Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I have a "4323287" G-head (I guess you call it the 287 head) that I have been carefully P+P and getting ready for my mini, getting the valves lapped, resurface, etc. I was reading up that these were designed w/ 10mm head bolts? But I wanted to go with these...

TU kit "ARP 11mm Head Stud Kit "

What will it take to make this all work together properly?

·
Registered
496 Posts
No Destiny,

Try dropping your 11mm studs down through the head bolt holes. You may be okay the way things are. At most, You may have to take an appropriate size drill bit and ream the holes out a bit.

Late '85's came with the G head and 11mm bolts. I don't know whether Mopar modified those heads or not but either way, I don't think you'll have much of a problem.

Dodgeboy

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
pretty sure the early "10 mm" heads had the holes large enough for the 11 mm bolts

check the casting date on your head ; if its past mid-85 the you should be fine for sure

even if its an earlier head you should still be fine; worst case scenario is as '77' suggested - you may have to open the holes up a smidgen ; use a drill press, dont try to do it by hand :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool guys, I still need to buy the studs, but ill try putting them in and if not, guess Ill have to drill. I did some searching but I couldn't find a truly solid answer.

Thanx a bunch!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tested one of the head studs through the head... went through, no problem. Though, it seemed to be a tight fit (which I think is prefered anyways).

Thanx again guys! My beast should be loads of fun shortly (errr... more fun I should say!)

·
Registered
496 Posts
As long as the head fits down over the locating dowels you should be okay. It's the dowels that align the head to the block. Dodgeboy77

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the process of putting these in right now. Just a note: 2 of them were overly tight of a fit. I ended up putting the stock head bolts in with a hammer to make room :D But it worked. Just the top maybe 1/2" was a bit too small. They threaded in, but didn't feel they should be that tight of a fit.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Your 2.5 turbo stock pistons had a large dish (to work with the small chamber in the swirl heads), while the G head has a large chamber ( to work with the small dish in '85 & older turbo 2.2's piston's). When you use the G head with the newer style piston's you get around 7.4 to 1 C.R. It's a brick until boost comes on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts