Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a red 1989 Daytona C/S, 2.5 ltr. W/snowflake wheels (silver). black C/S badges on the fenders behind front wheels and a TURBO badge in gold on the hood bulge. I can't seem to find any info other then a few pictures and a brief reference to AGB,AGS for that year. Most of the pic's I have seen don't show the snowflake wheels, hood bulge, turbo badge on the hood bulge or the C/S badges I am going to restore it and would like any info regarding the particulars of this model/edition. IE prod # ect. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.:frown2: JAC

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Unfortunately there were never any Daytona's modified by Shelby Enterprises, they only carried the Shelby name but are all factory cars.
Only the L-Body Charger/Omni and Shadow were Shelby modified/numbered cars.

The C/S on the Daytona stands for "Competition Sport", not Carroll Shelby.
This is from the 1990 Daytona Sales Brochure.

90 Daytona Sales Brochure 7 CS.jpg

90 Daytona Sales Brochure 8 CS.jpg

Take a look at my car for instance...
1990 Dodge Daytona "Shelby" Intercooled VNT with "C/S" stamped on the wheel center caps...
All Chrysler.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I'd argue the "C/S" meaning. I do believe it is "Carroll Shelby", not "Competition Sport"! The CS package was first used on the '86 Daytona TurboZ, as a handling package that was "inspired by Carroll Shelby" per the early magazine articles. Motor week video review also refers to it as being an acronym for Carroll Shelby. (YouTube MotorWeek Daytona)

And no, these were not modified by Shelby's merry men in California, there are not real numbered Shelby vehicles. Carroll was very involved with the Gbody development though. His Daytona Superlite concept was essentially the preproduction concept for the "CS" package Daytona's. Light weight, all the performance hardware, none of the frills. The Superlite was a TurboZ, with no sound deadening or backseat, no power options, the then prototype Turbo2 engine, all the CS suspension parts, prototype rear discs, and 16"wheels. It even had a rollbar installed.

Get on shelby-dodge.com and do some reading. They have lots of magazine articles and brochures to read!

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
89 CS should be the lightweight version of the daytona shelby or daytona turbo with no arep package on them

I think it came in a couple of versions , turbo or turbo intercooled

there's a fellow near me with a red one he bought new
and CS does indeed stand for carroll shelby . in the car is optioned with the CS suspension , wheel/tire package - THE CS option

there should be a couple of threads here on site about those cars with build numbers and lots of little info too

·
Super Moderator
11,699 Posts
lol
actually that sales brochure might have a secondary explanation
by 90-91 shelby and dodge were having issues and dodge probably was already planing to let their deal with him end
thus his reference gets eliminated in the new sales promotions

note also the "CS" logo is actually shelby registered trademark all the way back to the '60's
- with the checkered flag and letters representing two lanes of a racetrack
THAT VERY DEFINITELY says "SHELBY"

·
Registered
491 Posts
Since your Daytona C/S has the snowflake wheels on it, it's and AGB car, or C/S Performance Package. 2236 were built with the AGB package in 1989. It should be a standard 2.5 Turbo I in the car. The AGS cars in 1989 are C/S Competition Package cars, with the Crab wheels and the Intercooled 2.2 Turbo II. When I was 16 my neighbor had a red 1989 Daytona C/S AGB car and there was another one a couple of subdivisions away. One owner was in his 50's and the other guy was in his 60's. Both bought their cars new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts