Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of rebuilding the 2.2 in my 87 GLHS. Just got the MP 2006 head gasket and it is WAY different than the gasket that came off the engine and the 006 gasket doesn't line up with several holes on the head and block. Is this not the right gasket for my car? Was I supposed to use the 005?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Simon is right. The 006 gasket is for x-drilled engines. I used one on a 2.5L T1 engine once. You need to make sure both the head AND block are x-drilled in order to use it.

That being said, I used an 006 gasket on a 2.5 T1 engine once and had no problems whatsoever after many thousands of miles of pizza delivery. The 005 gasket would have been a better choice though, because the replacement head I had on that engine wasn't x-drilled.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Even on an X-drilled block, I run the 005. The x drills are a weak point in the head. It is still drilled for the 005 and I prefer it that way

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
ok, i just purchased an 006 headgasket for my 89 2.5 t1...will this work?...im kinda confused now even though i thought i had figured it out before i ordered the gasket.....is it bad to use this gasket?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
NO, it's the correct gasket. I just expressed a personal preference in NOT using the X-drill application.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
k, thanks ken...i feel better...lol :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts