Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get a new rack and pinion for my 1989 Shelby Daytona. But every where i call ask what size tires. But none list it for my 16's that came factory on the car. So what ones will fit my car, and whats the steering ratio on them??

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The racks for these cars are a very fast ratio rack. That is figured by counting the amount of turns from lock to lock. I would not advise getting a rack from some place like Autozone. If you do, at minimum make sure the turns from lock to lock are the exact same as yours. I recommend sending it to Steer and Gear Mopar, Heavy Duty Truck, Light Truck Parts Remanufacturing they specialize in Mopar stuff. $140.00 for a complete rebuild and they will replace anthing that needs replaced, all but new outer tierod ends. It comes back looking brand new and has a warrenty. Very pleased with their work, best of all I know it IS the correct rack for my car.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I looked into it and a bit and some claim that the "fast ratio" is just due to stopper(s) on the rack limiting the turning radius and others verifying it by the limited turning circle. I'm not sure that this is a fact, but to me sounds reasonable as that car came with the largest factory tires on a TD so limiting the rack's travel to limit tire rubbing makes sense to me.

I ended up getting that exact one from autozone(89 daytona w/ 15" wheels) for my 89 Spirit and It does Not rub with 245/45/17's. Now hitting the front of the fenders because of the height is another story, but is fine now that I modified it.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hi there...seeing as we're both on *our* side of the border...:)...you'll probably get a Fenco reman rack here. They are the most common rebuilders here. They supply to Can. Tire, Napa here, as well as Carquest, You here in Ontario?..the common power rack is a 2.5 ratio item, the fast rack is 2.2 ratio lock to lock. I know the fast rack could be had on Shelby Lancers, as well as Dodges' Lancer Shelby, but I don't know for sure what other cars it was an option on. If by chance your rack IS a fast rack....you don't want to be trading it in for a reman, you may not get a fast rack back, check the ratio before you pull it from the car, if it the *good* rack, get that one rebuilt. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im moving back to ont here soon, i live in NS now. My rack is good, but i bent it tryign to get my steerning column out. I had to winich it out. So i think its bent now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts