Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just picked up an 01 neon. i was thinking srt 4 swap but that might be a little more than i'm looking to do. i have the know how but i'm working more on my desoto than anything. any ideas about how to add some power to this thing? good turbo kits, somewhere to send my ecu anything. maybe a DOHC swap? i was reading about swapping the block with a 2.4 NA but it uses the same head. any better flowing heads? if u have any ideas or experience in this let me know. thanks

· Registered
139 Posts
Your 01 Neon is a SOHC 16V 2.0L. If yours is an auto the MTX swap is the best bang for the buck. A 2.4 comes with the Dual cam 16V head and it does out flow the SOHC by a good bit. Just swapping the engine will bump you up to 150hp and 165trq. The 2.4 also responds very well to any sort of breathing mods. Another swap to consider is the Magnum swap. You use the head and manifolds from the 00-05 RT's and ACR's. The Magnum engine is basicly a SOHC 2.0 with a larger cam, larger exhaust ports, better exhaust manifold, and dual runner intake manifold. Once www.neons.org is back up after this weekends server move it will be where you want to go for info.

I personally have a 95 SOHC MTX coupe that I'm about to put a 2.4DOHC in. With the simple things I will be adding I'm expecting about 140whp.

· Registered
301 Posts
I had an 04 R/T to which I added Thermal R&D axle back, AEM CAI, MP computer, header, and little things like 8 mm wires. It made a notable difference and sounded AWESOME without the hassle or expense of a motor swap. Good luck with it.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
actually i have the magnum engine. it's a 5 speed and sticker is already 150 ponies. prob 120 or so at the wheels. now how hard is an srt swap? a lot of wiring and a huge pain in the ass i'm assuming? i would really like a DOHC but if i can do it with what i have i'ld prefer that. i wanna put like 250 down the the street at least. turbo or NA i doni't care. i think 150 at the flywheel is a good baseline. maybe if a got a hot cam msd ignition some injectors maybe port and polish the head long tube headers or something. i don't mind ripping it apart ha go 11 to 1 NA or something? i think maybe all that togeather might get me over 250

· Registered
301 Posts
actually i have the magnum engine. it's a 5 speed and sticker is already 150 ponies. prob 120 or so at the wheels. now how hard is an srt swap? a lot of wiring and a huge pain in the ass i'm assuming? i would really like a DOHC but if i can do it with what i have i'ld prefer that. i wanna put like 250 down the the street at least. turbo or NA i doni't care. i think 150 at the flywheel is a good baseline. maybe if a got a hot cam msd ignition some injectors maybe port and polish the head long tube headers or something. i don't mind ripping it apart ha go 11 to 1 NA or something? i think maybe all that togeather might get me over 250
you MIGHT be able to get 250 at the crank N/A but for the effort it would require, just do the SRT-4 swap.

· Registered
139 Posts
An SRT swap is pretty easy in a 2ng gen. You basicly just get everything that is SRT and put it in. Buying a wreck SRT-4 would be about all you need.

No N/A SOHC has ever made it to 200whp as far as I know. It's cool that you already have the Magnum engine since it really does have 150hp unlike the 2.0 DOHC of the 1st gen RT or ACR.

If all you did was build the 2.0 bottom and add a hahn turbo kit you could get pretty close to 250whp. If you want N/A then building a 200whp 2.4 DOHC is that hard.

Be thankful that you have a second gen. It may be heavier but the engine mounting system is tons better then the first gen.

· Registered
139 Posts
If he has the magnum engine he already has the 3.94 tranny. And yes that would be a tire smoking combo. Thats why I'm keeping the 3.55 in my neon with the soon to be 2.4. Also a 2.4 engine spinning at 3100rpm while crusing on the hgihway doesn't sound too good on gas.

· Registered
404 Posts
That is the 3.94 w/ the 0.72 5th gear... so yeah, don't expect great highway millage :D My old cammed 2.0 DOHC neon with the regular 3.94 and 0.81 would get 33.5-35MPG city and up to 42MPG Hwy. The city millage was often with a lead foot to boot :D But yeah, a 2.4L does require larger injectors and will eat more gas.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
The r/t myx has a 3.94 gear set with a .81 5th gear. The 1G neon dohc mtx has the 3.94 gear set with the .72 5th gear. I have a 03 r/t mtx in my 96 coupe, and yes it make the n/a aspect fun. Finally got the mileage back up to the 30's so it is not "too" bad, but with the 2.4L swap on the horizon I recently picked up a 2G SE mtx with the 3.55 and .81 5th gear. Launching with the r/t trans requires a soft touch to be sure, or they will spin quite well. Might be time for wider tires.

· Registered
404 Posts
I was able to do 2.1 60's with my 3.94 off the line on 205/55/15 falken azenis, which are some of the cheapest street tires you can buy. Launching around 3 grand and riding out the clutch till about 5-6 grand them give it your all seems to be the best way to go w/o spinning or bogging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.