Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Use 10-30w. I use Red Line, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 all synthetic in that order. Amsoil is another very good one.
If those aren't in your budget, lots of higher end conventional dino oils are para synthetic (blend) if you read the labels. Example is high mileage Castrol GTX.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Use 10-30w. I use Red Line, Royal Purple or Mobil 1 all synthetic in that order. Amsoil is another very good one.
If those aren't in your budget, lots of higher end conventional dino oils are para synthetic (blend) if you read the labels. Example is high mileage Castrol GTX.
All good choices on the synthetics above.
For conventional I like Pennzoil 5W-30.
I use Mobil 1 5W-30 year round in the GLHS.
The only synthetic I wouldn't use is Castrol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Engine oil is always a fun topic of discussion.
.We all use it, and we all need it to keep our engine healthy. Frequent oil changes are good.
Even synthetics cannot stop gas dilution or combustion by-products from accumulating in the crankcase. If the oil looks dirty and smells bad, then it is time to change i, regardless of the miles driven. Here in Oregon I use 20W-50 in Summer and 10W-40 in Winter.
I had a bad experience with Castrol Edge because that was the oil I was using when my turbo motor lost all compression in every cylinder.. Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so. Anyway, it is not worth the risk. The Castrol Edge has unique flow characteristics because it does not cling to metal parts like regular oil does, instead, the oil seems quick to flow away and shed itself from metal, which is not good if you want the oil to provide a protective film coating.
On another topic, are oil additives any good? Some members do not like oil additives, but I have used STP Oil Treatment for years and swear by its benefits. Motors with high mileage will benefit by reducing the oil burning and.it can improve compression. A similar product that works well is Hyperlube..Hy-per Lube Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment | Rislone Use at your own risk, but it worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts