Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Cruiser has an a/c problem that we (I) need some help with to go to the dealership & explain. The car is an automatic, 2.0 L turbo and has just over 100K miles on it.

When the a/c is turned on the air blows cold for a minute or two; and then blows warm(er) air. We've had the system evacuated and recharged (w/R134); and had dye injected to pinpoint leaks. No result from dye yet; but it's only been a few days and <100 mi. since the work done.

Anyone have a clue as to what we should have the dealership look at next. So far we're just <$200 in "diagnostics" and system recharge. The one note that the service dept made was ""low side pressure is too high"; but I haven't gotten to researching that term yet.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
happens a lot, the dryer is full. The dryer is like the filter for the system, when it plugs the low pressure spikes and the system gets hot. This is very common when you convert an older system and you don't blow out the lines first. I would get a dryer and then blow out the lines, add the dryer and start over. Doing a vac is worthless, after nuking 3 dryers before having a stable system. Now I blow them out and then add a new dryer and no problems. You no doubt got something in the system and plugged it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey "Pope", first I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to you to say thanks for the info about our a/c problem. I got wrapped around my own axle with other "stuff" that came up.

I'm pretty sure that I can detach a "dryer" from the firewall; and re-attach another; but is "blowing out the lines" something I can easily do given that we're currently in Colorado; and most of my tools are in South Carolina (not to mention the fact that my last "auto mechanic" class was in 1960 when engine parts were actually recognizeable); and the fact that I've never attempted anything like that before?

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
I just use an air compressor with a little air spraw nozzle. Get one with a rubber tip and it'll seal into the pipe for doing a good blow out. I take the lines off the compressor and blow everything out. Then I "run" the compressor with air to blow it out. New seals and dryer and back to cold air. The new freon isn't as deadly as 12, but aim it away from your face and pressure wash the engine compartment etc. But it can be done with small tools

1 - 4 of 4 Posts