Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is my first post actually repost i initially put it in general engine section:bang head I know I am supposed to introduce myself when i join so here it is hi my name is Eric.anyways i just bought a 1950 dodge b2b pickup that's a 1/2 ton short box regular small truck not the big power wagon. i like those too but this what i have. the original flat head six has a couple of stuck valves I think anyways i plan on pulling it and installing a 1989 2.5l turbo1 engine,wiring harness,and socketed smec that i was going to put in my newyorker that i just sold also i have just purchased a 1994 dakota bell housing,trans,and flywheel and of course a different rearend I plan on getting it running with the motor all stock the for now and then at a later time modding the intake so the throttle body is pointing forward adding a intercooler and using throttle body from a 3.0v6 also i have a hy35 turbo i am going to install. and I need some bigger injectors not sure what size I will need yet and a 255lph external walbro pump also I am having a hard time locating a performance clutch for this application? and fabrication is no problem for me i have done some oddball swaps before I had a ranger that i installed a 2.3 turbo motor and t5 trans into and then after i melted a piston i installed a built dodge 318 with ported j heads big cam and a 727 with a manual valve body was fun but I scraped the truck and sold the engine and trans to my cousin who put it in a duster anyways .I was going to install a 440 engine in this one but I want to be able to afford to drive this truck.any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Might check the sticky at the top of this section for a clutch idea. Don't know what he did for a clutch, but should be similar. He used a Supra R154 though, rather than the AX5 or AX15 you probably have. Maybe it wouldn't be similar, but might be a start.

Get it running, should be a cool project!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As usual I have gotten carried away with my project. after doing some measuring I found that the intake will not clear the firewall and needed to modify it. I also decided to go ahead and drill my exhaust manifold for a standard t3 flange since I had to remove it to get to the intake bolts. I cut off flush the original bolts surfaced the flange and then drilled and tapped four holes using standard t3 gasket as a template.that means I need to use my holset now.

tomorrow I will work on my intake I allready cut it off flush on what is now the back of the manifold not sure if I want to mount the throttle body flange on the front or the center of the top since hood clearance is not an issue.I will probably put it on the front to make it easier to plum an inter cooler.I will try and post some pictures once I get it figured out how to reduce there quality so I can upload them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but doesn't Donovan say something about changing the location of your throttle body to the "front" of the intake? claiming that it causes the #4 cylinder to burn lean?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Welcome to the site. You can join photobucket.com for free and post the links here. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK here are some pics. first one is how I found it second my manifold third is how it currently sits
more to come tomorrow anyone else have any input on where to mount the throttle body and i think the lean #4 cylinder thing DaytOmni mentioned isnt that on the early t1 log intake? I may be wrong so does the center sound like a better idea or would the front of the manifold work to mount the throttle body?

·
Registered
545 Posts
That truck is going to be wicked when your done. If i were you, i would start a new thread for the throttle body question. (I don't know if its only the early style or if it applies to all, i just remember reading something about changing the throttle body location on a T1 intake)

·
Registered
541 Posts
cool project :thumb:. I wouldn't worry about the intake. you should be fine.

I have a 50 dodge pickup too. I use it as a storage shed for the past 15 years. mine has the rear side glass.

good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
on the suspension im going to use the front from a 1980 chevrolet malibu. The rear will be a disk brake rear end from a 1979 cadilac seville they were based on the nova chassis. these parts are what my friend has laying around its free so its an easy decision lots of aftermarket parts for the 80's midsize gm suspensions and cheap too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just took some pics of my intake manifold I went a different rout. I mounted the throttle body elbow in the center of the top of the manifold. I have not seen it done before so i guess i will check my plugs for signs of detonation on a regular basis and keep an close eye on my wide band once i get it running.well here is some pics of my manifold.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyone have any suggestions on fuel injector size to go with a holset hy35 on my 2.5 or can I get away with stock 33pph for now if I keep the boost around 8 psi or less.obviously i will be getting some bigger injectors soon as I get some more money saved.and for an intercooler. a cummins,powerstroke or possibly one from Silicone Intake Systems or?any Idea's

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
The 33 lbs injectors should get the job done if you don't go crazy with the boost. Just watch your plugs (and get a wideband when the money allows). There are +20 and +40 Mopar injectors available as well. If you're going the junkyard route, there's a set of DSM injectors that are effectively +40's (Eclipse and Talon turbo, but need to find the part number) and the FFV Spirits have what passes for +20s.

In your original post you said you were using a 3.0 throttle body? Those aren't any better than the stock turbo units. If you want to go bigger, go with a 3.3 version (52mm vs 46mm).

The intake looks pretty good. My only issue would be the clearance from the TB to the fuel rail looks really tight. I'm kinda surprised you didn't go the custom route. There have been a few who just ditch that intake all together and make a custom one using just the TB mounting plate and the runners with a new plenum. Just an idea.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
for the wide band I have a inovate lc1/summit racing wideband set already and i will get new injectors before I even think about turning up the boost. are the +40/52lbhr/546.52cc is that enough if i want to crank up the boost? 4g63t dsm's injectors are 450cc or do they run at a lower base pressure.
and the throttle body i have I pulled off a 1989 3.0 caravan is bigger than my stock 1989 2.5 throttle body and I have plenty of clearance for everything here's some pics.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I honestly think you are going to get 2 and 3 lean with that design. I think it is a great idea, but the plenum design of the manifold is crap. I think you would be better off sectioning the manifold so that you remove the top and rear and box it in larger with the inlet pointing more toward the rear to even out distribution.

look at the ford turbo 2.3 manifold

cool project...good luck!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might build a custom intake later on after i get the truck going. I think this setup should work good enough for now at lower boost levels where the elbow is mounted it is pointing about 1/3 at the shelf in the center and that is about 4" long in the intake between the two pairs of ports so its not blowing directly at any ports and 2/3 into the large plenum chamber.hopefully its not to bad I know its not the most ideal setup and if I like this truck enough after I drive it I might build a fresh motor for it with forged pistons and at least polished and shot peened rods with ARP bolts,head studs,bigger valves and some port work. maybe a neon head since I would be buying new pistons anyways but that will all have to wait as it will take me awhile to get the money for that stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts