Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GLHS #859 is featured in 2010 issue of Mopar Milestones magazine. I don't know if the owner is part of this forum, but congratulations to Bill and Gwendolyn Brobst for having their car featured. Nice photo spread with a reasonably good article for readers who do not know what a Shelby GLHS is. And the Brobst's car is a very nice one!

I picked up a copy at Borders book store this evening. Not sure what other stores might have it.

Skyroof

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
I spoke to Barry Goodall; the head of SDAC, about the article right before SDAC 20. They found a copy of the magazine in a Sheetz store up in Maryland. The only place down here by my in Lakeland that has it is Books a Million.

I knew the photographer took a lot of pictures, but I had no idea that many would show up print! Needless to say I am very proud of how looked when it came out. The biggest item I saw wrong was that I was looking for an '87 car when I found my '87.... I was looking for an '86 GLHS. The other small point is the '91 Daytona that he had and I have now is... The Daytona is a Shelby Iroc Daytona. It is the second Iroc Daytona built, The first Iroc is a 2.5 turbo, automatic car. What makes my car a freak is that the Daytona has a metal tag under the hood proclaiming it an Iroc Daytona and the factory screwed up and built the Daytona with Shelby graphics only... which makes it the last Shelby Daytona Made.

I'm glad everyone so far likes it!

Bill ('87 GLHS 859)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Clean ride! At some point, scans of the articles would be great....for those that haven't seen it.

As far as Shelby Daytonas.... I believe Karin's factory 92 Chrysler Shelby would be a contender for one of the last Shelbys?? It's uncommon, most factory literature I have refers to them as simply "Irocs".

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks, I don't have a scanner but maybe sometime.

I think it's cool to see the Chrysler Daytonas. (don't see many down in the lower 48!) As far as the Daytona in the picture. Yes they made "Iroc Shelby" Daytonas in late '91 and early '92. "Midway through the '91 model year the contract with Shelby and Dodge ended and Dodge was heavy into sponsoring the IROC championship series." Iroc Daytona cars started production on Jan. 29th 1991.The Iroc Shelby option was the performane upgrade, high torque 2.5 turbo, 568 5-speed trans, heavy duty suspension and bigger brakes. What makes mine differnent is that is should say "Iroc" on the doors and "Daytona Shelby" under the right side tailamp, but mine was built with "Shelby" on the doors. The graphics on my daytona are silver and black on a white car and when they went to the Iroc package the graphics changed to red. I have all of the correct graphics the factory sent to the original owner and the letter that was received about the mistake that was made. A mistake none the less, but still it is the last one.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Congrats Bill!!!! You diffidently deserved it. I still remember first meeting you and Ray at my very first Mopar Show back in 1995 at New Orlando Dodge when you and Ray were picking apart my car LOL!!! Then you showed me your GLHS, which happened to be the very 1st 87 GLHS I ever saw in person. I guess this makes up for that one Garlits show episode. This is a beautiful car to see in person. FYI, I got my old Laser back. I have to do some work on it, but one day I may be competing against you in the future. Once again congrats!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts