Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of a rally speedometer for an omni.. and it is not a sticker, it says 125 where it would normally say 85.

- Corey

·
Registered
12,120 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Niether one of these replies answer my question... so that was a waste of time. Anyways I have a Speedometer for an OMNI that I am putting in my Shelby Charger that reads 125MPH the guy I got it from says that it is a Rally Package speedometer. but also says that his father worked for Chrysler doing interior instrumentation, and got this from him. I am wondering if this is a normal production piece or if it may be a specialty part.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
If I remember properly, I am pretty sure that the later omni's with the electronic speedo has it up to 125, but there may be a few earlier ones like that. I have seen a few of them in the later years that were that way.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The guy who sold you that, or his father, probably made an honest mistake. That's nothing like an L-body speedo. Never was such a creature. Not in the special factory sponsored SCCA or Rally built Shelby Chargers or GLH's, turbo or NA. As stated earlier, Carroll Shelby definatedly would have used something better than an 85MPH speedo with a decal overlay if it had been available. For a faster than 85MPH reading on an Omni factory speedo, get a
'90(last year) Omni dash.It's totally different and unique,and reads to 100 MPH. BTW '90's had square outside rear-view mirrors. And an air bag.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
then maybe it was 100 that I had seen. But I have seen a 125 before, but I have looked at so many L-body cars that it is almost just a blur anymore. But the 90 year was just a completely different car when you look at a few of the interior, mirrors, and electronics. I never really put much time into looking at them due to that.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
The guy who sold you that, or his father, probably made an honest mistake. That's nothing like an L-body speedo. Never was such a creature. Not in the special factory sponsored SCCA or Rally built Shelby Chargers or GLH's, turbo or NA. As stated earlier, Carroll Shelby definatedly would have used something better than an 85MPH speedo with a decal overlay if it had been available. For a faster than 85MPH reading on an Omni factory speedo, get a
'90(last year) Omni dash.It's totally different and unique,and reads to 100 MPH. BTW '90's had square outside rear-view mirrors. And an air bag.
Uhhh other than the #'s that is exactly what an Lbody speedo looks like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know the guy that I got this from pretty good. I have known him for about 6-7 years. He had this in his GLHT it is mechanical not electric. His dad brought it home from work (Chrysler) for him back in 1989 - 91ish.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My brother retired around '93 after over 30 years at Chrysler, so I know he knows about the cars he helped build. In the mid to late '80's Chrysler stopped building any performance L-bodies and switched their attention to the Daytona platform because of it's superior handling. That's why they got
four wheel discs, the TII, and later the 16V's. The L-bodies weight advantage became a penalty. That's our cross to bare!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it is for a L body and it says 125 MPH as it shows in the pic and I can see as I hold it in my hand... So there for it exsists... and I am not saying that it was made in 89-91 that is just when his dad brought it home for him. it could have been sitting on his desk for a few years I dont know. I am not looking for people to argue that it does not belong to a L body.I am just looking to see if some body knows what it is.

(my dad has worked for GM since 1973 but if I asked him what MPH the speedo on a 1992 eldarado goes to he most likely would not know what it was)

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
yea, screw them, It's an awesome part, wish they all had that. Have you tested it for accuracy? I wonder if it wraps all the way around and is accurate like the 85 MPH speedos. Cool part, wish I had it for my Masi Lbody build up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea, screw them, It's an awesome part, wish they all had that. Have you tested it for accuracy? I wonder if it wraps all the way around and is accurate like the 85 MPH speedos. Cool part, wish I had it for my Masi Lbody build up.
I just got it yesterday. I have not checked for accuracy but if I check and it is reading (125 when I am going 85) then I will try and use the gear for the speedo cable from a daytona with a 125mph speedo...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You can take it to a shop that rebuilds odometers and have them recalibrate it. They basically change how strong the magetism is on the magnets inside that make the needle move. It takes a special machine. What's cool about this is that if you have a custom face made, they *should* be able to calibrate it to any scale! So...you could in theory even make a 200mph speedo for your L-body! :D That goes for any other car using a mechanical speedo as well...including vans! (yeah, I thought about it when I had my van! :thumb: )

1 - 20 of 39 Posts