Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car isn't being driven daily, but driving it sure is a lot of fun!

Here we go again...The car I rebuilt mechanically is under attack...by Mickey mouse and friends! Once again I tore the blower box apart, and found evidence of critters.

While I have the blower box apart, I want to absolutely clean out everything I can. I've cleaned the A/C side of the area with a good foaming cleaner. The vacuum operated lower door for floor air movement is working fine now.

However, the dash control for heat vs. cold (cable) is very stiff and harder to move than it should be. Is there a common problem over the years with that control?

Reading through the Haynes manual isn't much help but I think I may need to open the heat/cold blend door area and make sure it's also cleaned out properly.

So the question is, does anyone have any advice on access to the heat exchanger side of the box for a cleanup/out procedure? I'd like it spotless just like the passenger side now is.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Is the heater box out of the vehicle?

Disconnect the cable from the HVAC control and from the heater box,
1)Does the temp control lever move freely on the control unit without the cable attached?
2)Can you freely move the blend door by hand without the cable attached?
a)If No, then you will need to disassemble the heater box and clean out any debris that may be impeding the movement of the blend door.
3)Does the cable move freely?

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NAJ, I'll have the rest of the box apart tomorrow along with the heater cable/controls. I'll detach the cable from the door first as you mentioned and check if the door moves freely...guess I'll have to learn to limbo down to get into the box if that door isn't free. Currently the cable moves but it's more firm than it should be. Hoping it's only the cable at this point. Currently working on wifes 07 Daytona to fix blend doors there also and one other issue today. Thanks for replying!!

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Chances are that if critters are making a nest in the heater box they have also nested in the blend door area.
If you need pics of the heater box or any other info let me know.

If I may make a suggestion...
If you plan on keeping this car for awhile I would suggest investing in the Chrysler Factory Service Manuals.
These are the least expensive I found on eBay.

Here are three in better shape for a little more money.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure yet on keeping this one though I'd like to. We just made an offer on another home and are scraping up all the cash we can currently. That's always a bad time to sell anything, so hoping to keep it and enjoy it. Thanks for the links!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey NAJ, is there an easy way to pull the front lower duct work out of the way to get access for cleaning assuming the cable and door are not the issue? (and the issue is mouse debris in that area)

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Good Luck On Getting Your New Home!!!

All of the info I have is from the 90 FSM but it appears to be the same heater box as an 89.
From what I see it appears you can gain access by removing the blower motor.

You can see an exploded view of the heater box in the Chrysler Parts Catalog.
1989 Catalog, Group 24 Heater and Air Conditioning, Page 1377, Figure 24-400

HVAC-AG-AJ Evaporator And Heater Core Removal 1.jpg HVAC-AG-AJ Evaporator And Heater Core Removal 2.jpg HVAC-AG-AJ Evaporator And Heater Core Removal 3.jpg HVAC-Blower Motor Remove And Install.jpg HVAC-Temp Control Cable.jpg

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks NAJ, I got the passenger side all buttoned up, and am going after the drivers side and actuator on that side for bi-level/panel/defrost etc. Man it's a lot to take apart to get her all cleaned up in there. I'll be finishing up pulling the console for the shifter so I can remove the forward console tomorrow if the weather holds. Seems the cable for hot/cold/recirc is just fine, but the recirc etc (push buttons) are not able to actuate the door, so will pursure while it's apart. Thank you for the fiche! You're the best. (Took me this long to get back to it due to a minor doctor thing...don't get old lol).

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Glad to hear you are making progress.
If none of the modes are working be sure you are are getting vacuum to the control unit from your underhood vacuum source.
Inspect all of the vacuum lines coming from the control unit for damage and be sure you are getting vacuum to the appropriate vacuum actuators.

HVAC 88-89 Ex.L-Body.jpg

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ripped out the console and vent work from under it today, and cleaned up a ton of acorn shells that somehow got in there. Can't imagine it's mice but they must be like Mighty Mouse. Good news and bad news, good news is the floors under everything are still rust free after all these years of being in the south, bad news is the mice (or maybe squirrels) nipped off the two 1/8" vacuum lines exactly at the firewall. The rest of the controls and actuators and lines inside the car look fine. Will be replumbing new 1/8" lines tomorrow if the weather holds. I also found a 1985 issue $100 dollar bill underneath the side carpet for the console all folded up. Cha-CHING. Locally I was only able to find a single 1/8" line of 3' length so may have to order more to do this nice and clean if I can find a source for some that can handle the under hood heat. When you mentioned vacuum lines I was thinking that would be the last thing wrong...so I eat my unspoken words and say THANK YOU NAJ! I'm still glad I cleaned all the under dash stuff up. Amazing all the junk that was hanging around from over the years.

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Glad to hear about the $100.00 and the floors being rust free.

I just repaired a broken vacuum line on my car, the plastic line from the heater control valve broke (actually disintegrated) underhood, just spliced in 7/64" rubber vacuum hose I picked up at Autozone (sold by the foot, probably cheaper online) and ran it into the car, could not get the hose in where the OE was run so I ran it through the grommet where the clutch cable comes through the firewall.

Back when I was a tech at Jeep they used to park cars on the grass up by the highway, squirrels would get underhood in the fall and eat the wiring (they used it to make nests I assume) on brand new vehicles which I had to fix, no, squirrels are not covered under warranty.
After it happened on two vehicles they stopped putting cars out there.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The trick to getting the two vacuum lines through on the drivers side was simple if you're a tiny handed double jointed 3ft tall person. Had to get at one stupidly long bolt/screw that holds the plastic grommet that the lines pass through. Then since they are also glued once they're pushed through the two holes in the grommet/insert, just started a drill very slightly and that removed the glue from the snipped off lines (squirrels got them cleanly lol). then popped the old lines out, slid the new lines through etc etc. It was not fun for an old guy!

Got her all sorted out, had to replumb the two vacuum lines that go through the firewall, and of course a generous amount of time to clean out the entire under-dash/blower venting etc. I've added some squirrel proofing under the hood, and plan on getting out the .22 and making some squirrel stew soon I think too. I like squirrels, but not that much! The cost of removing the huge amount of oak trees in my acreage far outweighs the other options...and besides I like my trees!

Thanks again NAJ, you're the best. Next to replace the two front door speakers and get the window tracks and inner door mechanisms lubed properly since it's overdue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts