Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1987 CSX oil question

2K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  GLHS0325 
#1 ·
hey all. I'm prepping for the first oil change in my csx and am a bit confused about the oil weight. The manual says it was originally equipped with 5w30, but to use 15w50. 15w50??? Sounds a bit... thick... is this right? I mean I know that's what the manual says... but wooooooow..... car has 68k miles on it. Will only be driving in summer to car shows. Maybe fall and spring. No winter.

#2 ·
I never went to anything other than 5W-30 no matter what the temps were outside.
I used to use 5w-50 in my first two cars { 225 slant six } and got a lot of sludge deposits.
I've used Mobil 1 5W-30 in all my cars with the 2.2 and conventional 5W-30 in the A-525 transmissions.
I never had an oil related problem or failure.

#5 ·
If you have great oil pressure you can get by with 5-30

5-30 is kind of like our transaxles that came with ATF.

The bare minimum suitable for light duty applications.

Manufactures spec. the lightest oil for CAFE ratings.

Shelby gave good backdoor advice, in my opinion.

For me Mobil 1 caused valve train clacking after a hard run.

Every other oil I used didn't have this issue, go figure.

Many new Engines are suffering cam, lifter and rocker failures.

All use very low viscosity, often expensive oils, coincidence??

Viscosity is your friend, how low you go is up to you.

My unpopular opinions are based on many years of oil experimenting.

My 2001 Sebring 2.7 has about 350 K and still purrs like new.

I used everything including straight # 40 over the past almost 20 yrs.

Wifes 2011 Chrysler 3.6 just developed the infamous Pentastar rocker tick.

Dealer only 5-30 oil until now but not for long, I trusted them due to VVT.

After I change the rockers I'll be looking up my old friend, Mr Viscosity!!

Thanks
Randy

#6 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is that 5W-30 is a range of viscosity that the oil will thin or thicken to.
Hence 5 weight-30 weight.
Some people will run 0W-30 because (apparently) you can make a little more horsepower with the 0W spec.
I don't know if that's true or not.

#8 ·
Ok, now I'm confused because the Shelby supplemental manual says to use 5w-30 in cold climates whereas the Chrysler service manual says "SAE 5w-30 and 5w-40 are not recommended in Turbocharged engines in ambient temperatures above 60 Deg. Fahrenheit.

#10 ·
Yes, back then, there was the 5-year 50,000 mile warranty and they stressed the importance of the correct oil.
Even with buying a turbo, people still didn't do proper maintenance.
Oil and filter changes on a frequent basis would have saved a lot more turbos and engines.
Oil (even Mobil 1) and filters are cheap compared to replacing an engine.

#16 ·
I recently did an oil change of 5w30 on my 88 shadow 2.2 turbo. Now I'm wondering if ishould drain it since 5w30 isnt recommend in turbos. Especially considering the motor has 205k miles and knocks. As for the csx, ill probably stick with the 15w50 for sure.

#18 ·
Yes exactly!
This is also why I'm confused, because the service manual and the original Shelby Turbo Charger manual say Not to use 5w-30, yet the Shelby manual says to use it in warm climates.
An oil change is on my check-list and I think I'm going to try 15w-50 for the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.