Turbo Dodge Forums banner

461 - 480 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #461
I’m not sure I posted a pic of the engine, but it was looking pretty good.....

HOWEVER; I was rotating it one day(as I do every time I’m down at the shop), and I noticed a paint chip...
I thought to myself that if the paint is flaking off as it sits on the engine stand, I can’t imagine the nightmare once it’s running in the engine bay!

So after a week or three of debating what to do about it I began the paint stripping process.
I immediately noticed that the factory orange paint was still under the black primer my machinist used on the block...

I started on a small section in the corner to get a feel for the stripper and how it works. It’s extremely effective!

As you can see, it bubbles the paint right down to the cast iron. The label directions say to apply and then wait 5 to 15 minutes, then scrape. Obviously scraping an engine block would be nearly impossible, but I used a wire brush and water. I have no hose here; so I used a spray bottle along with the wire brush to rinse/scrub away the old paint and stripper...

Lastly, to prevent the bare iron from rusting I immediately applied a flash coat of primer...

I took my time with this and only got the front side of the engine stripped, about 2hrs. But it’s the first time I’ve used stripper like this, and I have to be sure that the stripper only goes where I want it to.

I’ll post more progress; hopefully soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
and I sold my shelby valve cover to ed
he sold it to you
and here you are

with the D C cover .. I'm STILL looking for instead of..

arugh

looks good , paint or no paint !!!

keep your engine paint as thin as you can

and try to prevent long time winter freezing that allows the paint to shrink sooo much it splits

if your shop was really really cold for an extended time that's probably the issue

thick paint compounds that issue

my blue car below had the paint stick for years and years even after I stopped driving it but one winter in the driveway with no starts and that was the end of the paint

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
and I sold my shelby valve cover to ed
he sold it to you
and here you are

with the D C cover .. I'm STILL looking for instead of..

arugh
Hey Doc! How ya been?
The mileage that SHELBY VC has on it is unbelievable! Because after I got it from Ed, I kept it and painted it to match the silver engine. However, I came across the DC VC, and made a deal for cash plus the SHELBY VC with a guy in CA.
Well, Ed ended up getting from the guy in CA on another deal!!! Crazy, right?

looks good , paint or no paint !!!

keep your engine paint as thin as you can

and try to prevent long time winter freezing that allows the paint to shrink sooo much it splits

if your shop was really really cold for an extended time that's probably the issue

thick paint compounds that issue

my blue car below had the paint stick for years and years even after I stopped driving it but one winter in the driveway with no starts and that was the end of the paint
Thanks for the tip.
I plan on being very meticulous with it. At least as meticulous as possible.
I’ll be sure to update my progress.

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
yep yep
wanted one for thirty years
bought one .. thought I did
guy messaged me back .. he oopsie dropsie it and breaks of a corner
offers me back my cash
I say sorry to hear that and thank you very much

can't remember who that was or , now , who I actually , finally got that one from

there was a life time supply of bubble wrap that came & went with that second one
lol

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Sooooooo,
The project DOES continue.
Made a New Year’s resolution to invest more time into the GLHS. I may have set goals in the past, and deadlines, etc. But, I’m not going to rush it.
The only thing set in stone is that I’m done upgrading ideas until it’s on the road. I must have upgraded every single system/part 10 TIMES OVER!!!

Presently at the shop I’m porting the NOS 655 I got my hands on recently. I’m going to go big with the exhaust ports, and pretty much just lightly port and polish the intake ports.
Also reshaping the BMF flanges to match the 655 intake ports.

I’m also getting a little done down in the electronics shop as well......
(More to come)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Bought the MPSciLink nearly 2years ago, and finally took it out of the box today to begin assembly.
I’m a bit intimidated by it, but I have access to the very people that invented it! So, it shouldn’t be an issue.
Posted a call for help in the MPSciLink thread already.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #469
1-3-2020

Just an update to show the GLHS as it sits in the shop right now.

As you can see, I have been accomplishing a few things here and there.
The fuel system is done from tank to rail. 3/8”(-6AN) feed & return.
And the brakes, including new NiCopp lines throughout, adjustable prop valve, and Dot4 fluid, all done.

This coming weekend, although it’s NFL wildcard weekend, I intend to get in hours at the shop.
Updates to come.

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
D,
looking at your pic I presume I'm looking at the o-e charger rack on your narrowed dual pivot K frame ..
with regard to the rack mount bolts at the cllm end , how well did stuff fit together
- it looks like you simply reused the original holes for the rack bolts at that end , by what I see

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
- it looks like you simply reused the original holes for the rack bolts at that end , by what I see
That’s right Doc.
When I was doing the dual pivot mod, I took note of the position of the bosses.
This way when it was done, the rack bolts right in.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
1-4-2020

I was down to the shop again today, and I got a bit more done on the BMF mod. Potted the #2 runner flange to match the 655 head port.

(Here’s a few pics of the progression)

And the nearly finished port(still have to polish) I should’ve put a light in it to see the port better. I will for future pics(which there will be a lot of )

Thanks again for checking in.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #474
A lot of useful improvements done !
Thank you.
It’s a project that’s taking me absolutely forever, but every single aspect of the build is being done by me, and me alone (except machine work on the short block, and the valve seats being installed in the cylinder head).

There’s SO MUCH that I haven’t listed that I have done, but to properly and accurately update this build log would be a project in and of itself.

But I’m on hiatus from the book of faces. So I should have time to update more often here.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #475
2-1-2020(or about there )

More porting on the 655 as well as the BMF.
While searching for 655 porting pics for reference, I stumbled across the old BMF for the 655 thread. I had forgotten all about that change Asa had made.
If only I could’ve seen the future

Anyway... I finally got around to the intake ports. And if you’ve ever felt the ports on the 655, you immediately notice there’s a shrinking of the port right at the edge. You’ll see it in the pics.
There’s really not much “porting” to be done without the 655 intake ports.
I’m just removing casting flaws on the sides, and smoothing out the entrances of the ports. The rest is really just smoothing.
I used only sanding cartridges; no cutting/porting tools.

I have many pics of each cylinder port. But you get the idea.

Here’s the BMF...

More updates to come... I promise

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,147 Posts
Are you going to be able to match the angle of the port floor to the steep angle of the BMF runner? Moving right along Donnie!:D

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
Are you going to be able to match the angle of the port floor to the steep angle of the BMF runner? Moving right along Donnie!:D
Good question!
And YES! I mean, I’m sure there’s a much more technical way to do it, but using my trusty protractor I was able to get the angles matched up really well.

I haven’t done the final work on the head yet. Haven’t touched the combustion chambers because it’s going to the machinist early next week for the big seats and valve job.
Once they’re in, I’ll be able to blend everything in really well.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Donny, glad to see that you are still plugging away. I'm in the same boat, and have given up creating deadlines that just end up frustrating me. Life keeps getting in the way, creating new priorities.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
Donny, glad to see that you are still plugging away. I'm in the same boat, and have given up creating deadlines that just end up frustrating me. Life keeps getting in the way, creating new priorities.
HI LaserDad!!!
Hope you’re doing well.

Yeah, the deadlines idea has caused me much frustration and sadness
I just thought that it’ll be done when it’s done.

I have stopped my incessant updating and plan changing though. So that’ll definitely help lol.

Thanks for checking in

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hopefully, I'll have one of my three cars running this summer. I don't even have time to post the work I've done, which isn't much. Unfortunately, your porting updates have given me more ideas, which can only add to more delays, LOL.

461 - 480 of 480 Posts