Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have a new-to-me 1989 LeBaron Convertible that came with the 12 button Electronic Navigator. In my vehicle this was the only component not working. Lights came on and VFD grid lit up with a little bit of lighting of the numbers, but otherwise no functionality. I've read the posts on here regarding the tear-apart and repairs and have taken the unit out and dismantled it. My initial check revealed a bad capacitor (position C162 - directly adjacent to the molex connector and appears to feed towards the VFD.) I replaced it with a different capacitor (same uF, higher max voltage was what was available) but now the piezo speaker screams each time power is applied a the bench. I tried removing the new capacitor (no change) and putting the old bad capacitor back on (also no change - piezo screams.)

Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips or ideas? I'm reasonably good with electronics but don't do this type of work regularly. I was hopeful it was just a bad cap, but it seems more than that at this point.

Thanks -

Doug

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

I just approved your thread so hopefully you will get some answers to your questions/problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bagged working on the existing one and picked up another used one. That one was working, except that it needed the buttons replaced. Took care of that only to find that today there is another issue with the unit - probably a bad capacitor that let too much voltage hit the transistor that it feeds. I replaced the capacitor, but can't seem to nail down the transistor. Does anyone on here know how to identify these older transistors? If I can pin it down I can replace it, but having a hard time knowing the steps to take to figure that out. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts