Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well over 2 years after I started this project Its finally in the car and running :) I still have lots of work ahead of me, mostly tuning and cleaning up the mess of wires and hoses under the hood. I def want to thank all the people who posted in this forum, I would never have been able to complete this project without all the info I found here!

Here is a quick rundown of whats in it:

1984 Turbo Block (All orig w/ 60,000 Kilometers)
2000 2.4L 16v Neon Head
SRT4 Turbofold w/ Custom 3" DP
Custom 4" Intake
Modified stock cam gears & Crank gear
1986 GLHS Electronics
T2/T3 clutch / A555 Trans

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Awesome! Can I ask why you used the 84 block? CB are so cheap. Also, who made your intake? Would they make me one? :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
+1 on more pictures

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Can I ask why you used the 84 block? CB are so cheap. Also, who made your intake? Would they make me one? :)
I was expecting everyone to jump all over me for using an 84 block lol.. But I used the 84 because it was a nice smooth running block, and I wasnt building a race car, more of a sunday driver. My intention was a cheap/simple hybrid built with JY parts, and stuff I had laying around. I have my built CB with venolias on a stand, prob for my next hybrid build :)

I built the intake, cam/crank gears, spacers, brackets, plugs, and everything else that was needed.

I do have a few of these kits laying around if you want send me a PM.

I'll upload more pics :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Few more pics I have....

Stock Distributor JUST clears the intake

Side shot of the head with one of the oil drains, coolant feed to turbo, etc.. I originally had the T-stat here, but changed plans during the build when I read about using an idle pulley in the alt bracket... You can see the big plug..

Idle pulley in Alt bracket to help timing belt clear intake. Who ever came up with this was a genious..

SRT4 TurboFold clearing the firewall (It almost touches the heat shield)
T1 WG actuator can also be seen, I had it laying around, so I used it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock cam gears mated to custom spacers... I keyed them with +2,4 and -2,4 deg offsets to help line them up when I did the timing... It worked out nice, And it was totally free :)

Modified PS pump bracket to clear the head, and relocated the timing belt tensioner into the 3/8" plate steel.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Looks pretty good, especially for a project done on the cheap. Thats definitely my style. :thumb:

·
Registered
370 Posts
daytonaturboz, you've inspired me. I'm now thinking about doing a 16V swap onto my 2.2L TII CB. From the little bit of reading I've been doing on the 16V conversion, I thought the 16V head could not be used with the 2.2L piston/rod combination. How did you get around this? Also, I thought the non SRT-4 2000-2005 neon 16V heads were SOHC. Are you using a PT cruiser head? Final question, did you swap out the exhaust valves on the head? Curious if the N/A exhaust valves can handle the extra combustion heat of turbo engines.

Thanks,

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes the 2.2L piston/rod combo is good to use without valve relief in the piston, but if i ever loose the timing belt, it would be all over I'm guessing.. The head was given to me, I honestly cant say what it came out of, and from what I read the exhaust valves in the 16v heads are ok.

Its alot of work, but it was an interesting project to undertake. If you need any pics or info just ask.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to reopen this thread, But what cam gears did you use, if you used the 2.4 gears how did you adapt them, as in 2.2L is 40 tooth, 2.4L is 42 tooth I am needing this for my 2.2 16V conversion, Inly thing im lacking is cam gear and oil drainback.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts