I can find that material to get a better understanding of how it was worked and shaped.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-20-2016, 07:14 AM
Boostaholic

NAW. That headliner board is between 1/8" and 3/32" thick and you'd be adding another 1/8" at most and you're putting that 1/8" on the roof side of the board not the headliner side. N.W Austin aye? Then you must do the cars and coffee on the S.E. corner of 183 & 1431. Used to be an Albertson's on that corner 'til one stormy evening in '98 I think. I was in Leander at a friends place that evening when the twister ate both side walls out and left the front and back walls standing and left nothing in between 'um, very scary! FWI Get on your 'puter and web search car-parts.com AND IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU PUT THAT "-" IN THERE AND WHEN IT COMES UP SCROLL DOWN 'TIL YOU FIND THE SITE WITH THAT DASH OR YOU'LL BE ON THE WRONG SITE.They say theirs 175,000,000 parts on that site. Fill in the blanks and go shopping. You stick with Greg (83Scamp) and I and you'll be the hit at cars and coffee in no time, Jer
post #11 of 13 Old 07-20-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@bigbarneycars , I took it to mean the headliner side instead. Thanks for the clarification.

You've been away for a long time it seems. If you looked at that intersection today you wouldn't recognize it. This town has been the fastest growing city in the nation 3 years running. Cedar Park has literally exploded, along with Round Rock. They can't build everything fast enough. City is literally choking on itself as there is only one interstate and a couple of major highways running through it. Traffic has turned into a nightmare and you wouldn't believe the road rage and crazy drivers. Gone is the sleepy capitol and college town you once knew.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Boostaholic

I have some what of a different opinion of how sleepy Austin is or ever was. The 1990 Head count was instrumental in our moving there in the mid '90s when My Wife and I retired THE FIRST TIME.(it was 463,xxx BTW) The Austin American banner headline in either late February or early March of 1996 was "WE PASSED ONE MILLION THIS WEEK". And I'm not sure where you were between late '86 and mid '98 but that's how long it took the sleepy construction crews working 12 months a year for 12 years to dig the ditch 8 miles long on Ben White from I-35 to Oak Hill. And we wonder why theirs grid lock in Austin and people get crabby? I spent my entire adult life behind the wheel of just about every manufacture of 18 wheeler's in the country starting in 1957 and stopping in 2003 and I think one of the things that irritated me most in all those years was the time I had to re-new My CDL in Austin and the DMV in Austin were giving the test for a regular operator's license in Spanish AND OR English, customers choice and I'm thinkin' WTF. I have never seen even one ALTO sign on any one of the farm to market cross roads around here, Have you? Where is this country headed? It was time to get out of Dodge by the summer of '99 when it started to take me up words of an hour to navigate from where we were a mile south of 290 west just west of Oak Hill to 3 miles east of 35 on 290 east to go to work. Sorry for my trip on the soap box. Let me know if and how I can help you with your '94 'Page. Both Greg(83Scamp) and I have been playing with these "FLTs" (funny little trucks) for over 25 years each. We both have learned a bunch in that amount of time and a big part of the fun in the hobby is passing it on, Jer
post #13 of 13 Old 07-21-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Level 2 Supporter

@bigbarneycars that's quite a trip down memory lane for ya. Me, I was in Uston during the 80s and 90s. Visited Austin a lot as I have a couple of old friends from my high school days that lived here. And I was a traveling salesman, put a lot of miles and miles across this state.

Thanks again for all your help. In my introduction to the forum I mentioned that this was my first Mopar ever. Grew up in a GM household. Been learning an awful lot, especially from here. Y'all are a really helpful and friendly bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page