Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am most likely buying an '89 Caravan 2.5 turbo.
What is the stock, factory 1/4 mile time for this van.
And, what will I have to do to it if I want to run in the mid 14's?

I have an intercooler, boost controller, and the ability to remove my boost cut. I know I will need to do more so what else is involved (on a normal budget)?

Thanks alot! :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Exhaust is probably the 1st thing 2.5" mandrel all the way out with high flow cat and muffler Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc.3" if you have plans for big power later on

After that is crank up the boost to ~12psi with boost gauge that should get you somewhere in the 15's next would be intercooler and hit 15lbs boost

Don't forget a good general tune up while your at changing the oil take out the balance shafts for some free hp

DDG- Lubrication system
Balance Shaft Removal

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is what I did, 3 inch exhaust with cat and dynomax turbo muffler, Intercooler, fuel cut eliminator, cold start injecter (for extra fuel at high boost) turned on with a pressure switch at 15psi, removed balance shafts.
Ran 17 psi at the track, (and on the street!) with a high low manual boost controller.

Here is a link to a video racing a Mustang GT (not stock) van vs. Mustang

This was at an 1/8th mile track, I ran a 9.44 at 77mph. estimated mid 14,1/4

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is an auto with normal street tires at the moment.

I just got a boost gauge a couple of days ago so I am set to turn up the boost safely.

And at least 2.5" exhaust is definitely on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes it was/ still is 110,000 miles.
Make sure to monitor your air/fuel ratio and read your spark plugs for signs of detonation when turning up the boost.

Read info on, turbominivan.com, gusmahon.org and thedodgegarage.com and you should get a good understanding of what to do. I followed the step by step on turbo minivan.com and was real happy with "bang for the buck" results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts