Turbo Dodge Forums : Turbo Dodge Forum for Turbo Mopars, Shelbys, Dodge Daytona, Dodge SRT-4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Omni and more!

-   Turbo Dodge Help (https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   90 Degree Thermostat Housing (https://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/1241402-90-degree-thermostat-housing.html)

Wildwest 02-17-2018 09:48 PM

90 Degree Thermostat Housing

This is for an 84 Rampage with the 2.2L non-common block, no turbo. I'm working on mounting an aluminum radiator to replace the stock one. In order to make it work, I'm going to need a.thermostat housing with a 90 degree angle. I have some flexible stainless steel hoses with adapters that will fit from 1" to 1 1/2" outlets.

I.would like to find a 90 degree tstat housing for the 2.2L that could work for my application. Swivel would be a plus, black anodized even better.

Thanks in advance for anyone's feedback or assistance with this.

ILIKESHELBYS 02-17-2018 10:17 PM

Re: 90 Degree Thermostat Housing

So you need a thermostat housing to hold a thermostat and that points to the passenger side rather than straight forward towards the radiator?

Keith Alto 02-18-2018 07:10 AM

Some of our vendors sell aluminum outlets, I think you're going to have to buy one and weld a 90 degree elbow on to it.

chromguy 02-18-2018 07:17 AM

I was given one by another forum member and I was told it was from a 3.3L. approx 2000???

Wildwest 02-18-2018 12:24 PM

Steven:

That is correct.

Keith:

I currently have an aluminum one w/O ring installed. I want to try and keep the cosmetics close to show quality.

chromguy:

Thanks for the offer, but I don't believe that will fit the 2.2L . If you're willing to let it go, i might just get it to see if it fits.

I've searched online, but as usual, they are for Chevy small blocks, or larger Mopar engines. Going to try searching and see if a Rabbit or Sicorro (sic) might have had one like that. Kinda grasping at straws here.

ILIKESHELBYS 02-18-2018 12:31 PM

A trip to the salvage yard might yield you the needed piece. I would take a standard 2.2 piece or a template w/me and see what might match up.

masterjr3333 02-19-2018 06:52 AM

I think he is right.
I would take a stock thermostat gasket to the JY and start pulling.
see if you can find something close.
or something you can cut/weld onto a factory flange.

chromguy 02-19-2018 08:03 AM

Wildwest 02-19-2018 08:13 AM

Steven, masrerjr

That was an option, just wanted to see if there was a part I could purchase first. It's warming up down here, just right to go junking.

Chromguy

Thanks for taking the time to find the link. However, I don't believe that a thermostat housing for a 6 cylinder would fit for the 4 cylinder 2.2.

chromguy 02-19-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildwest (Post 4469866)
Chromguy

Thanks for taking the time to find the link. However, I don't believe that a thermostat housing for a 6 cylinder would fit for the 4 cylinder 2.2.

Why not believe??? Ma Mopar did lots of this stuff as it reduces engineering resources.
I just tested a few moment ago and it flips the flow 90 degrees on the horizontal plane with a slight upward on the vertical plane. The mounting holes match

Oh and the slight vertical will help the hose to clear the distributor cover/wires

tryingbe 02-19-2018 08:07 PM

What chrome says. I used a 3.3 thermostat gasket with a 2.4 thermostat housing on my 2.2 cylinder head.

Wildwest 02-19-2018 09:01 PM

WOW, I would have never thought that they would interchange. Thanks a lot chromguy and tryingbe!

So just to recap, a thermostat housing from a 2000 Grand Voyager 3.3L would fit on a 2.2L, is that right? It appears that one has the slight vertical to it.

masterjr3333 02-20-2018 08:29 AM

I would suggest going to a parts store. or looking online.
Get the part number for a 2.2 thermostat coolant outlet gasket.

Get the part number for various other 3.0 and 3.3 and 2.4 coolant outlet gaskets.

If you find one that has the same part number..
then it should fit.

Wildwest 02-20-2018 10:12 PM

masterjr(etc):

Thanks for the advice. Finding a matching gasket would lead to an alternate thermostat housing. I wouldn't have thought to look for it that way.

Wildwest 02-23-2018 07:43 PM

chromguy, tryingbe:

You guys made a believer out of me! I went to O'Rileys, they didn't stock the Doorman part, but they had a Murray cross. Picked it up just to try it out, AND IT WORKED!! I just took it back and ordered the Doorman with the vertical, as it would indeed work better. Man, I can't thank y'all enough for getting me out of a pinch.

https://media.giphy.com/media/oBPOP4...-downsized.gif