Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1989 Lebaron GTC T-2 convert. and I have the entire motor torn down. I lost some rod bearings. I had the crank cut .010 / .010 The block has no ware. I can still see the hatch marks in the Cyl bores. I got re man rods and thought I would stay with the origional pistons as they look very nice. What should I do to get some more out of thew motor? Is there a better cam etc.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check the end gap on the rings, that wil tell you IF you really can get by without replacing rings/pistons. If the bores are pretty 'strait' maybe you can borrow a ball hone and just throw a set of rings/bearings at it.

lets see, how many of the 100+ ways to 'get more' out of the motor do you want to try? Look at the FAQ or lurk around here a bit...

Alan

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would also remove the snap rings and remove pistons then take a look at the rod bushings. These can make a lot of noise when wore out and they are cheap to buy. You might have a shop take a look at them and see what they say. If you don't you might hear a knocking noise and it would be the wrist pin. :rolleyes:
While at it maybe get them reconditioned? :rolleyes:
I know it only cost more,but I would look at those bushings non the less.:thumb:

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 89 Spirit ES, 96 Jeep XJ
5,935 Posts
+1. I rebuilt a junkyard 2.5 engine and did not check the wrist pins. Sure enough, they rattle a bit.

Check the "sticky" FAQs and read everything over at Donovan's Dodge Garage

We could recite things to do/try all day long, but there are a lot of directions you can take your setup and it's best if you read all the basics first. Then you can come back and ask for specific opinions on things.

You have a semi-rare car BTW. Keep it in good shape. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts