Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Category: Domestic

I have a 1988 Dodge Daytona CS for sale, in USA - Kansas.

Mileage: 100,000 miles
Engine Size: 2.2

Asking price is $700 SOLD

1988 Dodge Daytona CS turbo I, the non-intercooler lighter version of the Shelby Z. MOTOR HAS ROD KNOCK BUT RUNS. The body and underneath is rust free. There is a dent on the lower portion of the drivers door from a lawnmower and some surface rust on the top of the passenger front fender. The paint is faded and all the clear coat is gone. Underneath I could only find 1x dime sized rust spot above the muffler hanger bracket. As you can see from the photos the emergency brake hole is rust free and that is a common place these cars rust. Excellent car for restoration. The motor runs but has a severe knock. The transmission shifts firm and doesn't slip.

I added more pictures

Car is located in Leavenworth, KS

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I may have a someone interested in this.
Are you sure it's a 2.2? I though it was a 2.5 after the 1987 model year ( I maybe wrong ) Is it an auto or manual trans?
Interior is the performance seats or the standard seats?
Rear wash/wipe -- Rear defrost ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DodgeG24Man,

Thanks for the note.

I was assuming it was a 2.2, but it could be a 2.5. I do know it's the turbo I w/o an intercooler.

It is an auto. From what little I've driven it to move it around it shifts firmly so I'm pretty sure the trans is good.

Interior has the standard seats and is in good shape. I do have an 88 Shelby Z (1st RWD conversion) that I'm stripping so I could work something out with you on the seats (88 has gray leather enthusiasts seats)

no rear wiper or defrost

Tom

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
89 was the first year for 2.5 T1. 88 was the only year for the 2.2 T1 without the log intake.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: below are some questions I was recently asked.

1) The 100.000 miles is it original or has the odometer been replaced?

- as far as I know the mileage is correct and the car is untouched

2) What is the condition of the interior, ( I do not wish to have the vehicle altered from it's original configuration )

- interior is decent, sun faded but I'd give it a 8/10 for a 30+ year old car

3) Rod knock, What caused this to happen? 2.2's are near bulletproof,I have several that has this engine had never had a problem with them and with higher mileage on one of them.

- previous owner ran it out of oil.

4) Vehicle has a clean "n" clear title no blemish's on it?

- yes the title is clean, I've never registered it so I still have the title that was signed over to me

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
UPDATE: below are some questions I was recently asked.

1) The 100.000 miles is it original or has the odometer been replaced?

- as far as I know the mileage is correct and the car is untouched

2) What is the condition of the interior, ( I do not wish to have the vehicle altered from it's original configuration )

- interior is decent, sun faded but I'd give it a 8/10 for a 30+ year old car

3) Rod knock, What caused this to happen? 2.2's are near bulletproof,I have several that has this engine had never had a problem with them and with higher mileage on one of them.

- previous owner ran it out of oil.

4) Vehicle has a clean "n" clear title no blemish's on it?

- yes the title is clean, I've never registered it so I still have the title that was signed over to me

After reviewing the overall body condition and the mechanical condition, realizing that the vehicle wasn't maintained properly by the previous owner resulting in engine damage due to low oil levels thus it is possible the turbo is also going to need replacement as well as the engine.With factoring in the shipping and the importation with taxes and the cost's of a complete drivetrain replacement or repair. The person that I was trying to get into buying the vehicle stated the cost's were to high to be viable. And it would be money better spent to buy one that is in better condition.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully you'll find the right person that will invest into this vehicle as you don't see that many that still have a vertually rust free body.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Wow! Without seeing these pics I would've never guessed this car has the passive restraint system, I wouldn't be able to register it where I am.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmmmm........... I have a spare motor sitting here and you only live a few hours away. Thinking about it. Kansas title correct?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tmef,

I bought it from a PA owner. The PA title is clean and ready to register the vehicle.

Give me a call if you want to see the car. I've been buying and building these cars since 1987 (yes I'm well into my 40s) and this car is in excellent condition. I have the battery on a trickle charger so we can start it if you want so you can hear the knock.

I originally planned to V8 and rear wheel drive this car (Check RWD section of turbododge and you can see my latest V8 conversion it's a white 1990 Daytona, the white car in the background of the "nose on picture," it has a 5.7 Hemi, T56 6-speed, and Dana 44 rear), but I hate to alter a Shelby vehicle so I've already found and started working on a blue 1992 IROC (not RT) for my third conversion (also in background of same picture).

I'm happy to see there has been a lot of "discussion" about this car, in my opinion if you're looking for a nice Daytona, $700 for this car is a no brainer. If I didn't have 4x Daytonas already I would just fix the car and keep it as is.

Tom
937-232-7611

1 - 14 of 14 Posts