Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got this car a few days ago from a kid who thought he knew everything about cars and he cut some vaccum hoses and took off the ac unit and put on a cold air intake. im suprised the car even runs honestly but i can give it half pedal it will go fine but when i floor it the power cuts in and out and the power limited light come on and off. my cousins 300z had this same kind of problem and all it need was a mass air flow sensor but this car doesnt have one so idk what the problem could be. any ideas?

·
Administrator
25,650 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!
You said the "Power Limited" light was on which means there are fault codes stored.
Retrive the codes and post back.
You can retrive the codes by...
Turning the ignition key on/off, on/off, on
The lamp will begin to flash, these are the fault codes.
All codes are 2 digit #'s
The lamp will flash the 1st digit with longer/slower flashes followed by a pause then the
2nd digit with slightly quicker/shorter flashes.
There will then be a 2-3 second pause and the next code will be displayed.
The last code you will see is a code 55 which is "end of message" meaning the controller is finished communicating.
Example...
Code 24
2 longer/slower flashes followed by 4 shorter/quicker flashes.
If the battery has recently been dead/disconnected you will have a code 12, this is normal.
If you have numerous codes record them and then clear them(battery disconnect)
Drive the vehicle until the problem occurs and then see which codes return.
If you do not clear codes after repairing an issue they will remain in memory for 50 key starts as long as the problem does not return.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Where in OH are you?

Your symptoms sounded to me like you're hitting overboost. Checked your codes... Lo and behold:

15 Speed sensor Decel at closed throttle If less than 2 mph indicated for over 7-10 seconds on decel

45 Overboost monitor Engine running Boost out of predetermined range

55 is end of codes

Your speed sensor is bad - very common and an easy 10 minute fix. The overboost is serious. Computer is cutting fuel because you're exceeding maximum boost. Could be any number of things, but most likely centered on faulty wastegate actuation. Issues could be (but aren't limited to): faulty wastegate can, seized wastegate puck in swingvalve, wastegate spring too tight, actuator arm too short, wastegate solenoid inop (would expect code 36), VAC line issues to wastegate solenoid, MBC (if installed) adjusted too tight. I'm sure I'm missing some things. Should be an easy fix. Report back and stay out of overboost.

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
Soak with Kroil (best) or WD 40 etc.and then"work" it loose after some time allowed to soak in.
If the "puck" is rust-welded to the wastegate port, then you may be at the end of the road.

Easiest way to check if it is seized is to remove the wastegate can arm from the wastegate arm, and move it with your hand; It should move freely and without effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts