Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my GLHS on a 150 mile drive and at 70mph the engine is turning about 2,800 rpms. I have not filled it back up to verify MPG, but because of the RPMs at 70mph it got me thinking about the window sticker MPGs. The window sticker for an 87 GLHS says 20 city and 29 hwy, but I assume that was at like 65 mph or what ever the national speed limit was back then, so 70 today will be a bit less MPGs.

Does anyone remember what speed they used for the MPGs on window stickers back in 87?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Testing was done in laboratories under controlled circumstances.

Ratings were for comparison between vehicles, not necessarily real world.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that they were rated based off lab results, but it would have been done at a given speed otherwise they could have tested them at idle and claimed hwy mileage. Just like the same engine combo could have had better MPG when the national speed limit was only 55.

I am guessing the lab turned them at what ever rpms 65 mph was.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I remember they were tested at varying speeds.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
"EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests"

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"EPA tests vehicles by running them through a series of driving routines, also called cycles or schedules, that specify vehicle speed for each point in time during the laboratory tests"

Thanks
Randy

And as your post stated, prior to 2007 only city and hwy were used.

Again my question is what did they consider why back in 87?

To me city requires the variable speed testing and why should be at a constant rate hence better fuel economy.

But maybe I am wrong.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts