Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 CS daytona that needs and engine I have two choices choice number one the one I like is take the engine and head out of a 90 2.5 tI with 220000 but not the tranny cause it's shot or the engine and maybe tranny outta an 88 tII that has 293000 not my favourite choice but it's already half out I'm not scared of the work just knowing that the 88 is a 2.2

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
whats wrong with the motor thats in the car. both the motors you are looking at imo should be gone threw. high milage.

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
220,000km is over 130,000 miles. That's still high mileage. At the very least, run a compression test on the engines if you can.

The problem you have with using a late T1 or a T2 is you will still have to use the '86 intake/electronics. The 2.5 T1 is going to run lean on your '86 2.2 log cal and the timing will be slightly different (both fixable, but it'll never be 100% right that way). The T2 will basically bolt up and the electronics will run it fine, but you'd need to ditch the T2 intake and swap in your log turbo (or at least your compressor cover), and as you said it's higher mileage. You could convert your Daytona over to 88+ electronics but that comes with it's own issues. The easiest thing to do would be to use the T2 motor if it's still good.

·
Banned
580 Posts
130k miles is fine if it was taken care of. Sounds like the OP wants a cheap runner. Rebuilding an engine sounds to be out of affordability.

How about using 1987 T-2 electronics?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha my budget is hopefully $0 which is possible if just swap strait across from one because I happen tI have both engines the problem is that I just found out is I've never seen the 88 tII run so I guess I'll use the 2.5 how lean will it be?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The motor in the car has 178000 kms on it an it blew a cam seal and then it was run 3.5 liters low on oil (when we bout it we found 3 empty oil jugs that had just been put in the car and it was .5 litre low) and its knocking

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
yikes! sorry fo rthe trouble on the log motor. well, you could go with the 2.5 and get a custom cal burned for it in the near future to settle out the differences. for the time being, just keep the boost low with the 86 cal, but remember when you do go to do the custom cal, you will most likely need to convert to 87 electronics, but you my wanna talk to shelgame about that he is the wizard on that stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
a cal. is short for calibration( a chip in the logic module that was programmed with the proper code to run the engine correctly) shelgame does these( a fine job and inexpensively too boot).

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
no, sorry i cant. just contact shelgame, he is a member of this forum he can give you a firm price quote.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
imo, i think use the 86 intke and exhuast with turbo on the 88 2.2. probly will be the cheapest. as long as the 88 motor is good. the 86 lm will work on this set up. cost you a few gaskets and work. theres a hole bounch of opps that you can do but they all cost money. go to this web site and read read read and read it again. Donovan's Dodge Garage turbo data base.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, but he said he doesnt know how and if the 88 2.2 runs, thats why i went to the 2.5, to me, the 2.2 would be the no brainer solution to this problem but not much of a solution if it is seized or rod knocking on fire up.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
this is true. he needs to check compression. and pull the pan and inspect the bearings. if it was mine id pull it apart and freshen it up. but again that takes funds. it really sucks to go threw all that work and find out the motor has a bad rod.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
i agree, but i think he is lacking in the funds dept. like alot of us.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The one in it has a bad rod I just don't want to do the work to find out the other 2.2 has a bad rod I know for sure that the 2.5 is solid because I jave driven it a fair bit

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha idkanything I have money I just don't have much I'm jut a kid and I work for min wage once a week

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
The 2.2 ECU will not run the 2.5 properly. The 2.5 needs more fuel through the range. With the later multi-port setup you can cheat by installing FFV or +20 injectors. I don't know how well the log setup will take to that since it batch fires. You'd probably end up with lowsy fuel economy. Besides the fuel, the 2.5 is 4 degrees different on timing so you'll need to adjust it for that too. You're going to need to swap the manifolds, fuel rail, and turbo no matter which engine you go with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts