Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 1986 Dodge Turbo Z. I was driving it came to a stop, pulled away from the stop and was shifting into 2nd under medium throttle when the car suddenly lost power and started to run very rough with no power. It has that "hollow deep sound" you get when a vehicle is bogging out really bad. It does not have an engine code. I went over the vacuum hoses and replaced some that were suspect, no change. pulled EGR valve, cleaned and checked and it was fine. It only has 96k original miles and has been well taken care of. Any help is appreciated as this is my first 2.2 turbo car and I normally play with the older v8s, thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Are you sure you didn't run out of gas? Is your gauge accurate? I had similar problem. I came off highway, she bogged & bucked . Had no power also. It would shut down & then I would have to turn it back on . Did this until I made it home. Buddy came with a fuel pressure gauge & during testing, it read no pressure. Fuel tank was empty !! I have a digital dash that showed I had gas. Turns out it was not reading correctly. Anyway, maybe check fuel pressure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gas, it will stay running, it just suddenly had no power. I was able to limp it home and I can start it. When I was driving home the turbo gauge was jumping a little. Off the line it would hardly go. I had to ride the clutch and then once it was going it would smooth out a little but not much. Thanks for taking the time to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 89 2.5l turbo and im having somewhat the same problem, as soon as i start it.. it runs great until i hit full throttle then it starts to bog down.. if i dont hit full throttle and just baby it, it will run for about 5 min until it does the same thing. It has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, regulator, computers fine, tps sensor is new, new map sensor, haven't changed the AIS but runs fine at idle.. And also idle fuel pressure is about 47 - 48 psi but as soon as i rev it, it jumps to 55psi. not really sure what else it could be.. any help appreciated!

·
Administrator
26,190 Posts
You need to diagnose the basic systems to determine what happened.

Fault Codes
Cam/Ignition Timing
Fuel Pressure
Exhaust Restrictions
Air Intake Restrictions

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
89daytonaESttop said:
does anyone know if the 89's have a fuel pump relay and where its located?!
You will get better results when asking for answers if you post up your own thread. Please stay on subject, it becomes frustrating for the original poster to figure out whos talking to who when someone else chimes in with their own problems and questions. Not trying to come off as mean, but it would yield better results for both him and you if you started your own thread. Thank you.

And yes, they have a fuel pump relay, known as the ASD. If I remember correctly, yours should be located on the passenger firewall. I am not 100% sure where they are located when they removed them from the power module.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got a chance to get back to the car, been working to much. my compression tester was old and shot so I borrowed a buddies and I have no compression on cylinders 1 and 2, so I am leaning towards a blown head gasket. That would definitely explain the way it was running. Sound about right? or am I missing something?

·
Administrator
26,190 Posts
Because alot will be coming apart this is a good time to replace/inspect neglected/worn items such as....
Water Pump, Drive Belts, Hoses, Thermostat, Coolant, Oil/Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter Cap/Rotor/Wires/Plugs, Throttle Body /AIS Cleaning, Vacuum Lines, Fuel Lines, Injector O'Rings, Manifold Gaskets, etc.

Parts you will have to/should have on hand...
Headgasket, Headbolts, Valve Cover Gasket, Exhaust Flange Gasket and Exhaust Flange Bolts.

The head and deck will have to checked for flatness either by a shop or using a straightedge, spec is no more than .005" variance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here is a little update, sorry it took so long. As i said previously I am not very experienced with these cars, I normally play with the older v8s. I did the compression test after realizing it wasn't a vacuum line and found no compression between cylinders 1 and 2. I was going to do a slip and slide head gasket swap (I know, I know) but during inspection I could see that the head between 1 and 2 was eaten away. The gasket had a gap between the cylinders about 1", just gone. the gasket between the other cylinders was getting rough also. I found a head locally that had been resurfaced but after getting it home and checking closer it is part #4323287 which, from my research, is an '85 bathtub head non turbo and my understanding is that it won't work. Am I correct? I have only put 3000 miles of the 96k that is on the car. I used mid grade gas when driving around and "super" if I thought I was going to get into the turbo, which was pretty rare. I only guess the previous owner used low grade gas. I am going to sell the car when it is fixed but I don't want to install the wrong head and give the next owner my headache, so any help will be greatly appreciated. At this point I would sell the car for 1500 just to be done with it. Thanks for you input

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
The 287 head will lower the compression a little and would be better since you run mid grade. The timing won't be as agressive either for that head so it would be a good fit for the way you drive. Otherwise it will need turbo exhaust valves installed and the ones from your old 782 head won't work as they are longer.I have a recently rebuilt 782 from my 91 that I would trade if you're interested. I only use G heads on all my cars.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.