Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have seen me talk about this project and all the different aspects of it so I thought I would make a project log. This project has been in progress for so long I almost cant remember driving this dang car. Here it is from the beginning

Fall 2010

Here is the car the day I bought it. 66K miles, 2 owners, paint was 2 years old, turbo was blown.

As you can see, the car was already converted to 86 GLH T2 electronics.

Fresh Garrett rebuilt with a s-60 wheel and 2-year warranty for $450

Spring 2011

After getting the turbo back on with a 2-piece I picked up. I made some mistakes, I didn't know much or understand our cars very well at this time and was just going for it.

Turns out you have to clean the block really really good or you will burn a ton of coolant!
After I tore it down again, switched to a swirl head and FWDp Stage-3 GLH Cal.

Fall 2011

Right before the big failure.

Smoked a piston. Went lean at 12psi so I started building a new motor and amassing a ton of go-fast goodies.
Legit HKS BOV o-ring and snap-ring kit to stop the boost leak
2.5" Intercooler piping kit. polished with black couplers
large FMIC, same side in out
Better trans cooler and inline filter
AEM wideband
Autometer Vac/Boost
Digital Fuel Pressure Gauge
Accufab AFPR
+40% Injectors
FWDp Stage-5 3-bar 87 Cal
K&N Cone filter with hydrophobic wrap.
Roller cam setup
PT Lifters / shims
Comp Beehives / 3100 retainers
High stall TC & 86 trans pump w/ new gears.
Mallory Coil
Magnecore 8.5mm wires
MP cap and rotor
other stuff I'm probably forgetting

Spring 2012

Bought a turbo-z body kit, only missing the 4 small side molding pieces (have since acquired the rear ones, still need the front 2!) Will put it on the car some day!

Fall 2012

Finally had all my parts together (or so I thought...) "finished" putting the block together. Forged Wiseco pistons, T2 Rods, 87 block, forged crank, ARP everything.

Early 2013

Got some louvers too! (disregard the bottle of HEET holding them up lmao!)

Made a nice bracket for my FMIC, replacing the brackets from the TII IC.

Summer 2013

Acquired a 1991 Direct Connection big-valve ported G-Head.

Got the big plenum and throttle body from Lengel installed along with a spacer from Acannell and the ported lower runners from TU.

Fall 2013

Moved to a new place in south-west Detroit so I had to move everything I had piling up! I'll post some pics of my Daytona's new home later.

Winter 2013

Not much progress being made.

Took my head to my work (Livernois Motorsports) to have them re-port and do a whole once-over on it to make sure its right. They are working on it on the side so its low priority, probably be done in a month or so.

Bringing in my freshly built short-block also. Going to have them check clearances since I have little faith in the machine shop that originally did the work. They are going to line-hone the main journals for studs. Quoted me 6hrs for worst-case scenario tear down, machine and reassembly. I figure my peace of mind is worth the money to have a real performance engine shop go over everything.

Anyone have a spare stock bore TII block laying around in case my piston-to-wall clearance is too big? Never taking my stuff to ghetto machine shops again!

Mocked up a triple gauge pod for the center console.
Dash bezel isn't screwed in so its a bit low in the middle, but the holes are all centered perfectly when it is.

Oh and I got some aluminum side louvers too!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man is this a pretty engine! :thumb:

- Gotta get that water pump housing the heck out of there though..........lol
Thanks man. Yeah the pump is ugly. I did get it sand blasted and then I clear coated it, so it looks better than it used to lol. If this reverse pump deal comes far enough by the time I put it all back together I will probably look into that. I'm definitely buying that pump-delete block when its finalized just in case.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My work welded up my head today, I have the new seats, just waiting on guides from Cindy so he can start putting it back together.

Heres what it looked like when I first got it:

The exhaust port looked insanely bad, worse than this picture really shows. The exhaust valve did a real number on it when it blew through the turbo!

Then I took it to a place to fix it up but they did a pretty shitty job. (didnt fix the port, just the bowl, and they didnt do that very well either.)

Then I took it to another guy who welded, but again he didnt fix the port, just the bowl. (and again, he didnt do a very good job)

Now my work has it (Livernois Motorsports) and this is the port after it has been welded up.

Next he will go over all the ports and smooth them out, then re-work the bowls to all be the same CC. Also he has to adjust the valve height on every valve because they are all off by several thousandths.

More pics to come!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cylinder head is done, bringing it home friday so I should have some good pictures for you guys.

A few extra things he did to hook me up:
- Venturi the exhaust seats into the ports
- adjusted valve tip height
- competition valve job
- custom exhaust guide (bore was conical and had to be bored bigger to be straight)
- deburred the entire head

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well $700 later (including first 2 places I took the head :bang head) and it actually looks like brand new again! I don't think anyone could ever tell it was totally trashed at one point. All new exhaust seats, venturi'd exhaust seats into ports, smoothed #2 exhaust port, new exhaust guides, 1 custom made exhaust guide (guide hole was ovaled, had to be drilled out), competition valve job, allot of welding to the deck of the head, combustion chamber and the port itself. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Also, where did you get the side louvers? They look sweet !!
Care to make me a 3 gauge pod? :) I would love to put my gauges in that spot in the 86 Turbo Z
Nice work on your car! Please smoke some ricers and video-tape it !!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice dude!! How much whp you think you will get outta her?? What are you doing for a tranny?
I'm looking for 450whp but due to limited budget for a transmission and bigger turbo, I'm just assembling it with the stock a413 and a big wheel 60 trim T2 Garrett. I'm going to keep boost around 15psi until I can afford a 555 or 568 swap and a Holset. Plus stick is more fun to drive! :thumb:

Also, where did you get the side louvers? They look sweet !!
Care to make me a 3 gauge pod? :) I would love to put my gauges in that spot in the 86 Turbo Z
Nice work on your car! Please smoke some ricers and video-tape it !!
Thanks allot!

The side louvers are aluminum and I bought from a forum member here for a really good price including the mounting hardware with new tape.

As for the gauge plate I'm actually working on having some of those made right now out of aluminum or abs. I'm probably going to do a run of 10 and gauge interest based on how quickly they sell. I'll make sure I let you know when they are done.

I will love beating on some ricers, It will probably do it just fine even on 15psi. I figure this car will be making around 11whp per psi with all the increased flow I have. Tax time will buy me a 3" turbo-back exhaust system from TU so that's one of my biggest flow issues fixed right there. Waiting on a bigger turbo to worry about the swingvalve.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Extremely cold weather is keeping me from getting crap done! here is a quick list of what I have to do in the next 3 months to get this thing ready for power tour:

1. Get assembled block disassembled, clearances checked and mains honed for studs (at my work $350-$500)
  2. install new gas tank and 255lph walbro previously purchased
  3. buy new performance fuel lines and fittings to replace stock ones (~$150)
  4. buy new 3" turbo-back exhaust from TU ($250)
  5. run new NiCopp brake lines front and rear. (~$75)
  6. Modify current T2 GLH wiring to run 87 stage 5 computer
  7. install AEM wideband
  8. install digital fuel pressure gauge
  9. attach cylinder head with intake/exhaust manifolds to engine block
  10. attach engine and transmission together
  11. install engine into vehicle
  12. run new IC piping
  13. install vacuum block
  14. check, re-check, and triple check everything
  15. engine break-in process
  16. drive at least 500 miles to confirm no issues
  17. enjoy

There are definitely things I am forgetting or just too small to list, but I do think this list from 1-15 is doable in 2 months, and use the last month or so to break in the engine on the road. Hopefully my tax return is nice and fat!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well power tour isn't happening this year as I lost my job. The plan right now is to get the engine put together and installed in the vehicle (to save space) then move it over to my parents house until next spring (2015) because I will be moving to Indianapolis in a month or so. My girlfriends apt in Indy doesn't have space for a non-running car, and nowhere to work on it, but once we get a condo next spring I will have a garage again and I will bring the Daytona down to Indy.

It sucks because I'm really close to having it running, all I need is to hang the new tank/pump and run new fuel lines and new brake lines and it will be done. Unfortunately I dont have the cash to make that happen right now so its just gonna have to wait one more year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts