Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Aries 2.2 tbi auto lockup 14in wheels.Sedan.
Does anyone know the swaybar diameter and if the rack is a TRW or Saginaw? I can't tell the racks apart and don't have a caliper to measure the bar and I need the correct info before I order parts.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
use a piece of string to measure the bar diameter:

wrap it around bar once,
use sharpie to make mark on string where it meets/overlaps,
remove string and measure distance,
divide that distance (the circumference of the bar) by pi (3.14) to get the bar diameter

remember
circumference = 2 * radius * pi = diameter * pi

do it couple times to make sure ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
All 1989s with power steering have TRW racks. Your Mopar part number is 4470373.

1989 K-cars only used one sway bar, which I think is slightly less than one inch in diameter. In any case, your bushings are 4322017 (inner) and 4443426 (outer):

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All 1989s with power steering have TRW racks. Your Mopar part number is 4470373.

1989 K-cars only used one sway bar, which I think is slightly less than one inch in diameter. In any case, your bushings are 4322017 (inner) and 4443426 (outer):

View attachment 271295
Do you know what sway bar bushings a 1988 Chrysler Town and Country Turbo wagon takes? There's a ton of options and the ground is frozen making it hard to attempt to measure it. I can post the VIN if that helps....

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I use an open end wrench to check stabilizer bar diameter.

Thanks
Randy

Reactions: GLHS0815

·
Registered
173 Posts
While I always measure as the parts book isn't always 100% accurate...

For your car there are only two choices - standard or H.D./Firm-feel (sales code SBB). For standard suspension, they are the same part numbers as above (4322017 & 4443426). If you have the H.D./Firm-feel option, the inner bushings are 4052613 and the outers are the same.

The difference is pretty slight, but using the Moog cross-references you'll see the differences. Here is K7138 (standard):

And here's K7139 (H.D.)

The standard duty piece is 0.02" (0.51mm) smaller in ID, but a little thinner and a little "taller." The H.D. part is slightly wider and shorter.

For the minuscule difference I'd personally gamble on the standard-duty setup and press on.

~Tim

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

For your car there are only two choices - standard or H.D./Firm-feel (sales code SBB). For standard suspension, they are the same part numbers as above (4322017 & 4443426). If you have the H.D./Firm-feel option, the inner bushings are 4052613 and the outers are the same.

The difference is pretty slight, but using the Moog cross-references you'll see the differences. Here is K7138 (standard):
View attachment 273746

And here's K7139 (H.D.)
View attachment 273747

The standard duty piece is 0.02" (0.51mm) smaller in ID, but a little thinner and a little "taller." The H.D. part is slightly wider and shorter.

For the minuscule difference I'd personally gamble on the standard-duty setup and press on.

~Tim
It has automatic air suspension so I'm assuming it has the fancy HD suspension

·
Registered
173 Posts
Probably right on that; however, if I had to choose I would go a bit snugger (and it's a tiny bit) in lieu of looser...although looking at the measurements the differences are likely negligible. Either will likely be fine.

Except for Lebaron, Daytona, and Dynasty/New Yorker, the brackets are all the same and will accommodate either bushing.

If you're subject to rust, soak the bolts with penetrant beforehand and ease them out slowly. I've broken lots of them in the past and had several adventures getting the remnants out. They all eventually give up, but can be time-consuming.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

View attachment 273746

And here's K7139 (H.D.)
View attachment 273747

~Tim
Have another annoying parts question. The 88 Town and Country Turbo I just changed the driver cv axle and it was very hard to get the old one out (normally just unbolt strut) and the new one was real hard to get in had to remove caliper and tie rod then push hard against the internal spring then it went in. I was changing the trans mount at the same time (and the axle seal was a shit show) so I loosened the passenger mount put in the new trans mount put tire on and jumped on the car and the passenger mount was pushed over so I think the axle might be too long the one I got was this one.

I don't know how to cross reference that one with oem. My 89 aries needed the same side axle and it was a 15 minute thing but Advance says the axle is different but I thought the town and country was a K not a bigger frame?

This is the one i put in the 89 Aries sedan 2.2 tbi auto

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The first one says its for a Caravan. Part # AX-65259

The second one looks right for K cars. Part # NCV12539

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The first one says its for a Caravan. Part # AX-65259

The second one looks right for K cars. Part # NCV12539

Thanks
Randy
for some reason the first one says it fits the 88 Chrysler T&C but it seems too long. that's the one they sent and it's in the car now unless it's wrong then I'll bitch them out and swap it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Both the Aries and T&C, equipped with GKN or ACI axles, should take Mopar part number 4346883. While there is often a little variance between shafts - especially remanufactured - the compressed length should be between 25" and 25-5/16" (635 to 642.9375mm). The axle you list, per the Advance website, is 664mm in length. As Randy stated, that's for an S-body (van).

I'd get the right one & re-center the drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
The Town and Country nameplate mostly refers to the wood grain paneling.

Confusing to say the least, the listing you found was for a minivan.

You have to think K car when shopping for parts for yours.

Chrysler Sebrings can also be extremely confusing!!

The 2 dr, and 4 doors are totally different cars.

Even wheel bolt circles differ between them.

They had totally different 2.4 L Engines.

The convertible was 4 door based!

Thanks
Randy

for some reason the first one says it fits the 88 Chrysler T&C but it seems too long. that's the one they sent and it's in the car now unless it's wrong then I'll bitch them out and swap it...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both the Aries and T&C, equipped with GKN or ACI axles, should take Mopar part number 4346883. While there is often a little variance between shafts - especially remanufactured - the compressed length should be between 25" and 25-5/16" (635 to 642.9375mm). The axle you list, per the Advance website, is 664mm in length. As Randy stated, that's for an S-body (van).

I'd get the right one & re-center the drivetrain.
I'm going to call them and swap it out it's strange that the website said it was the correct one. The listing for the Aries axle was 589mm I think this one is 669mm. The one I put in does work but if you think it's wrong I'll swap it out......
image_2021-02-27_155302.png

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd swap it myself. While it fits both sides, your engine and transaxle are now nudged a bit toward the passenger side. Strange how the listing for the Aries axle seems so short. 589mm is a hair under 23-1/4 inches. I just measured my OE K-car axle (replaced last summer) and it's just a shade over 25" when I compress it as fully as I can.

You'll have to re-center the engine and trans, but that's a snap.

And I agree the longer shaft is for a minvan; however, the T&C van didn't debut until 1990. Their catalog is out of whack, so it seems.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd swap it myself. While it fits both sides, your engine and transaxle are now nudged a bit toward the passenger side. Strange how the listing for the Aries axle seems so short. 589mm is a hair under 23-1/4 inches. I just measured my OE K-car axle (replaced last summer) and it's just a shade over 25" when I compress it as fully as I can.

You'll have to re-center the engine and trans, but that's a snap.

And I agree the longer shaft is for a minvan; however, the T&C van didn't debut until 1990. Their catalog is out of whack, so it seems.
I called them they are refunding it and told me to keep it so if anyone wants it free local pickup. I'll have the new one in a few days. They got free shipping on orders over $35 and the discounts get it to $40 for a new one. I go back and forth from Advance and Rockauto but shipping on Rockauto sometimes gets out of hand....

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Rock auto has a great online catalog for comparing parts but shipping is high.

Sounds like Advance has you covered!!

Thanks
Randy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rock auto has a great online catalog for comparing parts but shipping is high.

Sounds like Advance has you covered!!

Thanks
Randy.
Just did store pickup and it was $40 brand new.
Also grabbed a sweet 89 Lebaron vert in the same town but sadly 2.5tbi it was only couple hundred drove it back. Steering rack is lifting off the frame,no dashlights,and a couple minor issues but might be a good candidate for a Turbo swap. Just gotta source a engine/harness or use it for parts....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts