Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my search for OEM replacements I found there's a high and low key horn. Why one key wasn't enough leads me to believe there's something to covering pitches everyone can hear. Was I close? So, do they make one horn to accomplish this? Are there two different tones, so you can tell when one fails?

·
Administrator
24,445 Posts
If the vehicle has two horns one is a high note the other is a low note.
Very easy to tell them apart, the high note sounds like a "sissy" horn that a lot of imports use, the low note will sound "bassy" like a tugboat.

The replacements are universal, I have had replacement horns on my car for over 20 years.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just went through the same thing with my '85 Reliant. As you indicated, there's a high tone (2808869) and a low tone (2808868). I wasn't sure, so ended up buying Standard part number HN-16T from Rock Auto for a little over 13 bucks. I figured low is better than high...and most horns for older cars are surprisingly universal insofar as installation.

After I dug into it a bit further (I'm doing lots of work to this car), I discovered I have both high and low installed. The low is mounted on the core support to the right of the radiator, just ahead of the water pump. The high note horn is tucked way up under the front bumper cover, in front of and below the right side headlamp. I guess that's what they mean by dual-note horn.

Turns out my horns were fine; I just had some wonky wiring and a missing relay courtesy of the previous owner. If you're an originalist, the Mopar horns are available on eBay (but they can get expensive).

Fifty-five bucks plus shipping! for the low-note:

Twenty bones plus shipping for the high-note:

~Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a pair from JP Cycles for about $23 including shipping and tax. I think they're plastic, but looked cool. God bless.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's a pretty good deal! Make sure you orient them in the right direction (down-ish) so you don't get water or debris in the horns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts