Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1981 Dodge Omni 024 Build 2.2 To 2.5T

9K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  CM-Charger 
#1 ·
Hey guys i figured i'd start a build thread on my project car which is a 1981 Dodge Omni 024 with a NA 2.2 carbed and a auto trans :deadhorse: it has 70k original miles and the car is in pretty good shape for the year and being a east coast car.
I got it for $400 starts up but has its issues leaky water pump and fuel pump gasket. The breaks are wore badly and carb is crap!

A week after i got it i noticed a 91 dodge daytona shelby at the local junkyard that's been sitting on top of a bus. I asked to look at it and seen it was a 2.5 spfi turbo with a 5 speed and looked all complete and unmolested. He said its been sitting for 9 years and when i asked if they'd sell the whole car he said yes. I asked if it ran and they said it was running when it came in but that was 9 years ago.
I asked the guy if i could try and getting it running ( i wasn't going to buy a non running motor) he said go for it. Well it had no keys rotted fuel lines and lots of snake skins mice crap and etc lol. After he took it down from the bus i had come back with a battery/tools/gas.

I first cut the A/C belt and the water pump belts good thing as alternator was seized tight. I did't wanna take a chance of timing belt snapping/jumping.
While i poped the ign cyl i had my dad pull the plugs and spray through the holes with wd-40 and added some new oil to the motor. With switch out and battery hooked i got it to turn over and it had spark so with plugs back in and gas in the throttle body it fired up! while my dad sprayed gas in i listened for any noises. None it sounded decent for not being run in the 9 yrs. So we started the dealing he started at $1000 :eek:mg: i ended up getting it for $400 so i put air in the dry rotted tires and car dollied it home!

I now got it stripped mostly of the parts i need engine/trans/80% of the cars wiring except for seats/rear lights. Dash is out and i pulled the center console and shifter for mine. Also will probly take the front k frame off to later pull suspension parts from.

Engine is now on stand and getting somewhat pulled apart except for rotating assy. Plan on putting all new gaskets/seals and painting it. Along with fixing any broken parts.

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
Didn't do much today but got the engine deck clean and the pistons cleaned up pretty good.
Next will be pulling the Balance shafts out!

Attachments

#7 ·
Much awesome.

Subscribed, looking forward to see the progress on this, not enough people saving the 024/TC3's. Kind of reminds me of my k-car project. Car looks pretty good for sitting for 9 years, i've seen 024/tc3's sitting for ~10 years in Atlantic Canada and not much is left under the door handles, sigh

#8 ·
Yeah my 024 was bought new here on the east coast and sat in the owners basement since 2001 until 2015 so thats mostly the only thing that saved it from the death here known or Rust!
The doner car the 91 daytona unfortunately is rotted beyond repair and when jacking the front end up i could here and see that metal in the front end twisting.

#9 ·
Stupid exhaust housing bolts didn't want to comply with me last night :bash: 2 out of 4 came out at least even after drilling and trying an easy out still nothing. Finally just drilled the 2 out completely and i will tap and put one of those step up studs and get 2 original size studs for the other 2.

And stated getting into the turbo the seal between the center section and exhaust housing where the clamp goes was crap/shot. Another thing is the fuel lines are weathered and i see the fuel in is part of the fuel rail so i don't know if fuel injection hose and good clamps will work as a replacement or not.?

Anyone know of a reliable source to get a rebuild kit for the TE04h? Will be upgrading to a t03 but for this year would like to have the car together and driving lol

Attachments

#14 ·
You might want to look into getting a 1988 or 89 fuel rail.

Yours looks pretty rusty and the older ones accept a fuel line directly without the push lock coupler.

Thanks
Randy

#16 ·
Well today i'm bringing my block to machine shop got mostly all my parts in except for a frost plug kit seem to be out of stock everywhere. I went to junk yard last week and pulled a head off a van 2.5 tbi n/a to see if it also had the common crack between valve seats which it did but the cam/journals and caps are like mint condition and no broken bolts unlike my turbo head.
For $50 i took it i'm going to have my turbo valves installed and the tbi head is also stamped TS (tapered shroud) only thing is it isn't cross drilled. Which i'm not to worried about as this engine isn't being modded up until later on.
Hopefully there is no there cracks in the head.

#17 ·
Went to the junk yard today to pick up a rear window louver on a charger then i seen at first glance what i thought was a stock valve cover laying on pass floor board ended up being a chrome one so i grabbed it as i never seen one with a chromie lol . All for $50 Deal of the day!

Attachments

#18 ·
High Output 2.2 Engines came with chrome valve covers from the factory!!

First used in 1983 Shelby Chargers then optional on even 4 drs until about 1985.

Thanks
Randy

#24 ·
I don't think that one is a Shelby Charger.

Looks like a 1984-85 Charger or Turismo.

H.O. Engine was available on some L Bodys during that time frame.

Anyone know exactly which ones??

1984-86 GLH : 1985 Horizon 4 dr : 1983 Direct Connection Rampage/ Shelby

Any more??

Thanks
Randy

#26 ·
84 - 86 Charger and Turismo "2.2" was optioned with the H.O Engine and 5-speed. 84 had the least, around 500, 85-86 have 3-4 thousand per year. For the Turismo, I "think" the Duster package got the H.O motor standard, but I could be wrong. Have a look at my production figure database for more info, link in my signature

#28 ·
Nice data base, I haven't seen it before. My previous post stated the H.O. was available in the 1985 Horizon 4 dr but I see it was 1984 only.

I don't think the H.O. was std equipment in the Duster, I've had a few but none were H.O.

Thanks
Randy

#34 · (Edited)
Note folks the database is not complete by any means, it is a just a compilation of members knowledge and facts from literature and online sources, if something is not there it's because I have no factual evidence/number of them to list

Sorry for the hijack, but I hope the info was useful by some means!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.