Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

seeing as I’m a glutton for punishment. I recently purchased on ebay #271. I’m picking it up next weekend. In the photos the Shelby valve cover is not on the engine. The valve cover says Chrysler turbo. The PO says he bought the car and was told it was the original engine. When I go to pick the car up I just want to know where to look and what to look for. Does anyone have any info they could share? Or does anyone have any history knowledge of #271?

thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrads on your purchase , I have bought several cars that previous owners cracked the corners prying the valve covers off trying to replace gaskets . have seen several covers repaired . I recently purchased 87 GLHS # 0874 block, crank and trans. missing lots of parts , interior and body . slowly finding parts to complete, I am also curious how to tell if its # match drivetrain ? Anyone ?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi

seeing as I’m a glutton for punishment. I recently purchased on ebay #271. I’m picking it up next weekend. In the photos the Shelby valve cover is not on the engine. The valve cover says Chrysler turbo. The PO says he bought the car and was told it was the original engine. When I go to pick the car up I just want to know where to look and what to look for. Does anyone have any info they could share? Or does anyone have any history knowledge of #271?

thanks.
The engine serial # should be on the end of the block at Cyl#4 above the transaxle and between the head and block. Its probably painted over so look good. Part of it should match the vin# on the top left dash panel if its the original engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks Molarracer, is it that way on all Shelby chargers? I have an 86 I’m playing with too and I could verify that on this car to get familiar with it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
On the earlier cars, the last 6-8 digits of VIN were also stamped on a pad on the tranny on the a525's. Picture attached is a different style tranny, but pad at top center of photo is were you should find it. Just installed a powertrain in friends two owner 50K mile GLHS Omni this past Sunday, and his was clearly visible. This would apply to your SC too.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally picked up the GLHS last Saturday, and I believe it is all original. The owner had the Shelby Valve cover in a box with other items. I'll be working to clean this one up and drive it in the spring.
These cars are addicting.

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
casting date for block is on the bottom corner below the power steering pump

date of car build is on the door sticker

if date on motor is after date on door -- not o-e motor

I've seen reference to the vin number on the end of the block ..and seen numbers there .. that usually don't mean much it seems

a big bar code sticker at the pass side of the motor might indicate the motor is a factory dodge replacement motor (warranty engine or replacement)
- not meaning the bar code sticker on the valve cover

my replacement 2.5 had it on the front end of the block someplace

+1 the vin should match on the trans as said

vin is also stamped in mirror image into the rad cradle top .. in front of the battery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts