Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 daytona that was originally a 2.2 turbo II 5-speed. The engine had a rod knocking and other various issues so I decided to swap a good 2.5 turbo 1 engine from a 1989 plymouth sundance into the daytona while still using the intercooler originally in the car. the sundance originally had an automatic but now its hooked up to a 5 speed could there be any problem there? I assumed that everything would be plug and play and it has been until today I fired up the engine and I put it into timing and it idles in between 1500-2000 rpm (my tach doesnt work). it will not come down at all even after warming up. I tried retarding it and it runs but it has a miss. I replaced all the vacuum lines and hooked up all the lines correctly according to the diagram.the plymouth sundance ran fantastic so I dont believe its any sensor/relay. I even adjusted the idle screw on the throttle body and the idle went down a smidge but barely anything at all.I have no idea what to do. I need a daily driver and I guess I could just leave it retarded but if any of you know why it could be doing this I appreciate any info.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I replaced all the vacuum lines including the plastic ones and do you mean the line thats going to the boost gauge? because thats hooked up as well. thanks :)

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
did you put the 2.5 computer in the car? Need the 2.5 computer. They are different and it wont run the 2.5 right on the computer. It will lean the motor out
Q

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep I got the 2.5 computer hooked up and yes I have the brake booster lines all hooked up correctly. I still have no idea

·
Registered
633 Posts
One of my first projects on my first daytona was to convert from an auto to a stick, I left the SMEC from the auto and it never ran right. Idles where it wants to, like 1500 rpm or so, and gets very poor gas mileage. I suspected the SMEC was the culprit, but always knew I wanted to upgrade to the T-2 so I never bothered finding the stick SMEC for it. I'm getting like 13 mpg, how's yours? Right now it's the original 2.5 na engine with a tranny from a 90 daytona (2.2 T-2 almost done for swap)

·
Registered
90 Daytona Shelby, 96 Jeep XJ, '13 300C
5,938 Posts
All 2.2 and 2.5 engines are 12 degrees BTDC stock timing.

Are you getting any codes? What's your vacuum reading at idle?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the computer thats in the daytona right now is the one for the automatic in the sundance....crap...that sucks lol the boost gauge is reading 1 line before the middle on the pull side. stock gauge

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well alright I want to buy a new computer now but I cant find one for my 2.5 on fwd performance.com and what stage should I have for a daily driver but I also want some oomf to beat the ricers around here. I cant believe that the computer from an automatic wont work on my 5 speed daytona. that sucks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you have an smec for a 2.5? the reason why it's running at 1500 rpm idle is because its a computer off of an automatic car and the daytona is a 5 speed. I hope I can find a computer because i dont have the $200+ to buy a new one.

·
Administrator
16,494 Posts
whats wrong with your stock daytona computer?? it will run the car just not give enough fuel.. and i will look to see if i have a manual 2.5 comp. i know i have a stock 89 t2 2.2 comp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts