Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the picture is from my 86 laser XT
just wondering if this is a common problem?
or if the previous owner just plain did something stupid to it?
I got another automatic from a 89 spirit turbo 1 car,
I'm going to see if I can swap enough parts to keep my old shorter spline axles. untill I can afford to upgrade to my 523 5-speed and new axles.
hopefully I can swap the spider gears or something to make it work.
does anyone know if I can just swap spider gears or the carrier to keep my old weak axles? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Another trans would be ideal. Replacing the differential and the diff case should get you back on track. Skip it all and go 5sp ASAP:headbang:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the other tranny from the 89 spirit. I just know it's made for the longer spline axels, and it had unequal length cv's that were toast.
so I was going to try and keep my weaker short spline axels that are nearly new for the time being till I can afford new ones for my 523 trans.
guess I'll have to post in parts wanted for the equal length driveline thing :)
seems all the turbo cars I find that are 87+ have unequal length shafts. don't know if they came factory that way or if someone who replaced the CV's just took the driveline out and put in the longer CV.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess this trans isn't going to work anyhow. if you notice on the left side there is a huge crack around the bolt hole, and on the side I found another large crack on the top and bottom. that wrapped half way around the trans, no way will this trans ever be of any use again except for scrap aluminum.
so now I'm on to throwing in the rebuilt 525 I had laying around it's freshly rebuilt and I plan on keeping the car pretty much stock so hopefully it won't grenade on me too soon.

also there is no way to convert to the 86 and earlier year axles with the newer trans without a 86 or earlier ring gear and carrier as the new carrier has about twice as many bolts holding the ring gear on and completly different spacing in the carrier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts