Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm a newbie to cars and car rebuilding, so please bear with me.

Question one:

I'm working on fixing up an '88 Shelby Z Daytona in tandem with an older mechanic friend, and we're at a bit of an impasse. The headlamp module is blown and we're trying to replace it, but different people are feeding us different information. An internet source has two headlight modules (one with time delay, one without) for sale, and says they'll fit '87-89 daytonas and lebarons. On the other hand, my mechanic friend has a friend who worked for Chrysler in the 80s, and this friend says that the headlight module for '88 Shelby Zs is its own unique thing and isn't compatible with other daytona models.

Trying to get some clarity on this situation.

Question two:

My mechanic says we could also skip the headlight module and wire the light on/off and headlight up/down functions to toggle switches retrofitted into the dashboard. Would this be preferable to finding a working headlamp module, given how rare they are and how prone they are to breaking?

Thanks in advance~~

(edit: i'm new around here, so if this is in the wrong subforum let me know. thanks!)

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

According to the Chrysler Parts Catalog there are two different Headlamp Relay Modules for an 88 Daytona.
MOPAR PART NUMBERS
With Time Delay - 4437108
W/O Time Delay - 4437107

My suggestion would be to remove yours and see if there is a part # on it.
The module is located at the top center of the dash where a dash speaker would be located.
Both are available through a member of this site, he has multiple of both #'s.

As far as replacement or toggle switches, I prefer the original parts when available to keep the car/circuit/system as it was intended.
If you want numerous toggle switches in your car that is a personal choice.
I do not know how he will do that considering the module holds multiple relays that all require two separate power feeds and a ground side control.
Also, you cannot use a toggle to control power, only ground, if you attempt to control power you will burn out the toggles in short order.
Also, headlamp motor control is only powered on for 2-3 seconds for the motors to move so you would need a "momentary switch" not a toggle.

If you have anymore questions/concerns/need info, Please feel free to ask.

·
Administrator
3,982 Posts
The headlight modules are interchangeable 87-89 for sure, I've done it. 90-up is different mounting wise, but I have a hunch they may be interchangable but i've yet to confirm this.

Time delay or non-time delay are interchangeable, the time delay is a cool feature that leaves the headlights on for 60 seconds after shutdown, but is only limited to the module.

These modules can also be repaired with some patience and a soldering iron. Most of the time, the solder joints to the main relays inside the unit fail (cold solder joints), and can be renewed by re-flowing the solder joints. I will search for the repair guide link, and post it up in a few.

I wouldn't advise attempting to manually operate the headlights with switches, there is more to the system than meets the eye, it is a timed circuit for precise motor rotation. If you hotwired it to a stay on (ON-OFF) switch, or momentary switch, when the motor goes too far open it's going to break the plastic arm that goes from the motor cam to the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input and for all of the clarity! My mechanic was aware of the details you both mentioned about the switch(es) and it would have been more complicated than I let on to, I think. From what I understand it would be a switch pull the lights up and another to turn them on. I just didn't relay the information correctly --- I don't think I understood the full details when he conveyed them to me. Honestly, I still don't. (I loved Daytonas growing up and so i'm finally getting one and restoring it; it's my first real foray into understanding cars at all.)

That said --- I think I want to go with an original part. I'll know the product number on monday (the car is elevated right now and he's not lowering it until monday) so I'll place the order then. Is the link above (the one with 10 in stock) the vendor who is a member at this site?

edit: i'll let him know that they're repairable when I speak to him on monday, that might also be a good option going forward. thanks!

·
Administrator
3,982 Posts
That said --- I think I want to go with an original part. I'll know the product number on monday (the car is elevated right now and he's not lowering it until monday) so I'll place the order then. Is the link above (the one with 10 in stock) the vendor who is a member at this site?
I could not find who was offering 10 in stock in that thread, but it was most likely Marty Mopar. Keep in mind that thread is almost a decade old. Marty is still active on the forum, his profile link is: Marty Mopar

Marty runs Arizona Parts link: Arizonaparts.com , contact info on his site, prices are on the high side, but your not going to find NOS parts for these cars on demand anywhere else

1 - 7 of 7 Posts