1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ride: 1990 Dodge Daytona Shelby
Color: White exterior, bordeaux interior
Engine: '89 2.5l turbo I, still sporting the Mitsubishi turbo
Modifications: Factory '89 Radiator/Intercooler, 255 Walbro, MBC set for 13lbs, transmission oil cooler
Mileage: 194K on body and a413, about 135K on engine

For as long as I've been driving, I've always been in an EEK of some sort. The first car I actually owned in high school was an '87 Daytona Pacifica. That, combined with fond memories of my Dad's '86 Laser turbo, kindled a long-time love affair with the G body. Sadly, I ended up turbo-less through college.

Fast forward to 2004 when I found this clean '90 Shelby for sale a few minutes up the road from me. It was being driven by a grandmother who had, for some reason, taken over driving it from her son. I test drove it and that was it, I had to have it. Sadly, the engine blew a couple days later. The F-shaped plastic vacuum splitter in the boost control line broke and the little Mitsu went nuclear. Due to funding issues, the car ended up sitting in a barn from 2004 until 2008 when it received a donor motor from an '89 Spirit with 80k on it. I've had to make a few repairs here and there, but mostly everything that's been modified has been for safety or piece of mind. The paint is more or less the same as it was when I bought it. I've mostly worked on fixing the decades of wear and making it comfortable. If the auto trans ever dies, I'll consider swapping it to a manual. Also, it's my daily driver with working A/C. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha. You're not the first person to lust after my black cargo cover. I saw a black and red 2-tone interior in a '90+ LeBaron one time and it kinda stuck with me. So, I've been slowly tweaking mine to look similar. I found that black cover in a junkyard many years ago. It only gets put on the car for special occasions. The rest of the time, I have the correct bordeaux colored one. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts