Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Canadian Direct Connection Dodge Rampage with a 2.2L and a 5 speed. I am the presumed third owner, my great grandfather (passed away a while back) was the last owner who left it on our property a long time ago and it has sat up until 2009 when put gas and a battery in it and it fired up in no time, with 83000km the engine runs and pulls awesome. As a resault of the poor Canadian weather though the vehicles body has rusted quite badly on the rear box and floors. I am looking to do a full restoration, you don't see many rampages, yet alone direct connection ones.
First thing in going to start on is the rear box, I don't think it can be removed and as far as patch panels go I can't find any so I assume what rust repair I do will be hand fabbed and/or from a rust free cars panels.
I will then move onto the cab, the doors a dinged up a bit and I have no idea of the condition of the rockers; as for the floors I might just fabricate them myself.
The entire front end is shared with the Daytona/Omni so that's easy to fix.
As far as the drive train I plan to turbo the current power plant and maybe after its all fixed for rust swap a 318 into it.
Pictures of said vehicle

The block and valve covers are orange, I don't know if a past owner did that or if it was factory.

Feel free to ask questions. Any help or advice would be nice and any links to parts would be great.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Your car has interchageability with the following

This is what the Rampage is based on platform wise.
1978 - 1981 Omni 024 & Horizon TC3 2 door hatchback
1982 - 1983 Charger ( base + 2.2 and shelby ) Turismo ( Base + 2.2 ) both hatchback version.
Almost everything will fit with the exception of a few parts like taillamps and
rear trailing axle and rear leaf springs.

Hood and nose is different in 1984 through 1987 in Charger and Turismo line except the Shelby Charger still had the two headlamp system through the 87 model year
But everything else remains the same as the older version listed at the beginning of message.

Out of the 4 door Omni + Horizon models
front suspension components + dash + engine + transmission components
No doors or body panels interchange with Rampage model
There is no interchageable parts with Daytona / Laser line Called G body

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think you'd be happier with a 2.2/2.5 turbo swap than a 318.
There are a few of us TD'ers in Alberta, so I'm sure we can find you some assistance/moral support!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You may be better off fabricating the floors, those are getting pretty hard to find in good shape, and almost impossible up north. When you do find a car with good floors up here, chances are that its a car that been collected and shouldn't be scrapped.

+1 on the turbo powerplant swap as these guys said. Get a t2 motor and swap it in. You'll be surprised how far and fast you can push them.

·
Administrator
4,017 Posts
x5 on the turbo swap, you will make just as much power with a built 2.2 Turbo II (which is a drop in) as a mild 318 at the fraction of the cost. To put in lightly there is Rampages running 10 sec on 2.2 turbos, a bit extreme but 13-12 sec can be had rather easily.

Also some production figure trivia there where 248 Canadian Direct Connection Rampages made only in 1984

Sliding rear window - nice! and rare.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, Your DC Rampage is very rare and well worth saving.
Nice Barracuda and Mustang too, by the way!
:)
We're having a Turbo-Dodge meet May 26th in Red Deer, if you're able to make it.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I think you have the 2.2 liter HO engine with 110 HP already in there, And I also agree with the others that dropping in 2.2 Turbo 1 or 2 or even a T 3, would most definatly put a smile on your face with the power that they produce would be more then sufficant for this Rampage with out having to do major work to have a 318 in there.
Fender or rad tags would provide you with info on engine type
2.2 or 2.2 HO and option codes
There should also be one that says Direct Connection on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2.2 turbo seems like the best way to go then, how do I tell if it is a 2.2HO, and where can I find a good aftermarket 16 valve head? Thanks for all the help, I was thinking of swapping every single thing unto a more rust free body as a cheaper alternative to doing a bunch of body work, would that be better?
If there is no way to get a aftermarket 16 valve head can I swap a neon head onto my 2.2 or where can I find a nice cam shaft at?
Ill get some pictures of the tags today, and I know for sure the direct connection one is there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
HUM? Never seen a DC 'Page with that hood or without the DC side decals, interesting? Took me over 3 years of heavy searching to come up with one of those 248 roof spoilers for my Scamp. You ever try to drill 4 holes in a perfectly good roof and properly locate all 4 without a miss?:fingersx:...X? on the nixing the 318 in favor of the T-1, T-2, or T-3. That little puppy only weighs 2250. The 318 will add 'bout 300 to that and that's not counting the RWD set up. Have fun with it which ever way you go. They are:cool: Jer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has the direct connection side decals, they are orange and blend in well with the paint so it's hard to see them at first glance, you can see the sticker in the passenger side photo.
I took a video a while back, since then I have somewhat fixed the shifter linkage problem, it sounds so loud because one of the mufflers fell off a long time ago.
youtube(put a *** here)com/watch?v=SLPjikCezRE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found 3 2.2 turbo engines at my local pull a part, 2 are the same while the 3rd one has a different intake manifold.
First one is the different one, says the car has 113 thou original km

Which one should I go with or should I grab certain parts from each?
There is also a turbo supra with the turbo intact, a ct26, would that be better than the stock g3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cylinder head casting number

Build plate and Direct Connection plate

Build plate

What can to guys get from that build plate? And from what I can find is that if I was to turbo my current 2.2 I would have to take the exhaust valves from a turbo engine, but otherwise my head flows better than the turbo heads.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mopar Man, I wasn't questioning the authentisity(sp) of your ride, and yes, now I see the fender portion of that DC decal Thanks. Being from the lower 48 I've had limited access to the DC rides. As for the turbo swap, GRAB THE FUEL CELL AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE HOOD FROM EITHER THE 2ND OR 3RD TURBO CAR, YOU'LL NEED IT! As for the split back glass If you want a spare, PM me. If you're going to make SDAC22 in Motown I can probably deliver! Jer

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Small world. I had a black Rampage turbo that I still regret selling. If you have any questions about Turbocharging your Rampage I have some experience and many engine parts.

Thanks
Randy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts