Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1981 Dodge Omni 024 Build 2.2 To 2.5T

9K views 38 replies 8 participants last post by  CM-Charger 
#1 ·
Hey guys i figured i'd start a build thread on my project car which is a 1981 Dodge Omni 024 with a NA 2.2 carbed and a auto trans :deadhorse: it has 70k original miles and the car is in pretty good shape for the year and being a east coast car.
I got it for $400 starts up but has its issues leaky water pump and fuel pump gasket. The breaks are wore badly and carb is crap!

A week after i got it i noticed a 91 dodge daytona shelby at the local junkyard that's been sitting on top of a bus. I asked to look at it and seen it was a 2.5 spfi turbo with a 5 speed and looked all complete and unmolested. He said its been sitting for 9 years and when i asked if they'd sell the whole car he said yes. I asked if it ran and they said it was running when it came in but that was 9 years ago.
I asked the guy if i could try and getting it running ( i wasn't going to buy a non running motor) he said go for it. Well it had no keys rotted fuel lines and lots of snake skins mice crap and etc lol. After he took it down from the bus i had come back with a battery/tools/gas.

I first cut the A/C belt and the water pump belts good thing as alternator was seized tight. I did't wanna take a chance of timing belt snapping/jumping.
While i poped the ign cyl i had my dad pull the plugs and spray through the holes with wd-40 and added some new oil to the motor. With switch out and battery hooked i got it to turn over and it had spark so with plugs back in and gas in the throttle body it fired up! while my dad sprayed gas in i listened for any noises. None it sounded decent for not being run in the 9 yrs. So we started the dealing he started at $1000 :eek:mg: i ended up getting it for $400 so i put air in the dry rotted tires and car dollied it home!

I now got it stripped mostly of the parts i need engine/trans/80% of the cars wiring except for seats/rear lights. Dash is out and i pulled the center console and shifter for mine. Also will probly take the front k frame off to later pull suspension parts from.

Engine is now on stand and getting somewhat pulled apart except for rotating assy. Plan on putting all new gaskets/seals and painting it. Along with fixing any broken parts.

See less See more
#36 ·
Well got some parts and the block painted up went a little old school mopar and went Hemi orange and going to be running the 2.2 HO Chrome valve cover.
This is the main part about redoing a engine i hate is cleaning the parts for paint and reassembly lol

Another note the local Advance auto has a deal going $20 store credit for used car battery's so brought back 6 now i have enough to get a new camshaft :deal:

Attachments

#37 ·
Update on this. I've been going slowly about it as it's winter and i'm in no rush. I went through and rebuilt fuel rail new seals and i cleaned the injectors. Also went through and cleaned and checked the throttle body so now that's all done.
I cleaned up the water pump housing some for better flow and added a new water pump. Got the rotating assembly done crank and pistons after checking clearances and ring gaps. Also got the aux shaft in and the oil seals put on motor. Had an issue with gaskets as rock auto gave me wrong ones and i don't like the PTFE rear main so got a rubber one insted.
I'm know waiting for MP oil pump and head bolts to get here i got off ebay.

I removed balance shafts and plugged the oil hole. Now can i gut the balance shaft assy housing reinstall and use that to keep oil from splashing around or should is there a weld in screen/baffle i can get for the pan?
Also does anyone know where i could get new studs for exhaust manifold the 4 that hold the turbo on?

#38 ·
Just saw this post. It's good to see another older L-body getting fixed up. I've been working with my son on an 81 4-door. They are just a little different than 83 up. (think that's the year). A later subframe assy. will give you more options for brakes, knuckles, sway bars, etc. The rear spindles use smaller wheel bearings (maybe just outer) than newer ones so you may want later spindles and backing plates to open up your options there too. Might be worth grabbing at a junkyard if you can get a good deal just in case you go that route later. Good luck with your project. Should be a fun car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.