Odometer Chip ID Requested - Page 7 - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

Interior Restoration or topics about the interior

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 105 Old 04-06-2017, 05:14 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: Dodge 600 ES Conv.
1/4: 0.000

Re: Odometer Chip ID Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser_doogie View Post
Just know that as a beta test unit, it may be a little flaky. If it malfunctions, I'd have you send the chip back to me with a description of the failure circumstances and we'd basically work the bugs out until it was rock solid at which point you'd keep a final version of the chip installed in your cluster. I was kind hoping to find a beta tester or two before I started selling these to the general forum. You'd only have to pay for any shipping involved. If your cluster has a soldered chip, we can do a single round of shipping the cluster and I'll install a socket to make any future swaps something you could do without re-shipping the cluster. What do ya think?
That sounds great, I actually posted sooner but it appears my post did not take?? Anyway, I will pull out the cluster from the car this weekend. I am more than willing to be a tester. This is the most hope I have seen to fix this issue. So, even if it is buggy, at least there is light at the end of the tunnel for the crazy folks that actually saved these cars. Please send me a PM if you like so we can also e-mail back and forth through this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 105 Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 AM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Chrysler Laser

Hello, yeah I lost a post on the same day. Anyways, I needed to order a programming socket for my Proto-2 ODO ROM programmer, so those will take several days to arrive. Once I have some units built up, programmed, and with some basic testing, I'll contact the both of you to arrange mailing them out for testing. Be sure to find out if your dash is socketed on the 600ES as you will either need to be handy with a soldering iron or will need to send the dash to me with return shipping pre-paid as well. We'll figure it out once you get your cluster out and have a look at it.
post #93 of 105 Old 04-18-2017, 01:46 PM
- OFFICIAL GEARHEAD -

My Ride: CSX/CS/GLHS
Engine: 2.2
Induct: Turbo

Quote:
Hello, yeah I lost a post on the same day. Anyways, I needed to order a programming socket for my Proto-2 ODO ROM programmer, so those will take several days to arrive. Once I have some units built up, programmed, and with some basic testing, I'll contact the both of you to arrange mailing them out for testing. Be sure to find out if your dash is socketed on the 600ES as you will either need to be handy with a soldering iron or will need to send the dash to me with return shipping pre-paid as well. We'll figure it out once you get your cluster out and have a look at it.
OK...just let me/us know. I have been playing with the navigator trying to use it to determine how many miles since last fill up. The navigator works fine and is counting miles but the Odo just shows '------'. So I think that the cluster electronics seem to be working but it is not reading the last stored mileage from the chip. Speculation on my part of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 105 Old 04-19-2017, 07:22 PM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Fantastic, I will have the cluster out next week and answer here. I am very excited that I may actually get back my odometer.
post #95 of 105 Old 05-07-2017, 03:00 PM
TD New Guy

Got the cluster out.

I believe I have a socketed ROM.

Cluster.

Chip pulled out of the socket.

Hope this is right..
post #96 of 105 Old 05-07-2017, 03:06 PM
TD New Guy

Yup, that's correct! I sent you a PM letting you know where to send the old ROM to. I'll see what data might be intact and we'll figure out what mileage to program the replacement module with.

Cheers.
post #97 of 105 Old 08-05-2017, 07:14 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 86 Barth Motorcoach

New to the board, have an 86 Barth Motorcoach with the Chrysler Dig. Dash that took a ----- crap. What is the status of these chips? I am in need of a fix soon. Need it for inspection at the end of the month. Thanks!
post #98 of 105 Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 PM
TD New Guy

Hi, Welcome to the forum! The ROM replacement module is being beta tested in a vehicle for just a few weeks now. I've put a few thousand miles on a bench powered dash with multiple key cycles and a pulse generator acting as the speed sensor, so I believe it should be ready to start selling soon. I'm still trying to figure out what to price these at. The parts cost is pretty low, but I've got a over a hundred hours in Research and Development time in this effort, and will probably only end up selling 20-50 of these total, I'm guessing. I'm thinking somewhere between $25 and $50 + shipping for these, which includes time spent attempting to extract data from the faulty chip in order to retrieve the last uncorrupted record of mileage.

But, first, I'd need to know if your Barth uses the same ROM chip and stores the data in the same way. Have you had the dash out of the vehicle and found a socketed GI branded chip like the one shown above? We might be cutting it close to get you something by the end of the month. Feel free to PM me to start the process, though. That goes for anyone else on the forum who needs one of these chips as well.
post #99 of 105 Old 08-06-2017, 05:52 PM
TD New Guy

Just saw that you tried to send a PM, but my inbox was full. I just cleared out some space. I may need to upgrade to a premium membership so that I get a larger message box.
post #100 of 105 Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM
TD New Guy

Quote:
Just saw that you tried to send a PM, but my inbox was full. I just cleared out some space. I may need to upgrade to a premium membership so that I get a larger message box.
Just resent. I wondered what happened to it as it disappeared from my sent pm box.
post #101 of 105 Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 AM
TD New Guy

You did get the second pm right? Just making sure I don't need to have x number of posts before getting full privledges like some other sites.
post #102 of 105 Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 PM
TD New Guy

Just a quick update on my experience with this chip from @laser_doogie ..... THIS IS FANTASTIC!

Plugged in the chip... replaced the cluster.... and like magic... my odometer is back! Ran it a few cycles and mileage is reading correctly.

I am so happy I found this thread! I thought I was sunk when it came to my odometer...

Thanks so much!
post #103 of 105 Old 11-21-2017, 05:08 PM
TD New Guy

Garage

Hi...I'm the goof with the 85 Laser XT that was complaining about the 6 dashes in my digital odometer display, without really having read through and understanding the issue in this thread. So I'd be interested in considering a replacement chip simliar to Jeff600es. I saw the mileage a few weeks ago, at 108,500 just before it went blank. Is laser_doogie still open to folks who want to have a new chip done, and if so I'd love to be contacted for the specific process/procedure/cost....

Thanks
post #104 of 105 Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 PM
TD New Guy

Just Sent you a PM. If anyone else out there needs one of these modules, please let me know. So far I have two beta testers running with these with no issues reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dodge600es View Post
Hi...I'm the goof with the 85 Laser XT that was complaining about the 6 dashes in my digital odometer display, without really having read through and understanding the issue in this thread. So I'd be interested in considering a replacement chip simliar to Jeff600es. I saw the mileage a few weeks ago, at 108,500 just before it went blank. Is laser_doogie still open to folks who want to have a new chip done, and if so I'd love to be contacted for the specific process/procedure/cost....

Thanks
post #105 of 105 Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 PM
TD New Guy

Hey, I know it’s been a few years, but I’m curious as to the status of this project. I understand that it was in real world beta testing when last active. Is there any true solution to the “- - - - -“? My 84 2.6 New Yorker did the same thing during the summer last year and I’ve been trying to use my knowledge as a former GM dashboard tech to try to narrow it down, but I managed to come across this thread. Is there a flat rate fee I’ve got to pay? Don’t really remember original ODO reading is there any chance to find that somewhere else on the cluster? I know from my service history that the chip has been replaced once before in my car, about 29 years ago, how long do you think these new chips will last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page