Turbo Dodge Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Yes I used a straight edge on both of my old carbs, and they were warped. On the last reman carb that I had on, (the one giving me the issues I used a straight edge right now and towards the front of the air horn im able to get a .010 feller gauge in. Towards the back Im able to get a .007 gauge in. This is after I took John's advice and used a peice of glass to sand the air horn, It helped as it was alot worse before. When the air horn was on the rest of the carb with a gasket if you stick a flash light in the secondary you could see light where it should be sealing. Not so much on the Primary. I tested this on the new carb I put on and it seems to have a slight gap on the secondary as well but functions fine.

I will check out those posts. I was also thinking of just using a 5220 as well since its a bolt on with no modification needed just wondered how much more it would help as far as power gain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The 5220 doesn't have the O2 feedback so I don't know how that would affect your CA emissions. CA required the 6520 on the Rampage back in the day but the rest of the states didn't as it was classified as a truck...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
So is you Rampage still running the 6520 or was yours running the 5220? I read up on that. Would the 5220 really make much of a difference over the 6520? The one I found on ebay is for an 86 and looks the same minus the feedback solenoid. Some have 2 plates on the top but most don't have the secondary throttle vac assembly. Just a thought I know the 6520 gets a bad rap, but is it really that bad?

Ive since bough a few parts 6520's on ebay meaning ill have 4 cores, I hope to be able to build one good one as a spare in case something like this ever happens again. I've been driving it lately with no more problems. Sucks that it missed the car show this year but what can you do but wait until next year. Even though it was a royal pain in the butt, for some reason it draws me back to it. lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Mine has the 5220 since it wasn't sold/registered in CA. Being a truck it didn't require the 6520.Yeah, the 5220 has 2 butterfly plates and may run a little better than the 6520. But the 6520 being bad? I really couldn't tell you.

Check with your CA emissions people. Maybe they'll let you use a 5220 but for an inspection they may require the 6520. Maybe you could swap carbs afterwards but with ne O2 feedback I don't know what the SCC might do.

Glad you got it running ok. That was the main thing of course. Now you can worry about things! LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I see, I was considering running the 5220 for 2 years and then swapping to the 6520 for smog. I was going to talk to my smog guy and see if they really look for that solenoid, if not I could run a non feedback ECU and tune down the 5220 to pass smog and fix it after.
Here is a link to the one I was looking at, would this be the correct one to get?
Reman Holley 5220 2-Barrel Carburetor 40234 1986 Dodge Plymouth Chrysler 2.2L | eBay

Me too, now I can focus on my '72 Valiant :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Only in the winter? When I was younger I had a '56 Chevy pick up and then a '67 Triumph without AC. Of course those vehicles had the side vent window that would channel air in. Then had a '79 Dodge Magnum with AC. I was in First Class then! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I will drive it from time to time to keep things moving but not daily, 110+ outside is a little much haha. I asked my dad if he was going to put AC in his 70 Cuda we are restoring and he said I don't need no stinking ac, just roll the windows down. I guess it helps as long as you keep moving!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
This is true, this is the reason there will be no AC in my Valiant, Slant six only puts out 100 HP no need to lower it when the windows roll down :cool:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts