Turbo Dodge Forums banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
lol
that's not a bad mod for the top half of a two piece once you have replaced it with a plenum

make the top into something sellable ...

nice project to watch - there was a black shortbox 4 cyl 5 spd dakota at my local dealer way back that I still wish I'd had the 6K for in the day

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Wow. Johny! Your a genius. There are like a thousand top halves sitting around peoples garages. Looneytuner has one by me. He installed a Lengel unit.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
7.25", same as used in a lot of slant six car going back to the sixties. There are some upgrades available. Of coarse, one could always source a V8 Dakota axle too.

I'll include some links below.

Factory ratios offered include but are not limited to:

2.26:1 - Used in many civilian M-bodies over the years
2.76:1 - Used in 80s Dakotas
2.93:1
3.21:1 - Used in 90s Dakotas
3.23:1 - Used in many Slant 6 cars from 1963-1969, and 80s Dakotas
3.55:1 - Used in 80s Dakotas
3.90:1 - Used in 90s Dakotas
3.91:1 - Used in 67 Formula S Barracudas with power-lock
4.11:1

Aftermarket gear ratios available include but are not limited to:

2.26:1
2.76:1
2.94:1
3.21:1
3.23:1
3.55:1
3.90:1
4.10:1
4.11:1

https://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=73.0

https://www.drivetrainshop.com/Chrysler_7_25_s/80.htm

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
Here's what Hollander Lists. This is for a '95 but should be the same.

4X2, Hexagon Cover (Chrysler 7 1 4), 2.76 Ratio
4X2, Hexagon Cover (Chrysler 7 1 4), 3.21 Ratio
4X2, Hexagon Cover (Chrysler 7 1 4), 3.55 Ratio
4X2, Round Cover (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.21 Ratio
4X2, Round Cover (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.55 Ratio
4X2, Round Cover (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.90 Ratio
4X4 (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.21 Ratio
4X4 (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.55 Ratio
4X4 (Chrysler 8 1 4), 3.90 Ratio

·
Super Moderator
11,684 Posts
if looking for a rear axle don't forget the 9 1/4's that came in some late dusters and road runners
it should be hundreds cheeper than an 8 3/4 .. and they also had possi units (sure grip)

it should also be a bit lighter than the 8 3/4

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yea, its the 7.25" rear. I have thought about grabbing one out of a v8 that will accept an lsd, or locker. Aftermarket parts for the 7.25 are very limited, and pretty much doesn't exist. The intake manifold was bought that way, and works very well for what I need. I took the truck across the country this last weekend, and put about 1000 miles on it to finish out the break in. Everything went very well, except near the end of the drive I began getting puffs of blue smoke out of the exhaust.... Always something. It began getting worse, but I got her home. Burned about a quart of oil, Im guessing over about 150 of the last miles. The smoke is a good amount when taking off after standing for a bit. This pushed me toward guessing its something turbo related but pulled the plugs just to be sure, which turned out to be clean. Very good thing on my end as I know my rings and gasket are all good, but my turbo has definitely let a seal go. I pulled the intake off and have a nice puddle of oil in it. Its an old turbo with unknown miles on it so I sorta expected it to come at some point in time. In other words... Im in the market for a rebuilt garrett ;) I do have a 2.5" Turbonetics swing valve that can probably pay for a bit of it.
This project is keeping me busy, and my wallet light.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Any chance the oil issue is PCV/ crankcase venting related??

If you run the Engine without the hose from the turbo to I/C you can rule out the turbo.

Or rule it in if oil is exiting the turbo.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Any chance the oil issue is PCV/ crankcase venting related??

If you run the Engine without the hose from the turbo to I/C you can rule out the turbo.

Or rule it in if oil is exiting the turbo.

Thanks
Randy
Im not sure I follow. I have changed the valve cover to a NA style and have both outlets ran to an oil catch can. This should keep the crankcase pretty free of pressure, and ensure that I am having quality draining of the oil from the turbo. From what I can tell, the only way I am burning oil outside of the combustion chamber is that I am leaking from an oil seal in the turbo, into the exhaust.. If you think there might be something else I could check first, Im all ears.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
While it's rarely the turbo, it is possible.

If you don't have any vacuum source to your valve cover, catch can etc, no problem.

Any vacuum source from to your intake/turbo is suspect, if in fact there is one.

I reread and see you are thinking turbo oil in the exhaust, not intake.

But if there's oil in the intake it's normally crankcase venting related.

It can't get there from the exhaust.

It possibly could get there from the Turbo is why I mentioned running N/A

Oil from a leaking compressor would have to travel through the piping to the intake.

Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Glad you had a safe trip! Unfortunate it's burning oil. If charge piping has oil in it, it's likely that turbo's 4 piece compressor seal.

Unrelated question. Post 14 on page 1... Those cracks around the lifter bores, is that a non-issue?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
While it's rarely the turbo, it is possible.

If you don't have any vacuum source to your valve cover, catch can etc, no problem.

Any vacuum source from to your intake/turbo is suspect, if in fact there is one.

I reread and see you are thinking turbo oil in the exhaust, not intake.

But if there's oil in the intake it's normally crankcase venting related.

It can't get there from the exhaust.

It possibly could get there from the Turbo is why I mentioned running N/A

Oil from a leaking compressor would have to travel through the piping to the intake.

Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks
Randy
Your right on those, although I think I should have been clearer as to what I meant on my original post. By intake, I was referring to the intake of the turbo, or the inlet side. when I took off the filter I had a small pool or oil. The shaft has about 1 mm of movement side to side, but nothing in and out, which should be alright, but may be a problem. not entirely sure on that one. I don't have a vacuum source to the valve cover, or the turbo. They are all separate at this point. I read into the problem a bit more, and although I believe I have very good valve cover ventilation, I went ahead and reworked the tubing and drilled a nice hole on the top of my catch can, then paired it with a filter to make things flow better. I will be running it some tomorrow to see if this helps, or fixes anything.
My next suspect may be that the turbo isn't draining properly and is backing up into the turbo. I will have to take a look at my oil return line, although it is run straight down from the turbo, has minimal bends into the oil pan, and is a large diameter tubing. I've never had a turbo apart, so i'm not sure what the seal is like between the oil passage and the exhaust housing, but oil is getting in somewhere after the cylinder.
Thanks again for the information. Ill figure out the problem soon enough with all this insight :grin2:

Glad you had a safe trip! Unfortunate it's burning oil. If charge piping has oil in it, it's likely that turbo's 4 piece compressor seal.

Unrelated question. Post 14 on page 1... Those cracks around the lifter bores, is that a non-issue?
Unfortunate indeed. From the spark plugs, it looks like its happening after the combustion process which is good, in a way... I've got a few things to check out and try before coming to a confirmed diagnosis.

I had to go back and take a look at that photo. Definitely made me do a double take. From what I can tell you may just be looking at the bits of casting that are around the bottom, or if your referring to the black crack looking things around the rim of the lifter bores, those are just grease "hairs" that are from the assembly lube that I put around the top of the lifters. They definitely do look more and more like cracks the more I look at it. I'm sure that would have been a problem for sure. :|

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
local friend had a 440/727 swapped '96 (orig. 2.5/5-spd) dakota and ran the stock 7.25" 3.92 posi rear for many years...
and smoked those big rear tires many times.

kinda like our FWD cars,
until you put slicks on, it'll just spin 'em and not break anything ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes, around the top of the lifter bores. I was refreshing myself on this build, re-read all of it, saw that pic and freaked out. I'm glad I was mistaken. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I got a 440 and 727 from a local guy here that he pulled out of a '98 Dakota project. The motor and trans were from a '72 Plymouth wagon originally. They are set to go into my '71 New Yorker coupe.

Crash, your build has seriously made me want to go get my friends '89 Mopar Express and turbo it. It was a 2.5 truck originally. I didn't ask him if they had installed an 8 3/4, but they may have had to. The truck was drag raced with a 360 in it from 1997-2005. Its silver with black and red graphics.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I got a 440 and 727 from a local guy here that he pulled out of a '98 Dakota project. The motor and trans were from a '72 Plymouth wagon originally. They are set to go into my '71 New Yorker coupe.

Crash, your build has seriously made me want to go get my friends '89 Mopar Express and turbo it. It was a 2.5 truck originally. I didn't ask him if they had installed an 8 3/4, but they may have had to. The truck was drag raced with a 360 in it from 1997-2005. Its silver with black and red graphics.

You absolutely should! It a very fun daily driver. I'm still working out all the kinks, but its quite quick and sleeperish when shes up and going. I was taking parts off of an 89 v6 (or v8, I cant remember) Dakota that had the same 5 speed that came with my truck. I wonder if your friend is running the same stock transmission. Would be neat to know they can take a beating. Having the graphics and bed accessories would be neat. Currently I just have a small "Turbo Intercooled" sticker on each side. Keeps it clean and stealthy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Yes, around the top of the lifter bores. I was refreshing myself on this build, re-read all of it, saw that pic and freaked out. I'm glad I was mistaken. :thumb:
That would have been quite the crack. Cant imagine how that could happen, but i'm sure it wouldn't be a good thing. Hopefully it was a good read. I feel like a majority of it is just me struggling with random things that come up, and half complaining about it:grin2:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I hope I didn't insult you by thinking you missed giant cracks..that turned out to be an illusion.

I enjoy the build, but will never forgive photobucket for taking a bunch of pics away from us viewers.

3/4 of the forum is struggling with random things and complaining, it's par for the course!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
You absolutely should! It a very fun daily driver. I'm still working out all the kinks, but its quite quick and sleeperish when shes up and going. I was taking parts off of an 89 v6 (or v8, I cant remember) Dakota that had the same 5 speed that came with my truck. I wonder if your friend is running the same stock transmission. Would be neat to know they can take a beating. Having the graphics and bed accessories would be neat. Currently I just have a small "Turbo Intercooled" sticker on each side. Keeps it clean and stealthy

The previous owners were running a 727 automatic behind the 360.:smile2:

41 - 60 of 80 Posts