Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Category: Domestic

I have a 1989 Other Horizon for sale, in USA - Michigan.

Mileage: 55,000 miles
Engine Size: 2.2

Asking price is $500 obo

Hello, I have a VERY VERY RUSTY 1989 Plymouth Horizon with a non-turbo 2.2, the car has a blown head gasket. The previous owner blew the head gasket in the winter and parked it. It has 55,000 original miles. It has a rusty frame and floors and body. The interior is in ok good condition, still some good parts. Has some new parts such as gas tank, heater core and some other parts. The front fenders are good and has good trim front bumper in great condition. Will part or whole for 500 obo

Thanks, Anthony

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
What is the switch for in the middle of the dash? Decent price for a car that could become a darn decent dailey driver for only a little bit of work.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first switch is a kill switch and the second one is a manual turn on for the fan, I must warn you the under-body is rusty but with a little work it could be back on the road. I took off the valve cover and head bolt so it about ready for a head gasket! Also the front two door andles are broke but can be open from inside. <Common> I AM NEGOTIABLE I can send more pics of the car if interested.... <After a while you could make your money back from saving in gas!>

·
Registered
353 Posts
It would be a great comuter car, but not for me. The 95 SOHC Neon gets 46 mpg at 55-60 that replaced a 96 3 banger Geo Metro that got 60.1...while the wifes 2011 Prius gets a shocking 62.1 at 55-60! My SRT4 is getting 33 and the old Matchbox, 84 Horizon only gets 24 (gear ratio) mpg.

·
Registered
353 Posts
To get 46 mpg on a 95 Neon SOHC you need to do the following:
Gut the cat
TB from the Neon that has an automatic
Get rid of the stock air filter assembly and put a CAI on it....homemade ok
Get the cheapest V8 Camaro or Mustang muffler to replace the stock one
drive at 55-60 mph
All of the above should get you to 41 mpg
Hypermilling, shutting off the motor when you need to slow down for a stop or going downhill and bump starting it in 5th gear will get you 2 more. Removing ALL of the powersteering components will get you 3 more and pick the car up 7/10ths in the 1/4 mile...worth about 9 hp, but a bitch in slow speed parking situations.
This car and its mpg is the reason we sold the 60.1 mpg Geo metro 3 banger. The wife would not ride in the Geo, but would in the Neon. The Neon also has AC and is a 4 door, not to mention being a lot more comfortable and quieter than the Geo.

·
Registered
353 Posts
The 98 Neon was rated at 41, but the one I used to have only did it after a gutted cat, TB from the automatic car, better muffler, CAI, and underdrive pulley kit.

The stupid Smart car is rated at 41 or 42 and is dang near as heavy as the older 1st gen Neons. The Fiat 500 only gets 38 highway. What car is smarter to drive for economy?

On the Prius Chat Forums I am shocked that not to many (very few) bought their cars to "save the earth"...we got ours to save $$$$$

One last thing, the SRT4 used to get 36...YES THIRTY SIX! It was a stage two with a Forward Motion E1 turbo and ran barely in the 12s. There S3 turbo put me almost into the 11s but lost 3 mpg, still great at 33 mpg though....and low 12s! I have to shift at 5300 from 1-2 and 5500 after that since it goes too lean after those rpms since it still is S2 electronics. A DSP should fix that problem and enable me to raise the boost from 18 psi to near 25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts