Odometer Chip ID Requested - Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!
Interior Restoration or topics about the interior

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

My Ride: Guess :-)
Engine: 4 General electric F101 (58,000 lb/f thrust)
Induct: N/A
1/4: 0.011

Odometer Chip ID Requested

Does anybody know which EEPROM chips were used in the late '80s to early '90s digital clusters?

These are the markings on what I am trying to ID:

GI (manufacturer)
14-Pin

Harris nSemi
4374040 (Chry P/N)
H 9201
14-PIN

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 AM
#DriveTastefully

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII
Induct: Turbo
1/4: 0.000

Re: Odometer Chip ID Requested

Those numbers don't come across me as EPROM part numbers, but I plugged them in at work here and checked my catalogs and I can't find a match for any kind of IC.

It is possible, unlikely, but possible that the IC's were one time - spiecal made for the clusters only. Which would be bad because you would never find a new example.

I would like to know if anybody turns something up, because I have been buying EPROM's, IC's and microswitches for TD's like crazy recently (dirt cheap through work) to have a supply, everything is being factory discontinued
post #3 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Boostaholic

My Ride: 1990 Voyager
Engine: 2.5L TI

May I ask why you are looking for replacement ICs? I'm glad to learn that we have a few EE/CE people on here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

I am aware that the numbers that I listed are not standard part numbers. They are the propreitary Chtysler part numbers.

I am looking for id's on these chips because I would like to know the format that Chrysler stores the odometer inforation in, for these years. (Essentally for my own EE edification). In the spring, I will be doing a bit of work on my '93 Spirit. One item on the list is to install one of my digital clusters. I would rather pull the EEPROM, reflash it, than hook a pulse generator up to the speedometer input to roll it forward.

(For those who have seen some of my other posts, the SBEC-II schematic project is ongoing: One PCB layer left to delainate and digitize, then the fun really begins.)
post #5 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

For those who are interested:

There are two power leads that got to the digital clusters. One is constant power, the other is switched (ignition) power. On the non CCD clusters, the speedometer signal is accumulated by the MPU on the cluster logic board, as opposed to the cluster's display board. When the switched power is lost, an erase/write routine is initiated and the speedometer pulse sum is written to the EEPROM. On power-up, this data is loaded into one of the cluster's MPU registers and the speedometer pulses are accumulated and summed to it. The cluster's MPU has two divide constants: one for the metric (kilometer) display, the other for the English (mile) display. By toggling between the two constants (M/KM button), the cluster's MPU knows which to divide the accumulated speedometer pulses by, before sending the data to the display driver circuitry.

By powering a digital cluster on the bench, one can pulse the speedometer input and advance the mileage, as well as drive the speedometer display. If the constant power is removed, before the switched power, the mileage increase will not be stored, and the previous mileage will be displayed upon the next power-up.
post #6 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Boostaholic

I haven't seen any of your other posts yet. Are you attempting to reverse engineer the SBEC-II in order to build one from scratch with some critical improvements? Do you have a link?
post #7 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

ZoskalonMPI --> I am reverse engineering the SBEC-II to get a better understanding of how it functions, as well as to dispell the "black-box" mentality that is pervasive in the auto-mod world. Mainly, I am looking to see the hardware interactions of the SBEC-II's calibration (program) code. I am going to be doing a TBI to MPFI conversion on my 2.5, 1993 Spirit. I would like to figure out how to add the coilpack code into the calibration file and eliminate the spark jump in the distributor. The wiring aspect is not an issue: I have already added power locks, power windows, Bendix-6 ABS (with 4-wheel disk conversion), the premium overhead cluster, traveller, power seats, auto climate control, and a few other amenities. The electronic cluster, EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) and 22-function EVA (Electronic Voice Alert), as well as new paint, will be comming this spring.
post #8 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Boostaholic

Where is all this work shown??? I would love to see everything you've done to this car! I don't recall ever seeing EVIC on a Spirit before, only the 2 button travelers. What do you mean by "premium overhead cluster", is it just the temp/compass console? What year ATC did you use? Info and pics PLEASE! Lol.
post #9 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 02:14 PM
#DriveTastefully

My Ride: 89 Daytona Shelby TT
Engine: 2.5 TII

Mangelhaft, stupid question, but the information you gave from the first post is of the IC's themself? I just wanted to make sure. If that is all the information you have to go by it may be very hard to find a datasheet on one of those without harrassing Chrysler every hour day after day.. or back probe the IC's in the cluster with the dash torn apart while somebody drives

If you do come across a datasheet or even functional schematic of the whole digital dash post it up, it might help to revive the dying breed.

I have yet to dig into my two digital clusters for my daytona, they work but have some funny speedo bugs under vibration I have to work out.
post #10 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

The numbers that I listed in my previous post are the numbers that are stamped on the chip. Chrysler, as well as other manufacturers, had their ICs custom marked. An example is the chip marked SC80575VFN 4632459 which is a Motorola 68HC11A1 used in the SBEC-II. SC80575VFN is the motorola reference part number for the chip with the custom Chrysler ROM mask and 4632459 is the Chrysler part number. Another example is the Interstil SD68HC68S1 which has the Chrysler part number 4374040. It is used to decode the CCD databus for the chrysler traveler modules. This is usually for preprogramed MPUs, but also applies to other chips that were replaceable, or serviced by Chrysler and/or its authorized service providers. Chrysler has part numbers for the odometer EEPROMs because they could be replaced or reflashed when a cluster was replaced. This was before the time when the odometer info was stored in the BCM or ECU.
ZoskalonMPI --> As for pictures, I have not taken any, yet. I am still in the process of reupstering the interrior and prepping for paint this spring. The AA bodies never came with an EVA, EVIC, nor auto climate control. The overhead cluster is the one with the compass and temperature. There are provisions on the board for two more buttons and some unoccupied pads for additional electronics. I have yet to figure this out. The overhead clusters with the tripodometer pulled their data off of the ccd bus, and was supplied by the BCM. I added the two button traveler, but would like to add the twelve button traveler, once I figure-out the injector pulse feed, and finish the dashboard transplant. As for the climate control, I believe that it was from an '89 New Yorker. I replaced the sixteen-year-old heater core (Christmas eve 2009) and figured that since the dash was out, I might as well add this.

Why all this work? I bought my 1993 Spirit, in 1999, when I was stationed in Texas. It's body is solid and in great shape. It has only seen a few Michigan winters. I am getting c. 32 MPG, average. It is very reliable. And last, but not least: I am an engineer, so why not?

For anybody that is looking at doing some of these "upgrades", do not be intimidated by the wiring. Check with your local library for the Mitchell's Manuals. Their wiring diagrams are superior to AllData. Remember to get the connectors. Solder and heat shrink the splices: DO NOT USE CRIMP CONNECTORS! Take your time. Be patient. Ask questions. Have fun.

(Now is it worth adding the cell phone visor and associated electronics" just because...)
post #11 of 105 Old 01-26-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Boostaholic

I for got to add that I am sure that there is a standard EPROM that is compatable with the Chry P/Ns. If all else fails, I can trace the EEPROM datalines and construct the pin out, and use trial-and-error to acheive a coherent ROM dump.
post #12 of 105 Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Chrysler Laser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangelhaft View Post
I for got to add that I am sure that there is a standard EPROM that is compatable with the Chry P/Ns. If all else fails, I can trace the EEPROM datalines and construct the pin out, and use trial-and-error to acheive a coherent ROM dump.
I have a 1985 Laser XE cluster on my benchtop right now with the ODO chip signals on the logic analyzer. You have to be careful as there are two negative power supplies to the chip. There is a -5 which probably would not kill my test equipment, but the apparent programming voltage(always present) is -30V!

I started by probing each pin with a volt meter to try and determine the power supplies. There were several pins that are always low, so I'm not sure which of those are the actual ground power pin. One pin seemed to be steady +5 V, so I'm assuming that's the main Vdd. The negative programming voltage is curious, most EEPROMs I've seen use +27V or so for programming. -5 V is not unusual for older chips. Perhaps this is an NMOS device and not full CMOS?

I could only identify five signals that actually toggled during the apparent read cycles(On power up) or write cycles (On 12V ign powerdown with 12V batt still powered). This suggests that the device is in some manner serial instead of parallel which will make decoding a bear.

With the apparent writes, the signaling made some sense with one of the signals appearing to be a clock or strobe of some sort. The period was 80uS which looks right, but I haven't figured out which signal(s) are data, chip select, rd/wr yet. Also, there seem to be a very large number of repeated bursts for the shutdown sequence compared to the startup read sequence which looks like one single burst after some sort of setup sequence.

Reads look totally different, where the writes look slow and synchronous, the reads look completely asynchronous, and the signal timing looks impossible. There are several short (10-20ns) pulses and delays that can't possibly be actual chip timings as there is no way 1984 automotive technology was running at 50-100MHz. What looks like synchronous 10-20ns setup/hold timings must be the actual propagation delays of these old devices. I clearly have more work to do here...
post #13 of 105 Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
TD New Guy

My Ride: 1984 Chrysler Laser

Cool Re: Odometer Chip ID Requested

I've solved part of the Odometer Chip Mystery! This part is a renumbered GI ER-1451 700-bit serial EAROM(Electrically Alterable ROM)! I just picked up a handful of new blanks on eBay. With the pinout and datasheet for the part handy, I could easily setup my logic analyzer to take ROM dumps. On power up, the dash will dump the contents of the ROM which contains the regular ODO and the trip ODO values. On ignition powerdown, it erases and writes the new value. Of course, that means at around 10K ignition cycles, the chip is going to go bad and give you the ------ of death. Anyhoo, I still need to write a perl script to turn the logic analyzer listings and turn them into a readable ROM dump (Basically de-serializing with software). Then I can correlate the mileage on the ODO with the contents of the ROM to figure out how to burn a ROM with any arbitrary mileage in the ROM. I'm not doing this so that people can roll back their ODO's, it's so people can swap a cluster or fix a broken ODO, or if they restore their car and want it to say 0 miles. You can always check the box on the title that says "not actual mileage" and no one is going to believe that a falling apart rust bucket actually has 400 miles on it :P At this point in the life of these 80's and early 90s cars, the number on the clock means very little compared to the obvious condition of the car as determined by inspection...
post #14 of 105 Old 07-20-2011, 04:31 PM
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis

My Ride: 1988 Labaron Convert
Engine: Turbo 2 2.2 liter

Here is a link to a website that has some source code for our ECU's. Be a good starting point. At least with the code you can figure out your input/output, and which one's are analog.

I don't know of a good decompiler for the CPU. Depending on the CPU you can use ASMFLOW to flow chart it.

Later Dennis
post #15 of 105 Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Boostaholic

My Ride: '89 CSX, '86 GLHS
Engine: 2.2

If any of you figure out how to get these chips to work let me know please. I need one done for a 1986 Chrysler Executive Limo (Stretched Lebaron) at some point. I have the current ------- thing of death on mr digital dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more! forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionaly, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in