Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Haven't had a turbo dodge in about 15 years. Parted out my last rotted out 86 Turbo Z back then.

My daughter is now 15 and I've been looking for a cheap car for us to work on together, she's in autoshop learning herself now too.

Ended up finding a great condition 1987 Daytona Shelby Z only an hour from us. We got it for $2500 and she's happy as hell! It's even got aluminum louvers like my old one.

It needs some engine work, we were told it overheats, popped a core plug but is still running. Guy popped a new plug in but leaks a bit. I'm assuming it just needs a good clean up, going over prob a rad, T stat etc. Blows a bit of blue smoke at start up likely valve seals.

But the rest of the car is in great shape.

Has a Blue cloth interior, White car, crab wheels, 140k Miles. Its a US car and not a chrysler (most Canadian branded cars).

We've got about 2 years to get it going again.

Going to start with some diagnosing on the engine then pull it. To clean it up etc.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Pick it up tomorrow morning.

I've been building and wheeling a '79 IH Scout II the last 5 years, just finished an LS swap on it and need to build a full cage.

one tons, 40s, NV4500, doubler, NP205
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hauled it home today has been sitting for bout a yesr and a half, resr brakes are sticking, doesn't want to idle well when put in gear and let the clutch out. Got to rev it up a bit.

So there is def some work to do. Least the seat motors worked so I could adjust it!

Had to winch it on. Didn't have enough jam on them wee tires to push itself backward up on.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome back! I’ve got an 88 EFI with a blue interior so if you need some interior parts, I’d be happy to let them go before we scrap the car.
Looks like the only 3 pieces I really need are the drive side seat belt buckle cover, the console lid and a drive side upper door drip edge seal.

Its an AC car. Has the original tape deck (doesn't work) the electric door locks aren't working.

Suprisingly the drivers electric seat all functions work.

There must be a leak around the rear window somewhere as when I got it home from trailering it the back was wet (it was a li'l rainy) mind you I was trailering it back end forward so it might have been forcing wet air/rain into the back.

I need to blow out the drains for the moon roof.

The back brakes are semi seized up.

Need to do a compression test on it then see about pulling it all out.

Were going to leave it stock for a bit for her first car other than get rid of PCV and add a BOV.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This car has a small yellow window sticker bottom left corner says Sunnyvale Chrysler Plymoth. Only reference I can find for a Sunnyvale chrysler dealership is in California.

Pretty neat it was brought into Southern, ON Canada.

Need this weatherstrip piece.

4396060 looks like same piece used from 84-93

· Administrator
26,461 Posts
Online shows that Marty (user ID Marty Mopar) has 2, is this listing up to date?
You will have to contact him.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Online shows that Marty (user ID Marty Mopar) has 2, is this listing up to date?
Thank you, I did find that site earlier.

He got back to me and has a good used one and two new. I'll let the new ones be saved for someone building a show car!

Thanks for reffering him.

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trying to find a cool set of wheels for this, crabs are kinda hideous. Looking at 17's probably. Looking for some used ones on marketplace. Found a couple sets of 16s with multinfit wheels. Also found a set of red XXR wheels (15's) thought they might look cool on a white car. Also wonder what gold Subaru style wheels might look on a white car.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Hubcap

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Tire Hubcap

· Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm a fan of the OEM look....
Never was a fan of the Pacifica package, and I've had crabs on a red turbo Z and they were alright but I had a nice set of polished eagle alloys I had transferred over from my 91, ES that I liked better.

I like the bigger look now, last three cars had 18's (09 caliber and current '11 Ford fusion, and my current '11 F150) I prefer 17's as there are better size options.

But these 15" BFgs on the car are brand new so I'm thinking polish the lips of the crabs and paint the centers black would look good.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts