Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents!

I have been absent from the forums for a while, but always lurking. Anyhow, I picked up a 1987 Jeep Comanche out for Virginia last October, and did a conversion from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. (Those that don't know jeeps, the front axle in a 4x2 is just a dummy straight axle, just swap the trans, axle and driveshafts plus add a T-case, and you're 4x4.

But, it's stock AMC 2.5, while insanely reliable, is very slow. I have a WAY overbuilt TD 2.5 from my minivan project, so my mind got turning.

So, I've decided to mate the two together! Below are some pictures of the Jeep, and over the next couple months, I'll keep it updated while the build is getting finished.

I'm going from a hybrid 2.5 back to a 8v top end for reliability and ease of setup. I will be running megasquirt because I already have a complete setup and tune from my van.

Basically, going to get a Dakota AX-15 bellhousing to mate my jeep AX-15 to the TD block. I already have a custom clutch on the way from SPEC which is basically a TD stage 3 clutch with a 10 spline center to mate with the jeep trans. I did not want to swap input shafts for the dodge 2.5 14 spline. Then turn the Dakota big flywheel to accept the jeep pilot bushing. Then bolt the engine in, weld up some motor mounts, re-weld the intake manifold, add the intercooler, supporting fuel and electronics, and tune! :eek:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again Gents,

It's been a while, but things are moving along! I just pulled the engine out of my van from the hybrid build I was doing. As i'm looking for ultimate reliability, with only about 250-300hp, I'm sticking with the 8 valve head and going back to a relatively stock setup.

Evo 9 intercooler fits perfect!

My Girlfriend came over to help with pulling the top end off the donor car...

I custom ordered a clutch from SPEC. Very helpful company! Basically their Stage 3 Turbo Dodge 9" disc and pressure plate, with Jeep/GM 10 Spline center section for my Jeep spec AX-15 trans.

I'm going to be making my own exhaust manifold, as the stock one would have the turbo backwards and pushing into the firewall. Easier for me to Tig up a manifold that deal with crazy plumbing and hacking up my Jeep.

It looks like Dakota mounts will be within an inch of stock locations on the Jeep "frame", so not a lot of cutting and welding necessary.:thumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
:thumb: Good looking Jeep , Was thinking of doing the same thing with a Cherokee Sport (Pre 92) , So no air bags . Need it to be an Auto though and does your girlfriend do any training sessions My significant other could use some (RE-TRAINING) on helping out . Since the jeep is supposed to be 4 her .

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Just noticed this thread. Why'd you have to go and take the last good Comanche out of Virginia? Do you know how hard it is to find those things? LoL.

Very cool project. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on it.

Which 4wd system did you put in? Command track is supposedly off-road only. Select-track would be good for a 4wd turbo monster. The 4L I6 makes a good bit of torque, so I'm sure the system can handle the turbo motor to a point. I'm curious what the actual torque limit of the system is. Off to the Jeep forums I go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts