Turbo Dodge Forums banner

461 - 465 of 465 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
I’m not sure I posted a pic of the engine, but it was looking pretty good.....

HOWEVER; I was rotating it one day(as I do every time I’m down at the shop), and I noticed a paint chip...
I thought to myself that if the paint is flaking off as it sits on the engine stand, I can’t imagine the nightmare once it’s running in the engine bay!

So after a week or three of debating what to do about it I began the paint stripping process.
I immediately noticed that the factory orange paint was still under the black primer my machinist used on the block...

I started on a small section in the corner to get a feel for the stripper and how it works. It’s extremely effective!

As you can see, it bubbles the paint right down to the cast iron. The label directions say to apply and then wait 5 to 15 minutes, then scrape. Obviously scraping an engine block would be nearly impossible, but I used a wire brush and water. I have no hose here; so I used a spray bottle along with the wire brush to rinse/scrub away the old paint and stripper...

Lastly, to prevent the bare iron from rusting I immediately applied a flash coat of primer...

I took my time with this and only got the front side of the engine stripped, about 2hrs. But it’s the first time I’ve used stripper like this, and I have to be sure that the stripper only goes where I want it to.

I’ll post more progress; hopefully soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
and I sold my shelby valve cover to ed
he sold it to you
and here you are

with the D C cover .. I'm STILL looking for instead of..

arugh

looks good , paint or no paint !!!

keep your engine paint as thin as you can

and try to prevent long time winter freezing that allows the paint to shrink sooo much it splits

if your shop was really really cold for an extended time that's probably the issue

thick paint compounds that issue

my blue car below had the paint stick for years and years even after I stopped driving it but one winter in the driveway with no starts and that was the end of the paint

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
and I sold my shelby valve cover to ed
he sold it to you
and here you are

with the D C cover .. I'm STILL looking for instead of..

arugh
Hey Doc! How ya been?
The mileage that SHELBY VC has on it is unbelievable! Because after I got it from Ed, I kept it and painted it to match the silver engine. However, I came across the DC VC, and made a deal for cash plus the SHELBY VC with a guy in CA.
Well, Ed ended up getting from the guy in CA on another deal!!! Crazy, right?

looks good , paint or no paint !!!

keep your engine paint as thin as you can

and try to prevent long time winter freezing that allows the paint to shrink sooo much it splits

if your shop was really really cold for an extended time that's probably the issue

thick paint compounds that issue

my blue car below had the paint stick for years and years even after I stopped driving it but one winter in the driveway with no starts and that was the end of the paint
Thanks for the tip.
I plan on being very meticulous with it. At least as meticulous as possible.
I’ll be sure to update my progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,682 Posts
yep yep
wanted one for thirty years
bought one .. thought I did
guy messaged me back .. he oopsie dropsie it and breaks of a corner
offers me back my cash
I say sorry to hear that and thank you very much

can't remember who that was or , now , who I actually , finally got that one from

there was a life time supply of bubble wrap that came & went with that second one
lol

461 - 465 of 465 Posts