Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed in a new head, turbo, vacuum lines, lifters, etc.

The car has a FWD Motion stage-II computer which as I recall is set to 15PSI.

If I disconnect the waste gate vacuum line I can easily get 20PSI.

It seems like the waste gate controller isn't working properly, any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,
PYCSXVNT12

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
5 psi sounds about right for a standard wastegate non-computer control, mine is approx 4.
This is what you get with a direct connection from the manifold to the wastegate, for example
For the higher boost spike (7-9psi for 5 seconds or so) there is a special restrictor in line that causes the wastegate to activate slowly. With that said, I would recommend you double check the wastegate solenoid for correct function. In my case, it never improved thus I switched to a MBC boostcontrol
It worked OK but I am very pleased after I switched to the EBC
HDI Dual Electronic Boost Boost Controller EBC-SE it is easy to install and works great for the last year or so. I also bought one for my CSX

·
Registered
65 Posts
My vote is on the wastegate solenoid being the culprit. Mine was similar, and I have been using a Grainger-type setup for a while now. Certainly a lot cheaper than the electronic alternative. So far, so good! Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an engine that came in a box... I have the Emission sticker from my other 1987 Shelby Lancer and carefully followed the routing diagram, but I could have mixed something up. I have the Snap-On Diagnostic computer for this car, but it does not have a readout for "intended boost" like my 1989 CSX-VNT does.

I think I have spares for each of the electronic controllers, but there is no codes in the diagnostic computer to indicate one of them has failed.

Best Regards, PYCSXVNT12

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My vote is for wastegate pneumatics hooked up incorrectly. One of the pictured diagrams posted on this site even shows a picture of how NOT to hook up your wastegate circuit (it is incorrect), but it still remains on the site.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My vote is for wastegate pneumatics hooked up incorrectly. One of the pictured diagrams posted on this site even shows a picture of how NOT to hook up your wastegate circuit (it is incorrect), but it still remains on the site.
This is the diagram I was following....

I presume if the barometer solenoid leaked you could have the same problem?
-- As noted, if I plug the wastegate vacuum line I get 20 PSI...

Best Regards,
CSXVNT12

Shelby262_Emission Sticker_182031_Bright_Cropped.jpg

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
I assume we are still working on the original problem from 4 months ago?

If you can attain 20 lbs of boost with the wastegate line disconnected and plugged your issue is one of two things...
1)Wastegate is opening to soon
You can test that with a handheld vacuum/pressure pump.
2)Boost is being trapped in the line to the wastegate because the solenoid is not bleeding it off or the lines are not routed correctly.
You can test this by teeing a vacuum/pressure gauge inline with the wastegate and go for a ride.
You should see pressure rise as boost increases and drop to 0 when you decel.

Your vehicle uses a Dual Vacuum Solenoid for Baro and Wastegate.
The Wastegate Solenoid is not plumbed like the Baro Solenoid.
On the Wastegate Solenoid the routing should be...
Top Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Source
Side Barb - Wastegate Control, Out To Wastegate
Bottom Barb - Vent, Remains Open.

On the Baro Solenoid the routing should be...
Top Barb - Vent, Remains Open
Side Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Out to the Map Sensor
Bottom Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Source.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NAJ,
You are correct, I have the vacuum lines on the boost solenoid incorrect! This is from a car I sold, these look correct according to your instructions. I'll re-plump mine as per the instructions. ( Heh, it came in boxes so had to figure out all the vacuum lines from the emission sticker...which didn't really help)

Many thanks!
CSXVNT12

1987 Shelby Lancer Engine Boost Controller.JPG
1987 Shelby Lancer Purge & Boost Solenoid close-up.JPG

I assume we are still working on the original problem from 4 months ago?

If you can attain 20 lbs of boost with the wastegate line disconnected and plugged your issue is one of two things...
1)Wastegate is opening to soon
You can test that with a handheld vacuum/pressure pump.
2)Boost is being trapped in the line to the wastegate because the solenoid is not bleeding it off or the lines are not routed correctly.
You can test this by teeing a vacuum/pressure gauge inline with the wastegate and go for a ride.
You should see pressure rise as boost increases and drop to 0 when you decel.

Your vehicle uses a Dual Vacuum Solenoid for Baro and Wastegate.
The Wastegate Solenoid is not plumbed like the Baro Solenoid.
On the Wastegate Solenoid the routing should be...
Top Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Source
Side Barb - Wastegate Control, Out To Wastegate
Bottom Barb - Vent, Remains Open.

On the Baro Solenoid the routing should be...
Top Barb - Vent, Remains Open
Side Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Out to the Map Sensor
Bottom Barb - Vacuum/Pressure Source.

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
Engine bay looks very nice and clean.
Thanks has to go to "4 L-bodies" who pointed out the incorrect routing shown in the illustration in the Sticky in Engine Management.
Either way, glad to here the issue may be resolved with a simple rerouting of the vacuum lines, keep us posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to NAJ and 4-LBodies, that solved the boost issue! Feels good to get that behind me.
It starts to miss around 5000 RPM and you have to back-off and step back into it to get full boost so I'll look into that, but its so much better!

Best Regards, CSXVNT12

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Working on the mis-fire. I have several computers from Cindy, but none of them seem were for this car. As you can see, the A/F ratio is crazy rich when the boost comes on. I've attached one of the graphs from my LM2. Idle is okay, but when you hit the throttle the A/F ratio drops to 8.5 and the car starts to miss, I presume it just can't burn the fuel. Steady state at 3900 RPM is too lean, 16:1, but then I stepped on it again and you can see it drop to 9.5 and again it starts to miss.

I already talked to Cindy about a new build, this is just crazy bad for this car.

Thanks again for all the help!

Best Regards, CSXVNT2

YanniT2215mla-ECU-Build.JPG

·
Mr. Moderator
8,904 Posts
Udjustable fuel pressure regulator? oversized injectors? it maybe your base pressure is off based on where the cal is set possibly?Can you monitor fuel pressure and see if you are getting a ridiculous spike?

·
Administrator
24,586 Posts
When the problem occurs...
1)How many lbs of boost?
2) Fuel Pressure?
3) Map Voltage?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts