Turbo Dodge Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't generally do videos since when I am working on a project I don't usually have my camcorder and also need both hands frequently.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Right now I am stuck trying to find a crank sprocket with a wide enough set of "teeth" for the timing belt. The actual belt for the 2.4L will probably be plenty long, particularly if I can use the head mounted idler that shifts the belt toward the exhaust side of the head then it will come forward around the intermediate shaft. Two issues arise, (a) 2.4L belt is 28mm wide, 2.2/2.5L belts are 24/25mm wide. This can be resolved by simply finding a same length narrower belt (b) tooth count on the 2.2/2.5L components other than the TIII are: crank - 20 teeth, intermediate and cam - 40 teeth, 2.4L counts are: crank - 21 teeth, water pump - unknown, cams - 42 teeth. If I can find a 2.4L crank sprocket and it can be made to work, I have the cam sprockets and since I already committed to a head mounted distributor, the intermediate shaft count being 40 vs 42 teeth, will not bother the overall running, oil pump will be turning 5% faster.

If someone has a loose 2.4L crank sprocket or dimensions of one so I can figure out if it will work it will help.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I found a belt that will work, James sent a reference for another, issue is the setup shoves the belt into the front of the head. Crank sprocket made like the 1988 square tooth one, but for a round tooth belt is what I need.

·
Legendary Driver
11,022 Posts
What's a k27? You drop the motor in and mate it to the stock trans. Numerous people have already done it. Rich Bryant as noted above and fwdperformance have all the parts needed.

Not that easy in a K27 as it works way better with an automatic than a 5 speed. FYI, the body reinforcement on the K27 runs well above where the K car manual transmission shifter attaches.

The 2.4L auto is a 41TE so needs a trans computer or a complete NGC system.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
(a) K = body, 27 = style in this case convertible. The K27 body has a huge reinforcement up the center of the car making use of a 5 speed and it's shift cables a PITA. The shifter location is also very close to the dash center stack where the radio mounts on the G and J bodies.
(b) 2.0/2.4 block mostly will bolt to a 2.2/2.5 transaxle, however, the one bolt of the 4 that connect trans case to block that doesn't match is also one of the 4 for the front motor mount. On a turbo engine this is a special reinforced mount that was updated after the 2.2/2.5 engines were no longer in production. That bolt and the one below it go into the transaxle case, either clutch or converter depending. The remaining 2 bolts go into the front of the block right above the pan rail, no place on a 2.0/2.4 block for them.
(c) starter, 2.2/2.5 starter mounts on the back of the block, 2.0/2.4 on the front, the transaxle cases and block plates reflect this. To use a front location, the oil fitting on the 2.2/2.5 is in the way and the lower starter bolt and the upper front mount through bolt have a problem coexisting.
(d) right motor mount obviously is different
(e) and the biggest reason I do not have a 2.4L short block nor complete engine! As a result I would have to go find one that will fit the way I need it to, manifolds etc and then the electronics to run it and interface with my 1990 BCM coupled with the fact that it is my project and I prefer to do it my way.

The same goes for my truck, if I had a nickel for everyone who told me since that project started in 2010 to get an aftermarket EFI system instead of Ford's EEC-V system I might almost have been able to buy the two computers (engine and transmission) needed that at the time were $12-1500 each

Reactions: GrandpaSleeper

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ordered his intake cam driven distributor kit and his cap conversion parts so I can use a nice universal set of deep well plug connectors and right angle distributor connectors.

I already modified a distributor for reverse rotation and will build a harness for the conversion as it gets closer. The distributor reference and sync functions need to be reversed as the computer looks for the "windowed" vane to determine when to trigger #1 injector. If the sequence of vane pulses are not in the correct sequence between the two signals the computer will not "turn on".

·
Registered
400 Posts
Soooooo excited!!!

If I ever did this conversion, I would be insanely fascinated to dyno the car before and after the swap and try and see exactly how much gains can be seen from the DOHC!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't horsepower on the 2.5 SOHC hit peak at like 4800 rpm or something? Feels like driving a diesel... hehe

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Since the engine in the car is a 1988 2.2L T2 with a modified computer it wouldn't be a good comparison. However, the current engine is running a 2 piece intake.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I received the head mount distributor kit a couple of days ago. Rich Bryant has updated the design a bit and asked if I would mind posting some pictures.

The head adapter is grooved on both sides for the large O-ring due to a small goof in setting it up resulting in the second bare metal groove. He settled on an O-ring as a better seal than a gasket and it puts the adapter metal to metal on the head and bearing cap. The disc now has the drive pins made with it so the need to run screws through is no longer there. The pins are slightly off set as shown with the hacksaw blade straightedge. Once I have a chance to assemble it I will get some more pictures. Note that he even includes a new distributor O-ring.
Household hardware Wood Gas Circle Auto part
Household hardware Automotive tire Wood Rim Gas
Bicycle part Rim Composite material Household hardware Auto part
Electric blue Oval Circle Fashion accessory Button
Guitar accessory Sports equipment Rim Bicycle part Auto part
Rim Bicycle part Electric blue Composite material Auto part

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Ok, I mounted it to the PT Cruiser turbo head to (a) show how it assembles and (b) see how much of a plug wire stretcher I need. Distributor has already been modified for reverse rotation with the exception of rotating the HEP plate. Head before changes, magnetic trigger for cam position sensor.
Tool Automotive tire Bicycle part Saw Rim

Head with distributor drive disc in wrong position (remember the offset pins).
Rim Gas Machine tool Machine Automotive tire

Drive disc installed correctly but not tightened.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Vehicle brake Rim

Drive disc tightened and ready for adapter to be installed.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Gas

Adapter attached to head and tightened, apparent misalignment is due to camera angle.
Wood Gas Auto part Machine Metal

Reactions: james

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Now for the rest as that was a good place to stop uploading. The distributor that was previously modified according to Rich Bryant's instructions. This is pointing to the normal #1 position.
Vehicle brake Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Machine

Now, pointed to what will become #1 position with the HEP turned 180°
Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Gas Wood

Here is the way it looks in the assembled position.
Wood Gas Machine tool Auto part Engineering

Looking from the transaxle side of the head.
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Sculpture Machine

Anyone have a plug wire stretcher?
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Now I have another little issue, the crank sprocket and cam sprockets. If I use the 2.5L crank sprocket it is a 20 tooth sprocket and the original intermediate shaft and cam sprockets are 40 teeth. I have the set of FWD adjustable cam sprockets that are 40 teeth also The issue is, the 2.4L head is longer than the 2.5L head so with even the 2.5L 24 or 25mm wide belt, it rubs the end of the head to the point the person I got the parts from had ground quite a bit off the belt end of the head. The belt he was going to use is barely long enough to reach and ends up running straight down from the intake cam sprocket to the intermediate shaft sprocket. The original routing of the 2.4L belt, from the intake sprocket, it doubles back over an idler, then angles forward over the water pump sprocket. I can do the same with the intermediate shaft sprocket, but, the idler is too far out from the head to properly run the belt over. If I reverse the intermediate sprocket it now lines up nicely, but the crank sprocket grooves aren't long enough so the belt rides up onto the ungrooved portion of the sprocket.

I obtained an idler and crank sprocket. Crank sprocket is 21 teeth which will wok well with the stock 2.4L 42 tooth cam sprockets and since I have gone to a head mounted distributor, the slight change in the ratio on the intermediate shaft will only affect the oil pump. The issue is the OD of the 2.5L crank snout vs the ID of the 2.4L sprocket. Crank snout is a press fit in a roughly 26mm bore, 2.4L sprocket has a nearly 30mm bore so I need a sleeve with about a 2mm wall thickness and a taller crank key. I may also need a spacer behind the sprocket to line it up with the cam sprockets (I do have a stock set of cam sprockets). Any ideas?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is a Gates number and so far I am not finding a lot of information on Gates timing belts, still looking.
If you know the true length, width, and type (IE: Ribbed, V, cogged, etc.), and actual width of each rib, if McMaster Carr does not carry 1 that size, they will make it custom. For same prices as if they stocked it. Had same issue recently switching my water pump over to elect. Based drive and then needed a 6 rib to use just Alt. on the crank

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I actually have a complete chart of Dayco timing belts by size and tooth count. Once you have the tooth style, spacing and width all that is needed is the length. Right now I am mocking up what I need and once I have that done I will find my length and order one.

I did find an interesting fact, the belts on the 2.2/2.5L are 24-25mm wide, the 2.4L is 28mm wide so I have the which do I use issue, if I have to use any of the 2.5L gears, I am limited to 25mm width, If I use the 2.4L gears, I can run the 28mm width.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts