Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Lebaron GTC Coupe that is ready to go back on the road after sitting in storage for twenty years. The power steering rack seals are leaking bad. The rack also does not look to be original. It appears it is near impossible to find a reman for 15/16 inch wheels for 1989 any more. I have a rack from an old 1988 GTC. It has been sitting on a shelf for a few years and it at least has a bad inner tie-rod so I am reluctant to use it.
Is there any issues with using a 1992 Feel Firm for 16 inch wheels? Alignment/bolt sizes/location/lines?

Thank
Gary

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I bought a seal kit. The tearing down and putting back together was not horrible. I needed two special tool (fabricated them). The first to unthread the plastic cap on the bottom of the pinion. The second was a tube to compress the pinion seals so the pinion would go back in. The one mistake I made was not marking the pinion and rack positions so I may need to pull the rack gear back out, so the steering wheel and rack are both centered. Tools needed for the process: Two large adjustable wrenches and an allen wrench for the inner tie rods, line wrenches, C clip pliers, blunt chisel (or something to rotate the end plug for keeper removal). I will update this once I get tires on the ground and test for leaks.

I would still like us to have a compatibility list for racks. I know the part numbers in the books are no help. It seems they changed them every year. Is the difference just the size of the plug in the passenger side? Are the rack or pinion teeth different? I think I may pull apart some old junk TRW from 88/89 Lebarons/Daytonas in the future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts