Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved this car for free from my uncle, it has a rebuilt motor and trans with only 5000k on it. one day the car just died and never started again. i took it home and started working on it. It cranked no problem when i first got it. poured a little gas down the carb and it started right up no problem. So i dropped the fuel tank and replaced the fuel pump with one out of the wreckers. got the tank all in and wired up, pump works great. Fuel through the lines. Now it wont turn over. the whole car turns on when the key is turned, but the starter wont engage!! So then i thought a relay or i fried the starter. Went back to the wreckers and got a few of the three relays. tried them all and all led to the same problem. Starter wont engage. so i jumped the wire to the starter and it turns over no problem. The starter is fine it just wont work off the key. If anyone could please give me some advise i would be so happy. No forum anywhere can give me any type of advise it seems. I only got one pic, and ill use it lure people into looking at this thread. It is literally rust free. great condition.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im in canada. and i would like the car if it would run. lol, im ready to smash it. starter relay, i will go buy a brand new one tomoro and see what happens.... any other advise. what do u mean bad connection? like from the ignition to the relay?

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
poured a little gas down the carb and it started right up no problem.
wasn't the GTS a turbo? a draw-thru turbo? :confused:

Does it really have a carb on it? I don't think it should.

I'm picturing you pouring gas into the throttle-body and half filling your turbo's compressor housing.:p

That's awesome!:thumb:

I needed something funny to think about.:D

BTW, its possible you got problems with wiring in your column or a flaky ignition switch if the new relay doesn't help.

I could post a diagram if you need it:)

· Registered
2,728 Posts
if its a 5-speed, check your clutch engage switch inside the cab, ive been having issues with mine lately. kills the power to the starter if the clutch isnt depressed.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not a stick, and the turbo thing...... lol, this car is weird. It was a turbo, it has a turbo delete on it. and ya i know i put it down the TBI, lol. dont ask me why the turbo was taken off. i have all the reciepts to the rebuild for the motor and trans. and for a brandnew turbo. but it is not there. all the hookups have been changed out for it to run without a turbo. Ya , i know i have no idea why or how this is done......

· Registered
3,351 Posts
I'm flying in the dark here. Neutral safety switch on transmission. Play with the selector while turning the key to start. Also a brown ground wire to the top of the transmission. check this site for the wires to the relay on the fender. MiniMopar Resources

can you hear the fuel pump prime for a second when you turn the key to on?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya fuel pump is working fine. Im not stranger to mechanics. I work on my 4x4 all the time. But its a 4runner, so this car is quite diffrent from what im used to. Clearance mainly, i cant just crawl under, i gotta jack it up. lol, Its a pain. also ive never worked on any dodge before. Then the whole its a turbo, but yet its not. with a fuel injected carb? lol i was an still am mostly confused about this thing. i dont really know where to begin. which is why i started at the fuel pump. It is unfortunate as the car is in great shape and i have seen it run.

· Registered
768 Posts
Are you getting power to throw the relay when you turn the key.

If it's like every other relay...you should have constant power to one side of the relay and a wire that goes to the starter. Then a ground wire and a wire from the starter switch. Run a test light from the starter switch to the ground. If that doesn't light, try from the starter switch wire to another ground to see if the relay is getting grounded.

If it still doesn't work, then you obviously have a problem with the signal coming from the switch. (You did check fuses right?)

· Helping when I can
1,327 Posts
Its not a stick, and the turbo thing...... lol, this car is weird. It was a turbo, it has a turbo delete on it. and ya i know i put it down the TBI, lol. dont ask me why the turbo was taken off. i have all the reciepts to the rebuild for the motor and trans. and for a brandnew turbo. but it is not there. all the hookups have been changed out for it to run without a turbo. Ya , i know i have no idea why or how this is done......
That blew my mind.

snap a pic of the engine and post it for us please. sounds like its a TBI motor cause you cant just take the turbo off the MPI motor.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The car is running and driving. i will take pics of the screw job car this thing is. lol, you wont believe this. the starter is fine the cellinoid is fine ignition was fine should work fine. but the starter will not engage. i wired in a switch to the starter and cut out the relay. and she runs great. i just gotta hit the switch after turning the key to the on position. i drove it around alittle, i bet its great on gas and it rides smooth. i will take some pics here after supper and show u guys what i mean....

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
didnt get any pics it got dark to fast. It runs ok right now. i obviously need to do the plugs and wires. maybe change the coil as it is rusty as hell. i will get some pics tomoro of the motor...

· Registered
358 Posts
The car is running and driving. i will take pics of the screw job car this thing is. lol, you wont believe this. the starter is fine the cellinoid is fine ignition was fine should work fine. but the starter will not engage. i wired in a switch to the starter and cut out the relay. and she runs great. i just gotta hit the switch after turning the key to the on position. i drove it around alittle, i bet its great on gas and it rides smooth. i will take some pics here after supper and show u guys what i mean....
Anyone say fuseable link?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.