Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new guy around here. The reason I have arrived is because a few months ago the rubber connector where the PCV valve goes fell apart .I could not get the correct part so I made a connector with hose and vacuum connectors. I was under the impresssion it was working, but since I have installed it I blew out the camshaft seals and the crankshaft seal each time the seal was old and cracked but it was blowen out. Well anyway I seemed to be leaking oil all over. I have read some stuff on the forum and have figured I have screwed up. The most recent leak comes from the oil pan gasket that has actually squeezed itself out. I have taken my hose connections off and I have attached the PCV valve directly to the vacuum source in an attempt to stop the bleeding. I took a compression test and 3 cylinders are at 150 or close and one cylinder is at 110 . I did squirt some oil in and did not get a very big diffrence in compression,so I am assuming its either a bad cam or a burnt valve. I plan on putting air into the cylinder and seeing where it leaks out. I took a small piece of paper and placed it over the oil fill hole and it lightly flutters .I guess the question is if the cam is bad and the valves are not opening enough to let out gases will it increase blow by and the direct hook up to the PCV valve is it ok I seem to have taken the air box out of the system. long winded but in the AM I will put on a new pan gasket.

·
Administrator
25,544 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Excessive crankcase pressure will come from a non-funtioning PCV/Breather system or worn rings.
You stated the airbox has been removed, how is the PCV system getting its fresh air?
The PCV grommet is still available from Mopar.

Mopar Part # 4387568

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I have something wrong , I have taken the vacuum line and have directly into the PCV valve . The hose for the air box is just loose. The funny thing is only one cylinder is low and I think its a bad valve. I have no fresh air source at this time just vacuum line to valve.

·
Administrator
25,544 Posts
When the PCV grommet is attached to the valve cover the PCV is plugged into one port and the other port is for the breather that runs to the airbox for fresh air intake into the PCV System.
If the PCV is not attached to the grommet/valve cover it is only drawing in fresh air and the crankcase vapors are not being drawn through and recirculated.
The vacuum system on our cars is central so this will not affect 1 cylinder.
If you have an issue and have narrowed the problem to not enough power output from cylinder #1 you need to determine if the issue is related to ignition, fuel or engine mechanical.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
NAJ correct me if I'm wrong but having the PCV going to the air box also generates vacuum to th3e PCV valve?

Dennis

·
Administrator
25,544 Posts
The PCV is conected to engine vacuum at the manifold but without a fresh air source entering all crankcase contaminates/combustion byproducts will not be completely flushed and recirculated/reburnt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts