Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1987 GLHS Air Conditioning

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I have an '87 GLHS and it still has the factory A/C in the car. The A/C just blows out normal air, but I do hear the compressor engaging when I turn it on. This leads me to believe that the system is just low on R12. Now I just purchased a manifold gauge set, and three cans of R-12 came with the car when I purchased it. My questions are obvious, HOW DO I RECHARGE THE A/C? I'm not sure where the High or Low ports are (I'm also not with the car right now), I don't know what pressure to set it at, and I'm not 100% clear on the whole procedure anyways. So I know a few of you guys have been in the game for quite a bit, and probably worked at shops when this was standard practice, so any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

#3 ·
CAUTION...Be sure to wear safety goggles and gloves!!!

Before adding any refrigerant, you stated that you heard the A/C compressor engage.
Start the car, turn on the A/C and physically look, is the compressor engaged?
Yes? No? Cycles Quickly? Cycles Normally?

Be sure all valves are closed on the manifold gauge set.
Shut the engine off, Connect the gauges, the Smaller Service Port is the High Side (Discharge), the Larger is the Low Side (Suction).
Both fittings are the same size on the gauge set hoses (1/4" NPT), you need a 1/4" - 3/16" adapter to connect the hose to the high side..

With the engine off what is the pressure reading on both the high and low side?
Start the car, turn the A/C on, if the compressor engaged what are the pressures reading?

#6 · (Edited)
I think I have never seen such cars with a working air conditioning system. Does anyone know where to find those cans? This is the main reason why the AC never works on such vehicles. The details to repair the stock air cooling system is practically impossible to find. You can make a consultation at an AC master at airconservicing.org and see what alternative air conditioning system is good for you, but it will cost a lot of money. A new air conditioning system costs a lot, and I don't even mention how much it will cost the mechanics' work.

#8 ·
I've had good luck with R134A conversions. The FWD Mopars handle it better than most other cars of that era. I'm guessing exceptional condenser capacity. Either way, I wouldn't hesitate to convert. The last can of R12 I bought was almost $50 and that was 15+ years ago.

#9 · (Edited)
This is a common problem that occurs quite often in these models. I'm sure your car will benefit from the excellent cleaning you can find at marvellous.sg. I always use their services when I need help with my air conditioner. These units often break down if not chemically cleaned as often as possible. This type of cleaning is the most effective and handles all of the problems that have come before as accurately as possible. I'm sure this advice can give you several benefits.

#10 ·
I had the A/C converted at a reputable shop on GLHS #0956.
I gave them a new set of Chrysler hoses as well as a new Chrysler receiver/dryer.
They provided the new compressor.
The original condenser was not replaced.
The A/C was never as cold as the original R12 system and the compressor failed after 1 season.
Now, that could have been the shops fault or the compressor only, but it left me apprehensive about doing the same retrofit to #0325.
I heard that the R134a Freon molecules are smaller than R12 and can leak through the older hoses (haven't confirmed that though).
I would probably replace all the components if I did the switch again, just to make sure.

#11 ·
Yes, theoretically when the system has been opened/exposed to outside air it is advised to replace the Drier/Accumulator and Orifice Tube (if equipped), however...
When I converted back about 15 years ago , all I did was recover the old refrigerant/retrofit the system/evacuate and refill the system with 30oz. of R134A. (38oz. R-12)
All A/C components are OE other than the compressor which was replaced back in 96 under the extended warranty.
Since then I only had to replace the Crush Gaskets where the hose assembly attaches to the compressor, had no other issues in that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.